H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gunmike1

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by gunmike1 »

I haven’t had to garden for a while since I moved to a place with landscaping included in the rent, but this thread reminded me that I haven’t used my SE H1 Spyderhawk in a long while. I’m going to have to pull it out. I should be myself the new sprint when it comes out to have a backup, and because the color will be better to me than the yellow on mine. Great thread Thom, got the man himself to take action and bring the Spyderhawk back to life.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:

I do believe that down the road if they consider a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle then many professionals in the fishing, landscaping, farming and many other tradesmen will take them more seriously.
no doubt of the potential as a gardening tool of the Spyderco Hawkbills, or for fishermen and farmers...but, let's not forget the power of the "Prepper/Survivalist" community on the net, YouTube, and diverse forums. They often look for blades that can double as self defense, first-response or last ditch knives in a carryable format, and these curved blades are ideal for this purpose.

If all those looking for backup-to-gun blades, ideal rescue, defensive or emergency use folders discovered the potential and cutting ability of these marvelous knives they'd all run after a Spyderco Hawkbill to add to their gear. :spyder:

And let's not fool ourselves, the "tactical, prepper, survivalist" trend is powerful and has lots of fans and adepts on the Internet nowadays, so that'd be the ideal group to target to expand the variety, knowledge and usage of Spyderco Hawkbills.

This is where bloggers, YouTubers and us forumites have our place and role to show how nice of a folding knife any Spyderco curved blade is to the entire community ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I do believe that down the road if they consider a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle then many professionals in the fishing, landscaping, farming and many other tradesmen will take them more seriously.
no doubt of the potential as a gardening tool of the Spyderco Hawkbills, or for fishermen and farmers...but, let's not forget the power of the "Prepper/Survivalist" community on the net, YouTube, and diverse forums. They often look for blades that can double as self defense, first-response or last ditch knives in a carryable format, and these curved blades are ideal for this purpose. :spyder:

And let's not fool ourselves, the "tactical, prepper, survivalist" trend is powerful and has lots of fans and adepts on the Internet nowadays, so that'd be the ideal group to target to expand the variety, knowledge and usage of Spyderco Hawkbills. ;)
PEACENT you again stole my thunder but in a very good and very informative way ;) With the "Prepper/survivalist" movement getting as big as it is I do think it's very important for them to be aware of the great selection of very high quality hardware that Spyderco can offer them. Not only with the great Hawkbill blades but many other Spyderedged tools that just aren't available through most other knife companies.

We've said it before but it bears repeating that the Hawkbill blade may indeed be one of the most misunderstood tools out there. Yes a comprehensive instructional video for Hawkbills and Reverse S blades both would truly create a huge market in the Prepper/Survivalist community. Not sure I would put up pics of your sutures :eek: :rolleyes: But I guess it is what it is :rolleyes:

Now some of the brethren have recently stated that the smaller Hawkbills will accomplish everything you need>> but I beg to differ with them because some of the jobs I've done with my Spyderhawk models would have taken a much longer time to accomplish. OH I love my Harpy/TASMAN and Merlin models but the Spyderhawk stands alone and is in a league of it's own as well.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Each moment that passes is a moment closer to a Spyderhawk Salt with orange, FRN scales. And I'm one moment more psyched.
vivi

Post by vivi »

thombrogan wrote:Each moment that passes is a moment closer to a Spyderhawk Salt with orange, FRN scales. And I'm one moment more psyched.
I'll second that. Just stocked up on Tasman Salts...I'll be getting multiple Spyderhawks as well...
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'll go one further than that>> I'm going to take up finding pop and beer cans on weekends rather than watching football games just to make sure I get to stock up on Spyderhawk models. I'm really hoping that Spyderco is taking all of us Hawkbill aficionados seriously because with all the anticipation this model really could return to the main line up with very good results for Spyderco.

If they only do a Sprint Run of this new Spyderhawk I don't look for them to last long at all.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Zome Spyderhawk please please please! I don't care the steel. Maybe H1 SE and ZDP PE.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:Zome Spyderhawk please please please! I don't care the steel. Maybe H1 SE and ZDP PE.
A G-10 Harpy and a GOLDENSTONE>> that's a really beautiful pair of tools ;) I not only dream of another G-10 Harpy but I also long for a G-10 Spyderhawk as well. This has been a most interesting thread to say the least. It's not only brought attention to a past classic model but it has also brought attention to Spyderco's great Hawkbill blades in general.

I'm starting to side with THOMBROGAN wanting a nuclear orange FRN Spyderhawk and if they would do an FRN version in PE & SE both. But if they did do a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle the color won't be as important of a factor.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Enjoying my TaSman today as it's the only one left (my RIT Dyed brother to this one was lost this August... :( ) and now they'll start to dry up in all places.

Fortunately and hopefully the Spyderhawk is coming back soon and I'll be able to compensate for the loss of my nice hawkbill...with a bigger and meaner one, preferably in nuclear orange! :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Take heart PEACENT because the Spyderhawk is coming back soon. I hope it sells out so fast that Spyderco will consider putting it back into the main line up. It shouldn't have ever been discontinued to begin with IMO. But since that last time it was discontinued it's popularity has risen significantly. I've had at least 4 people in the past month ask me where they can get one. I've also got a good friend I trade with want to trade for one of my VG-10 units. It's a really tough decision because it's just like part of my family at this point :D

You know the more I think about it with the Spyderhawk having the longer blade it might just be interesting to do a few units in combo edge. For quite some time now I've wondered how a combo edged Hawkbill would do on many different cutting jobs. it makes sense because most of Spyderco's Catcherman models have mostly been made in combo edge.

Hawkbill sales will catapult if more people would give them a try. I recommend anyone who has not as of yet ever used one to start out with a full Spyderedged Hawkbill and use it as a companion blade for you main EDC.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote: You know the more I think about it with the Spyderhawk having the longer blade it might just be interesting to do a few units in combo edge. For quite some time now I've wondered how a combo edged Hawkbill would do on many different cutting jobs. it makes sense because most of Spyderco's Catcherman models have mostly been made in combo edge.
I believe the Crossbil from the Byrd line had a Combo edge version.
I've wanted to get another Spyderco hawkbill since I lost my Tasman last August so a few days ago I found and bought a Byrd Crossbill, G10, PE, to try both a new hawkbill design with a size between the Tasman and the Spyderhawk, a new handle material for hawkbills (G10 instead of FRN) and finally my first plain edged Hawk from Spyderco.

Should be here next week

So excited! :D
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I hope spyderco has been listening. I would love to replace my edc tasman with a Spyderhawk
Justin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

crazywednesday wrote:I hope spyderco has been listening. I would love to replace my edc tasman with a Spyderhawk
Oh they're going to listen because we ain't gonna shut up until we get our desires met :D And it's not just our select few on this thread that want's a new Spyderhawk. No there are a lot of people throughout the knife world that would grab a Spyderhawk in a nanosecond if made available.

For what it's worth I just named the Spyderhawk the official knife of Halloween on another thread and hopefully it will spill over to this thread.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:I hope spyderco has been listening. I would love to replace my edc tasman with a Spyderhawk
Oh they're going to listen because we ain't gonna shut up until we get our desires met :D And it's not just our select few on this thread that want's a new Spyderhawk. No there are a lot of people throughout the knife world that would grab a Spyderhawk in a nanosecond if made available.

For what it's worth I just named the Spyderhawk the official knife of Halloween on another thread and hopefully it will spill over to this thread.
just because of that I'll carve my Pumpkin today with it.
Last year was the Tasman, let's go big now! :D

and I agree, I won't shut up until we see a new iteration of the big hawkbills in the 2018 catalog or whenever. Even a new Reverse S would have me happy.
A nuclear orange Spyderhawk announcement for Halloween would be the best colour and blade possible to celebrate it. :spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

said and done!

pulling out the colorful ones for the Pumpkin carving, before

and after

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I thought there would be a plain-edged one to take even more money from me. If I have to have only one, I'm happier than heck it's the Spyder-Edged version. Can't wait.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Pre-ordered 2x orange Spyderhawks! Excited they are actually happening!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

bh49 wrote:When can I place pre-order for Orange SE Spyderhawk?
I placed my order tonight at KC
Justin
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you,
I saw this
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is fabulous news and I'm going my favorite dealer tomorrow. This Sprint Run of the Spyderhawk along with the upsurge in popularity of the small Hawkbills i.e. DragonHawk and Ladyhawk is going to bolster the sales of all the Hawkbills.

Now next on the list should be either a G-10 and/or Carbon Fiber HARPY :cool:

I also agree with THOM that they should have done this Sprint in PE & SE both :confused: With all the PE fans we have here it just doesn't make sense that they would only do one edge type :confused: