H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dtoad

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by dtoad »

Blue BF hawk up on ebay today. Don't see these often, but too rich for my blood since I already own one. Just thought I would give a heads up. Not mine, nor do I know who they are.....
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dtoad wrote:Blue BF hawk up on ebay today. Don't see these often, but too rich for my blood since I already own one. Just thought I would give a heads up. Not mine, nor do I know who they are.....
Tease
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as a collector piece in the Spyderco Hawkbill sector I don't think that there is one that even compares to the blue handled, VG-10 PE Spyderhawk. Probably the only one that even comes close would be the 2005 era, Carbon Fiber Harpy models (PE & SE). Actually I think those CF Harpy models would be a lot easier to run down>> although either one would be rather tough to get your hands on.

So with this upcoming Spyderhawk Sprint I would highly recommend holding on to it if you get one. I would say it would be wise to get at least 2 to 3 of them.

Or better yet I hope this new Spyderhawk Sprint is so well received that it ends up being in the main line up and not being a Sprint Run at all. Since the last time it got discontinued the popularity of the Spyderhawk has really gone viral>> and that's the way it should be.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The CF Harpy shows up on the bay from time to time (one is actually ending today) but I never see the Blue PE models show up anywhere.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:The CF Harpy shows up on the bay from time to time (one is actually ending today) but I never see the Blue PE models show up anywhere.
Yeah the Carbon Fiber Harpy was a big hit and gained value almost immediately when they ran out of stock. I remember doubling my money on one after only having it for 5 months or so. It baffles me to no end that as much as people like the CF Harpy and G-10 Harpy that we haven't seen more of them in new Sprint Runs at least :confused:

Also I would just be beside myself if they did a Carbon Fiber Spyderhawk :eek: :cool: if they have no plans on bringing back the Spyderhawk then they ought to do a variety of Sprint Runs. One in CF, one in G-10 and FRN Spyderhawks in nuclear colors too. I don't think sales would at all be any problem.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dtoad wrote:Would love to see anything in regards to the Spyderhawk return actually. I own all the previous versions, and have 3 that I use and carry on a consistent bases. I cherish the limited edition blue that I own and would really like to see a new, full size hawk in either H1 or the new nitrogen based LC200N. Quite honestly, it can be in any flavor or edge IMO as long as it's the full sized 3.6" hawk blade or larger :D . Preference is the PE
Great input "dtoad" and you are just like everyone else I know that has owned and use the Spyderhawk model. When you get past the "ninja, martial arts" hype that many people attribute the Spyderhawk as having and actually use one in everyday work applications it doesn't take long to realize that the Spyderhawk is a premium grade, hard use knife. The pull cutting leverage you can get from it with the extra long blade is awesome. Oh you bet I still love my Harpy, Merlin and TASMAN models and still do use them. But when I have a really serious job where a Hawkbill can be a big advantage then the Spyderhawk leads the way in my experience.

It really sounds like you've used the Spyderhawk model quite a bit yourself.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

JD Spydo wrote: When you get past the "ninja, martial arts" hype that many people attribute the Spyderhawk as having and actually use one in everyday work applications it doesn't take long to realize that the Spyderhawk is a premium grade, hard use knife. The pull cutting leverage you can get from it with the extra long blade is awesome.

But when I have a really serious job where a Hawkbill can be a big advantage then the Spyderhawk leads the way in my experience.
JD, perfectly said. heavily used for me, and have a few tucked a way for medicine as well. Thanks Bro!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dtoad wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: When you get past the "ninja, martial arts" hype that many people attribute the Spyderhawk as having and actually use one in everyday work applications it doesn't take long to realize that the Spyderhawk is a premium grade, hard use knife. The pull cutting leverage you can get from it with the extra long blade is awesome.

But when I have a really serious job where a Hawkbill can be a big advantage then the Spyderhawk leads the way in my experience.
JD, perfectly said. heavily used for me, and have a few tucked a way for medicine as well. Thanks Bro!
That's a great line up of Spyderhawks you have there Brother :cool: I was just playing with my blue VG-10 PE model the other day. With that VG-10 steel it's incredible how sharp of an edge you can get with it if you have the patience.

When push comes to shove I'm forced to admit that I really like my VG-10 Spyderhawks the best. Although I'm not at all opposed to the H-1 nitrogen based steel blades on the newer models but I would like to see a Spyderhawk Sprint with one of the supersteels at some point.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Can't let this thread die. Gotta keep it up.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:Can't let this thread die. Gotta keep it up.
Yeah VASH the old cliche is surely applicable in this case.. You know the one that your parents quoted when you were little :rolleyes: "A Squeaky Wheel Get's Oiled"

Well the only oil that will fix my Squeak would be a Sprint Run SPYDERHAWK. Surprised we haven't heard from THOM lately :)

No VAsH we're not going to let this one die anytime soon.

Hawkbills truly have a cult following of this Forum but the Spyderhawk has it's own cult following.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Been pretending I'm patient :cool:

Tasman 2 looks slightly classier than my Tasman, but it's still not an orange Spyderhawk Salt. Even found myself looking at sleek spydies with ledeburitic alloys, but they're even further from the orange Spyderhawk Salt ideal.

And ideally, the orange Spyderhawk Salt ideal is to have an SE and a PE and buying super-adorbs man jewelry interferes with buying two orange Spyderhawk Salts.

Not keen on the bandwagon of trying this design in LC200N, either. It's probably the world's greatest steel and I hope to try it in a Caribbean Salt or two some day, but not for an orange Spyderhawk Salt.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah I definitely want this run in H1 too. This is a user's knife plain and simple. No bells and whistles or streamers. They can do that after. I just want frn and H1. I'm thinking I might even cut a wave into one of them.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

VashHash wrote:Yeah I definitely want this run in H1 too. This is a user's knife plain and simple. No bells and whistles or streamers. They can do that after. I just want frn and H1. I'm thinking I might even cut a wave into one of them.
I contemplated the same Vash with my old SE VG-10 hawk before I let it go.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I'm for optimal performance overall. It's an established fact that H-1 ( according to Spyderco themselves) is one of the better if not the very best blade steel for Spyderedges. And it's been recently reported by knife users who have gotten one of the plain edged LC200N models that it outperforms H-1 blade steel in plain edge.

S0 why not have the best of both worlds by having the Spyderedged version of this Sprint Spyderhawk run with H-1 and the plain edged version with LC200N. To me it's just a no-brainer and for the folks who want this beast in plain edge you can give them a premium blade steel with extra edge retention.

Also I eventually want to see some Spyderco Hawkbills with G-10 handles. I very much want the return of the G-10 Harpy and I really, really want a Spyderhawk with G-10 scales.

Also as far as handle color>> I'm sticking to my guns on that one>>> I want the Spyderedged version of the Spyderhawk to have a different handle color than the plain edge. Just like they did when they did the original Spyderhawk in VG-10>> blue PE and black SE. But you can use any selection of nuclear colors for the Sprint run. This is simply a reasonable request. And I hope that the GReat Spyder Factory thinks so as well.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD I want a blue VG-10 spyderhawk to come back. Those knives look great. I love that color blue. I just cant afford secondary market pricing.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:JD I want a blue VG-10 spyderhawk to come back. Those knives look great. I love that color blue. I just cant afford secondary market pricing.
Well after they deliver on this H-1 Spyderhawk Sprint I'll be right there with you lobbying for another blue, PE, VG-10 Spyderhawk. That was a Forum Knife at that time (2003-2004)by the way and few people remember it being a Forum knife. I think it was also some special promotional offering through Bladeforums also.

I think there were about 300 which had collector numbers on them. The first one I ever got was a numbered unit.

But for some really strange reason the Spyderedged, black VG-10 unit or the blue PE, VG-10 unit either one ever got off the ground in their 2003 debut. It wasn't until Brother Clovisc sold Spyderco on trying the Spyderhawk in H-1 back around 08 or 09 is when it finally got the fanfare it so richly deserved.

Sure I would like to see some of the VG-10 Spyderhawks return and I know my good pal Landon would too :D
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Come on, I need some BACKUPZZZ!

My Spyderhawk users are starting to show some wear, and I want more pristine brothers in case anything happens to them!

ah, yeah, nuclear orange please
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peacent my good Brother if we get our way concerning this Spyderhawk Sprint run I'm sure you'll have as many Spyderhawks as you deem necessary ;) . But don't quit beating the drum and don't quit squeaking the wheels because I want Spyderco to know just how much we want this icon to return. And this will give many new folks a chance at trying a premium Hawkbill without paying a king's ransom to get one.

Once they do two or three Sprints of the past classics like the Spyderhawk, G-10 Harpy and maybe even return the MERLIN model in one of the newer Japanese supersteels I truly believe that the amount of knife users wanting a Hawkbill will grow exponentially.

I do believe that down the road if they consider a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle then many professionals in the fishing, landscaping, farming and many other tradesmen will take them more seriously. PEACENT your constant displays of your hard working regimens that you deal with on a daily basis is letting the broad base of knife uses know that Hawkbills are truly serious work tools.

Keep it up my Brother because you are truly an evangelist for the Hawkbill and Reverse S blade>> not to mention you are also an ambassador of the Spyderedge as well. Your efforts won't go unnoticed I can assure you ;)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I would be very interested to try a PE Spyderhawk in LC200N.

It is surprising that hawkbills remain a "niche" item with such a small yet intensely devoted cult. Perhaps there is a need for educational outreach -- an illustrative video and/or article about their practicality in various diverse applications? Any hawkbill fanatics here with skills in video and/or blogging?

#SpyderhawkRedux
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

clovisc wrote:I would be very interested to try a PE Spyderhawk in LC200N.

It is surprising that hawkbills remain a "niche" item with such a small yet intensely devoted cult. Perhaps there is a need for educational outreach -- an illustrative video and/or article about their practicality in various diverse applications? Any hawkbill fanatics here with skills in video and/or blogging?

#SpyderhawkRedux
Brother I couldn't agree with you more ;) The old cliche "Try it!! You'll Like IT!! couldn't apply any better than it does concerning the many specialized and practical uses of Hawkbill blades.

It wasn't until I took a Spyderhawk by mistake that I discovered what a valuable tool that it is. And I've never looked back or second guessed the uses of these great companion tools.

Yeah the Hawkbills and Reverse S blades both really need a video to convey to the knife buying public what great tools these blades are. I believe that sales would skyrocket if people would discover the many uses of those blades.