What parts of a knife could I 3d print?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tyrdle

What parts of a knife could I 3d print?

Post by Tyrdle »

I have a 3d printer and I am wondering what I could 3D print for my knives. I'm thinking sheaths, custom handle scales, etc. I have experience 3d modeling also, and I think with some time I could successfully model a handle scale if I wanted. I have a Mamba, Positron, S110v PM2, UKPK, Delica, and Endura.
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
SG89

Re: What parts of a knife could I 3d print?

Post by SG89 »

Probably start with scales or maybe those plastic wave attachments
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Aside from scales and spacers I don't know of any parts I would trust 3d printed.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Does anyone know where I can get a good image of a backspacer for any of these knives?
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

anything that can be replaced with plastic pretty much but it may not be as strong
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I don't know if this is possible with your printer or with any printer for that matter, but what about both scales and backspacer all one piece.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Ryno wrote:I don't know if this is possible with your printer or with any printer for that matter, but what about both scales and backspacer all one piece.
I probably could with supports. The hard part would be fitting the liner into the printed part.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Tyrdle wrote:
Ryno wrote:I don't know if this is possible with your printer or with any printer for that matter, but what about both scales and backspacer all one piece.
I probably could with supports. The hard part would be fitting the liner into the printed part.
If the material is stiff enough, does it need liners?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Assuming this is an extrusion type printer that can print ABS or PLA plastics it could be useful for: no parts of a real knife. Maybe you could make a little display stand or something. Or a trainer version of your favorite Spyderco.

The SLA type printers crank out something different entirely. I could see making scales with one of those.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Ryno wrote:
Tyrdle wrote:
If the material is stiff enough, does it need liners?
The material is not really super stiff. PLA is actually somewhat brittle. The main alternative, ABS, is much harder to print with but more durable. There are different plastics and blends like rubber filament, carbon fiber filament, steel, etc. but I haven't tried many of them
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

zhyla wrote:Assuming this is an extrusion type printer that can print ABS or PLA plastics it could be useful for: no parts of a real knife. Maybe you could make a little display stand or something. Or a trainer version of your favorite Spyderco.

The SLA type printers crank out something different entirely. I could see making scales with one of those.
SLA printers also crank out something else: a price tag of several thousand dollars more. :o Or even more pricey, an SLS (powder-based) printer that could print in solid steel. I doubt I could really make a useful handle scale, but a backspacer isn't too hard. :rolleyes:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

With a high resolution printer I could totally see printing scales and backspacers, and certainly custom sheaths! That's a really cool idea actually, I'd totally give it a shot! I've done some printing with larger tips (to save time) and the product was certainly usable. Definitely ABS over PLA, and with a small tip and a little post-processing you might even get it to look good too! Personally I'd definitely work towards making sheaths and holsters rather than scales (unless you want something totally unconventional for a handle) because it's going to be quite hard to get something as well done as genuine Spyderco manufacturing.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not even sure scales can be made precisely enough to compete with CNC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm pretty sure if you have a 3D printer but you don't have a CNC mill, the competition will be skewed in favor of the printer. At least as long as you are talking about things for personal consumption. If you're talking about making parts to sell, that's a different story. I personally wouldn't buy 3D printed parts for my knife if there was anything else available.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Tyrdle wrote: The material is not really super stiff. PLA is actually somewhat brittle. The main alternative, ABS, is much harder to print with but more durable. There are different plastics and blends like rubber filament, carbon fiber filament, steel, etc. but I haven't tried many of them
I have to admit that I am woefully ignorant of 3d printing and all it can or can't do.
Ryan

SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Ironically enough, the Introvert's first few prototypes were printed, but none of them were sturdy enough for springs and pivots to stay sturdy. Carved sterilite was used in a final prototype.

I'm actually trying to print my next prototype too. I think that the extrusion PLA will do it, but I will likely still use wooden pins.