D'Allara 3 feedback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: D'Allara 3 feedback

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:11 pm
I've been carrying my D'Allara 2 the last few days and honestly it had one of the best handle designs I've ever felt. If the D3 doesn't eventually get nicely contoured scales like this knife has I'll probably pass. The feeling in hand is just fantastic. This knife is exactly what I was talking about in my folder vs fixed blade handle thread, it feels like a thinned out fixed blade.
I reaaaaly wanted to like like the D3, but I’m with you 100% on this one. It’s just not a unique enough design as it stands.
garret

Post by garret »

I do not own an d'Allara but if I recently had a CF dodo and in my humble opinion, if the ball would be a little bigger it would be PERFECT. It is not that the padlock of the dodo is difficult for me to operate but a bigger ball would make a difference. Greetings and happy to be able to give ideas to papa spy.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Garret,

Bigger ball means wider(top to bottom) knife.

sal
Pa. Woodsman

Post by Pa. Woodsman »

[/b][/b][/b]
sal wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:17 am
Hi Pa. Woodsman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you Sir.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 am

I reaaaaly wanted to like like the D3, but I’m with you 100% on this one. It’s just not a unique enough design as it stands.

I'll be totally honest, I'm being stubborn. It's a great knife but the potential is there to be so much more I just can't settle. I've got some really amazing knives I carry and I'm sort of at a point where the next purchases need to be more than just likes. With the Caribbean coming it gives this model a lot of competition, and I already like the compression lock more than the ball bearing lock. The Caribbean will have a more rounded and machined grip like I prefer and it'll come in a larger size and sheepsfoot which I highly prefer. The potential is there but it needs more if it's going to compete with other models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

The d3 was a pilot on the pattern t see if there was enough demand to tool up in 3D FRN.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 am
Thanx Garret,

sal
Compression lock would solve the Dodo's only problem.

Cmon Sal, just do it! You know you want to ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

Iove everything about this knife except the difficulty of closing. Ive found I could do 1 hand closing by rolling the ball down the ramp. I roll my entire thumb tip length down while pushing down and flick the knife to disengage lock. Probably could not do this if hands were slippery or wet.

Love the following.
Thinness, clip, blade shape, handle to blade ratio, smoothness of opening,
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 pm
The d3 was a pilot on the pattern t see if there was enough demand to tool up in 3D FRN.

sal

And how is that demand coming along? Is it too soon to wonder about a Caribbean with a D'Allara 2 style 3D FRN grip? Don't get me wrong I love G10 especially if it's machined with some texture but that D2 grip is something special. Ergonomically the D2 is among the best feeling knives I've ever had in my hand.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Evil,

We've learned that "feel good in the hand" is not as important to most as "easy to carry" meaning less pocket real estate. At this time, the demand is not sufficient to invest in FRN tooling.

sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

sal wrote:
Thanx Garret,

sal
I'm sure you've thought of this Sal, but what if the "ball" was elliptical? Sorta like Tic-Tac shaped so it stuck out slightly more on the sides but didn't increase the overall height of the profile?

Probably a custom piece at that point though so maybe not worth it just from a cost perspective let alone design.

Just a thought.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am
Hi Evil,

We've learned that "feel good in the hand" is not as important to most as "easy to carry" meaning less pocket real estate. At this time, the demand is not sufficient to invest in FRN tooling.

sal

Man that's a bummer. I guess I just prefer them to be better in use than in pocket.
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am
Hi Evil,

sal
Such a shame.. I've always hoped this would make it to FRN eventually mainly because I tend to prefer FRN as handle material but obviously it would also make the price a lot more interesting.
Haven't been able to spend much money on buying knives lately (been investing in tools/materials to make knives myself) but this is still very high on my list to try out, I think I would even like it in G10. ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 am
sal wrote:
Thanx Garret,

sal
I'm sure you've thought of this Sal, but what if the "ball" was elliptical? Sorta like Tic-Tac shaped so it stuck out slightly more on the sides but didn't increase the overall height of the profile?

Probably a custom piece at that point though so maybe not worth it just from a cost perspective let alone design.

Just a thought.
Hi Eli,

The football twists. That was the first step that ultimately led to the caged ball.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It was the price tag that kept me away from the G-10 version. I wanted it though, and if my budget was a little bigger, I would have picked one up. A little color or a different steel would have helped too. Same reason I keep passing on the Q-Ball even though I like the design.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am
Iove everything about this knife except the difficulty of closing. Ive found I could do 1 hand closing by rolling the ball down the ramp. I roll my entire thumb tip length down while pushing down and flick the knife to disengage lock. Probably could not do this if hands were slippery or wet.

Love the following.
Thinness, clip, blade shape, handle to blade ratio, smoothness of opening,
Suggest lockback or compression lock. At that point it might just be a different knife altogether if set on keeping the bearing. It would be like a gentleman's military.
kelpie

Post by kelpie »

how close to the D'Allara 3 in design will the Caribbean sheepsfoot be?
sal

Post by sal »

Different size, Different lock, Different blade thickness, different overall thickness, different blade shape, different clip,different texture, different color, different back-spacer, different blade steel, different lanyard hole. The opening hole is the same size.

sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

sal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 am
sal wrote:
Thanx Garret,

sal

Just a thought.
Hi Eli,

The football twists. That was the first step that ultimately led to the caged ball.

sal
Ah. Makes sense. I knew you'd already thought of it. :p
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

These are down to $125 on massdrop if anyone wants one last chance to try one