D'Allara 3 feedback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: D'Allara 3 feedback

Post by Larry_Mott »

PSquared wrote:
Also bear in mind that like a lot of Spyderco users, I use other brands of knives as well and have a great fondness for Axis locks - I really want (expect?) the BBL to disengage with the ease and smoothness of an Axis lock. I'm not sure if it is possible to get away from user comparisons to the Axis lock.

A larger ball probably isn't the answer without pushing the pivot even further down and the blade, in the closed position, even further out - The design / engineering gets more and more interesting. I'd like to see potential solutions to get easier finger and thumb pad access to the ball but I would suggest that if the FRN version is to appeal to a larger market (to make the costs of the molds less painful) a change in lock might be an option. It won't be a D'Allara any more but it will be a great Japanese made knife with no choil, maximum cutting edge, no jimping and a handle that is comfortable for any hand size and in most grips. A back lock would keep the Spyderco heritage strong but dare I say it, now that the Axis patent has expired, if an arrangement can be made, it would be a great candidate for the first Axis Spyderco as not too much of the original design thinking would be lost.

I probably need to go and wash my mouth out with soap and put on a flame proof suit right about now but I doubt I'm the only person thinking on these lines .....
I agree with you that a Axis lock Spyderco would be intriguing, however i don't think the D'Allara is the proper one to stray that far away from what it is/was.
A Axis lock Sage 6 would be much more appropriate IMO, provided Les De Asis and Sal still talk to each other :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Larry_Mott wrote:
PSquared wrote:
Also bear in mind that like a lot of Spyderco users, I use other brands of knives as well and have a great fondness for Axis locks - I really want (expect?) the BBL to disengage with the ease and smoothness of an Axis lock. I'm not sure if it is possible to get away from user comparisons to the Axis lock.

A larger ball probably isn't the answer without pushing the pivot even further down and the blade, in the closed position, even further out - The design / engineering gets more and more interesting. I'd like to see potential solutions to get easier finger and thumb pad access to the ball but I would suggest that if the FRN version is to appeal to a larger market (to make the costs of the molds less painful) a change in lock might be an option. It won't be a D'Allara any more but it will be a great Japanese made knife with no choil, maximum cutting edge, no jimping and a handle that is comfortable for any hand size and in most grips. A back lock would keep the Spyderco heritage strong but dare I say it, now that the Axis patent has expired, if an arrangement can be made, it would be a great candidate for the first Axis Spyderco as not too much of the original design thinking would be lost.

I probably need to go and wash my mouth out with soap and put on a flame proof suit right about now but I doubt I'm the only person thinking on these lines .....
I agree with you that a Axis lock Spyderco would be intriguing, however i don't think the D'Allara is the proper one to stray that far away from what it is/was.
A Axis lock Sage 6 would be much more appropriate IMO, provided Les De Asis and Sal still talk to each other :)
The Axis Lock is one of my favorite locking mechanisms too. No disrespect to the CBBL or BBL, but I cannot engage or disengage either these locks with one hand like I can with the Axis. In truth, if the CBBL and BBL were as easy to manipulate one-handed as the Axis, I would likely own and use several Spyderco designs that feature these locks. In theory, I prefer the mechanics of the BBL over other locks, but knives like my Poiwog, Phoenix, Manix, and Dodo seldom see much pocket time due to my clumsy two-handedness with the lock. :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal, I don't know if others would want this, but, what about a version of the D`Allara, with FRN handle, with a slightly upswept blade? Or does that sortof defeat the whole design of it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

What about linerless FRN with subtle 3D? Too light weight for a knife that big? I really like the linerless frn native, I was thinking something like that.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

I had a chance to handle the D'Allara 3 at SHOT this year. I have not handled the original models.

- I loved how slim the overall design was. Knives with the ball bearing lock tend to be wide when closed, due to the space required for the lock, so it was nice that the handle and blade were both relatively slim and narrow. I would love for a future FRN model to retain this slimness while adding some contouring: scales could be solid FRN/FRCP or use small inset liners to maximize the length of any contoured curve while minimizing added width.

- Echoing the most common criticism of the G10 D'Allara, I also found the ceramic ball slippery and hard to get at. A chamfer around the lock access would be a big improvement, as would a grippier texture applied to the ball. I wonder if it would be possible to bead-blast the ceramic bearing without changing the integrity of the lock? I don't think that a cage, like on the Manix 2, is the right solution here - it's a simple and beautiful design and the exposed ball bearing is a lovely part of it.

Always appreciate your willingness to listen and your drive to improve!
brj

Post by brj »

Evil D wrote: Neutral grip ergonomics. I enjoy choils and 50/50 choils and things like that, but it's hard to beat a grip that doesn't force your fingers into any one position, especially when there are multiple points and choils and such that force all your fingers to go towards a particular grip/position.
Spot on, David.

I've come to understand this is one of the reasons most days I end up carrying a Millie, as it still has the 50/50 choil but is never restricting you into any given grip or constricting your grip as per some pre-designed options. I do rotate my Spydercos but at some point I'm always tired of conforming to the pre-design & gravitate back to the Millie - I'd surely welcome more Spydies with neutral grip ergos.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Really hoping the price comes down significantly in the FRN model. I've wanted a D'allara since way back when, the price of the 3 is well outside my range and probably most users. I'd counter David and say yes jimping. Thumb ramps are almost always better with jimping to lock in the grip safely. Keep the FRN mold contoured, I find the trend of slab sided FRN Spydies unfortunate (Native, Manix, Byrds are all very flat at the edges rather than rounded), its not ergonomic and is a real turn-off.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

The D'Allara has always been one of my grail knives and I pre-ordered one immediately when I saw them come out. After seeing the price for what amounts to be a beta or test production knife I can't justify $191 for a knife that admittedly needs some work.
I'd like to get as much feedback as possible before engineering the mold. We know the access to the ball for unlocking is still difficult for some, but we also recognize that a bit of a learning curve is required. Please share your thoughts and experience. Thanx much.
Once the improved version comes out I will be stuck dropping ANOTHER couple hundred $$$ if I want the improvements. Transparently, I do not have any experience with the previous D'Allara's. I am a big fan of CBBL and BBL and always thought the CBBL was an improved evolution of the BBL. I'm not sure yet if I would prefer to see this knife with the CBBL. Just from reading CBBL is easier to manipulate. I also understand the desire to keep the spirit of the original knife.

I prefer open construction knives so the full back spacer does not appeal to me. I would prefer the lighter weight and aesthetics if the backspacer was more like the G10 Manix. I would also prefer the final version be contoured G10 vs FRN. I just prefer the look and feel of G10 over FRN, unless the FRN had a cool new design, maybe something like the texturing on the new lightweight Chapparal. I love the deep carry wire clip, don't change that.

The D'Allara was one of my most anticipated knives of 2017 but now that it is here, I think there are other Spyderco's I will wait to drop $200 on.

Thanks for listening.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I was quite a fan of this model at the meet but as many have said, it's a different animal. I think there is nothing wrong with the carry friendly g10 version but what made the old D'Allara so good was the thicker contoured scales which we don't see on many models today. Another vote from me for a thick FRN model.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I didn't mention in my other post, but I like the "Look" of this new g-10 model a lot. The redesign of the handle looks much more pocket friendly, and I like the blade shape, and the angle it sits at relative to the handle. I don't know that I'd buy the original, but this new g-10 one is on my must have list.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I didn't mention in my other post, but I like the "Look" of this new g-10 model a lot. The redesign of the handle looks much more pocket friendly, and I like the blade shape, and the angle it sits at relative to the handle. I don't know that I'd buy the original, but this new g-10 one is on my must have list.
I am actually the other way around. I will await the FRN model or buy a LNIB original D'allara.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bearing in mind (no pun intended), I haven't held one yet. But just looking at it what about a slight adjustment here?
spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_dallara3_inhand_2.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_dallara3_inhand_2_handle_edit.jpg
This seems more of an edc than an sd oriented blade so a pronounced choil/gaurd isn't really necessary, I'd vote to shave it down a little so you can get more of the heel of the blade in action on flat surfaces.
*(thanks again to mr. blonde for the pictures, I hope this use is ok)

rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

The first adjustment might be an improvement but the second one has no guard whatsoever. I would not like that. I actually like the current profile as is. A slightly longer blade would be good and the aforementioned adjustment to make the lock easier to manipulate.
ZrowsN1s wrote:Bearing in mind (no pun intended), I haven't held one yet. But just looking at it what about a slight adjustment here?
spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_dallara3_inhand_2.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2017_dallara3_inhand_2_handle_edit.jpg
This seems more of an edc than an sd oriented blade so a pronounced choil/gaurd isn't really necessary, I'd vote to shave it down a little so you can get more of the heel of the blade in action on flat surfaces.
*(thanks again to mr. blonde for the pictures, I hope this use is ok)
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ya I probably went too far on the second one.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I also prefer the rounded handle shape. It won't disappear in the pocket like a Stretch will, but the comfort in extended use makes the bulk worth carrying. I really like the edge extending all the way back to the handle, too.
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

I, for personal reasons, wish it could have a NYC skyline with the WTC/ 911 theme. "Never forget".
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

carl3989 wrote:I, for personal reasons, wish it could have a NYC skyline with the WTC/ 911 theme. "Never forget".
That would be a great addition to this knife.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

"Never Forget" engraved on the blade. I've said it before, Spyderco makes a model called the 'Police', but this is the real Police knife.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Forgot to mention, I prefer a caged BBL, just easier to use.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My feed back is limited as I won't spend the dollars required to get one. I love the shape of the handle and blade. Once the lock access issues are sorted out I think it will be a winner in FRN.
If it were gray g10 and Cruwear ( or the Japanese stainless equivalent!) I'd likely hurt myself scrambling for my wallet. Gray FRN and a steel other than VG10 and it's a must buy.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001