Sal, thank you for Salts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Sal, thank you for Salts

Post by vivi »

Corrosion resistance is a pretty big deal for me. I live where its very warm, and I'm quite active. My sweat has corroded folders from every company. Spydercos, leatherman multitools, swiss army knives, etc.

Today I was having trouble getting the grit out of the opening on my Police 3. Running it under a sink then applying more lube wasn't cutting it. Taking it down I could see why ;)

It made me appreciate that I don't need to break down my salts every year and polish the liners.

I know to some people edge holding is more important, but for me H1 is a bigger deal than all the steels that have come out since VG10. Well, maybe LC200N :D We'll see when the caribbean releases.

Thanks for creating this line, Sal. Its served me well. The Pacific Salt and Aqua Salt in particular. I'm excited to see where the line goes over the next few years with the introduction of new steels, lock types and grinds.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Afterman

Re: Sal, thank you for Salts

Post by Afterman »

I plan on getting a Ladybug Salt soon for my keychain, as my mini multitool is plagued by rust 1 year after getting it. It's definitely my favorite line of knives.

Anyone know why other companies don't use this steel?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

+100 ! I really hope the Salt line diversifies, and receives increasing recognition for being worthy of many applications beyond saltwater use.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

honeybee in LC200N with ti scales for my keychain please
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Afterman wrote:I plan on getting a Ladybug Salt soon for my keychain, as my mini multitool is plagued by rust 1 year after getting it. It's definitely my favorite line of knives.

I'm not sure, but I've asked myself the same question. It may be due to the fact that H1 is very expensive steel.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderNut wrote:
Afterman wrote:I plan on getting a Ladybug Salt soon for my keychain, as my mini multitool is plagued by rust 1 year after getting it. It's definitely my favorite line of knives.

I'm not sure, but I've asked myself the same question. It may be due to the fact that H1 is very expensive steel.
+1000! on the thread. I love my pacific Salt (favorite folder ever) and Aqua Salt (favorite fixed blade ever) and all other my Salts, I really hope the line diversifies.

I like H1 so much that I got further and made my own research, and found Spyderco was one of the 2 companies that used it: The other is G.Sakai (Benchmade used it once in the past too) which has some common traits and history with Spyderco.

I got a G.Sakai Sabi 5 (H1 steel, PE) and have been very happy with it.

Sheath is excellent, grind is awesome and general performance is excellent for my uses. It's not on par with the Spyderco offerings but very close, and worth a look (all their line, really) for those searching for more H1 and other possibilities.

Just my $0.02!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Huge fan here.Pac Salt SE is my favorite.Looking forward for the Fish Hunter.

Marius
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Starting to appreciate this knife more and more....

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

I really like the SE Salts. Just picked this up a few weeks ago.
No longer have this one but I want to get another sometime.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

mine had its share of fresh and salt water use

Image Image

now that i have the spydiechef, i still gravitate towards the pac salt due to its light weight
Last edited by npad69 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I LOVE my Salt 1, as that is my beach knife, and I swim with it,
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zcoffee.jpg
zcoffee2.jpg
It's nice to have a knife you can leave dirty, that cleans up like new with a little soap and hot water.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

water proof, and coffee proof!

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you don't have a coffee knife, you need to up your game right Peacent? :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Vivi, and thanx for all of the kind comments to all.

Back in the 80's, when Gail and I began making knives, we we were sailors and scuba divers. We really felt the need for a corrosion resistant knife, We exerimented with ceramic knives for years, Even ground some on our own with special equipment. We worked with Titan and any other material we could find. In the 90's, we tried to chase down Cronidur, but the company making it and had patented it, said they were supplying military/space only.

In the late 90's, early 2000's H1 was developed. We tested it, found it to be acceptable and began making knives with it. We're still working with and testing new materials like LC200N, as technology permits. Two lessons: 1. "Persistence is king" 2. "Necessity is the Mother of invention".

As has always been our way; We never give up, never back down and never back up (as written on our coins).

sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:Thanx Vivi, and thanx for all of the kind comments to all.

Back in the 80's, when Gail and I began making knives, we we were sailors and scuba divers. We really felt the need for a corrosion resistant knife, We exerimented with ceramic knives for years, Even ground some on our own with special equipment. We worked with Titan and any other material we could find. In the 90's, we tried to chase down Cronidur, but the company making it and had patented it, said they were supplying military/space only.

In the late 90's, early 2000's H1 was developed. We tested it, found it to be acceptable and began making knives with it. We're still working with and testing new materials like LC200N, as technology permits. Two lessons: 1. "Persistence is king" 2. "Necessity is the Mother of invention".

As has always been our way; We never give up, never back down and never back up (as written on our coins).

sal
As a side note, not only did the Salts end my lifetime search for a environment.proof folder and maintenance free, dependable tool, but they also showed me Spyderco and made me learn, discover and explore the company, CQI, philosophy and work behind your work.

It's been an incredible learning experience and wonderful series of ideas, teachings and advice from the great minds -and users- that constitute Spyderco and what it has become. I want to thank you on a personal way for all this, and even more for what I've gotten from you, much more than your knives and designs, which BTW are true pieces of art!

So many exciting things to see yet, I love how you're never afraid to evolve and innovate, you're hard to keep up with! :D
lpc

Post by lpc »

The Atlantic Salt has been a great knife for carrying in my PFD pocket while sea kayaking off the coast of New England. I'm still hoping to see a salt version of the remote release.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Have always loved my Salts....unfortunately I'm down to just 4 now, 5 if you count the Tusk...but the ones I still own have seen so much use over the years.....

That being said, I really want to pick up a Manbug Salt and especially the next generation of Tasman Salt....whenever that may come about!
Kid Shamrock

Post by Kid Shamrock »

I would like to see a Salt version of the Native 5 LW, with serrated H1, yellow scales and wire pocket clip. I think it would be awesome!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi lpc, Kid shamrock,

Welcome to our forum.

sal