S110v vs M390 pm2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Patronus

S110v vs M390 pm2

Post by Patronus »

Hi there, my boyfriends birthday is coming up and I was looking to getting him a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 for his birthday!

I've just about done as much research as I possibly can about knives a girl can and here I need help... LOL He currently has a tenacious from when he graduated high school but he complains how it dulls fast and tarnishes once in a while though he has always told me he wants a 'paramilitary.'

From my research, I understand that both should be corrosion resistant? but some say m390 is better in that regard... Can someone explain that? We live in Florida so it is pretty humid

Also, which one is more durable? as in, which steel is less prone to chipping. Ive read a lot about this in my research but nothing was conclusive. Ideally, I want to get him something that wont tarnish and won't chip!

Thank you guys so much for the help! (also let me know if theres another model I should be looking at, I have no idea how much there is in the world of edc or knives so any input is welcome!!!) :D
Skidoosh

Re: S110v vs M390 pm2

Post by Skidoosh »

I think you would do well with either. The S110V is probably more readily available. I personally would choose M390 but you are not going to choose wrong with either
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

S110v is more corrosion resistant than any regular stainless steel from what I have read. Also a guy on here who is constantly around salt water confirms this. M390 is also very corrosion resistant as well. I don't think your boyfriend should have a problem with either. M390 should be a little less prone to chipping from what I understand though. You really can't go wrong with either. S110v will be a little cheaper though. Hope that helps some.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Wow...what a lucky guy! :D

Here's my advice...go to the nearest gas station and buy a $1.99 knife from the Big Ole Jar of Blades that's always on the counter between the dill pickles and the lighters...when he breaks up with you for getting him a rotten blade, PM me. ;)

But seriously, both steels will be a quantum <for steel enthusiasts> upgrade from the Tenacious, but the difference between the m390 v. s110v not being as noticeable as the step up from the Ten. You've gotten good advice so far...s110v is gonna be easier to find and a better value as the m390 is quite expensive. Also consider the color of the handles if you think it's important to him..."blurple" vs. a more "smurf blue."

Just to be clear, I was joking about deliberately sabotaging your relationship. :)

Actually, I wasn't. :cool:

Joking again... :o

Ok, PM me. :D
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Ha!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome, Patronus!
Both CPM-S110V and M390 will work well for your requirements, although the S110V PM2 will be an easier model to replace if lost or damaged. Kudos to you for doing the research. Your boyfriend is very a fortunate fellow! :)

Btw, have you considered the new PM3? It's a bit smaller than the PM2 and is only available in S30V stainless steel at this time, but perhaps he would be interested in this model?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Paladin, you crack me up. :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Patronus

Post by Patronus »

paladin wrote:Wow...what a lucky guy! :D

Here's my advice...go to the nearest gas station and buy a $1.99 knife from the Big Ole Jar of Blades that's always on the counter between the dill pickles and the lighters...when he breaks up with you for getting him a rotten blade, PM me. ;)

But seriously, both steels will be a quantum <for steel enthusiasts> upgrade from the Tenacious, but the difference between the m390 v. s110v not being as noticeable as the step up from the Ten. You've gotten good advice so far...s110v is gonna be easier to find and a better value as the m390 is quite expensive. Also consider the color of the handles if you think it's important to him..."blurple" vs. a more "smurf blue."

Just to be clear, I was joking about deliberately sabotaging your relationship. :)

LOL!!! I'm dying! worst case scenario, he takes the gas station knife and loves it to death anyways!

SpyderNut wrote:Welcome, Patronus!
Both CPM-S110V and M390 will work well for your requirements, although the S110V PM2 will be an easier model to replace if lost or damaged. Kudos to you for doing the research. Your boyfriend is very a fortunate fellow! :)

Btw, have you considered the new PM3? It's a bit smaller than the PM2 and is only available in S30V stainless steel at this time, but perhaps he would be interested in this model?
I just looked at the PM3 on your recommendation! Do you know where it's in stock? I can't seem to find it right this moment...

Just a question for you guys, how easy is it to 'chip' or break the tip of these knives with these steels? Ive read a lot about s110v also have consistency issues... is that still a thing? and is chipping a real concern? I dont quite understand this idea just yet... especially between two steels

ACTUALLY, which knife would you guys love as gift? I think that would be a more down to earth question to ask. If not s110v or m390, another available..? I just want to get him something that lasts!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Chipping won't happen very easily if the knife is used for its intended purpose (cutting). Removing staples, prying, etc. can chip a blade PDQ.

As for what I would want as a gift? M390 PM2 please! I already have one and would still love to get one as a gift. S110V would be great too though. The blue is just much better looking in my opinion. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Personally I'd recommend checking out either the Para 3 or just a regular Para 2 in S30V, if he's upgrading from a tenacious, it might be to much of a bear to sharpen S110V or M390. Last I looked blade HQ had some.
Josh
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ah, such a hard choice! They're even both blue, my favorite color! I'm gonna say he'd do well with an M390 because it is noticeably easier to sharpen while still offering awesome edge holding and corrosion resistance, but it is only available at one place for a relatively high price so if you want to save a couple bucks, you can give him even more edge retention and corrosion resistance and he'll just have to sharpen a little longer, though less often. I also find it easier to get a super fine edge on M390 (204P actually, but virtually the same thing), though hardly worth considering here.

As for chipping, I've worked both pretty hard and have seen nothing of the sort in my knives. If it has happened, it's been on such a microscopic scale that I can hardly, hardly care less no matter how hard I try. Don't worry about that. Though if he's prying or twisting his tips, he's gonna break them no matter what they're made out of.

So basically you've got one steel which I consider more user friendly for a little more money (M390), or one even more extreme performer for a little less (S110V). I really don't know how you pick between the two. Got a coin handy?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Patronus wrote:
paladin wrote:Wow...what a lucky guy! :D

LOL!!! I'm dying! worst case scenario, he takes the gas station knife and loves it to death anyways!

SpyderNut wrote:Welcome, Patronus!

I just looked at the PM3 on your recommendation! Do you know where it's in stock? I can't seem to find it right this moment...

Just a question for you guys, how easy is it to 'chip' or break the tip of these knives with these steels? Ive read a lot about s110v also have consistency issues... is that still a thing? and is chipping a real concern? I dont quite understand this idea just yet... especially between two steels

ACTUALLY, which knife would you guys love as gift? I think that would be a more down to earth question to ask. If not s110v or m390, another available..? I just want to get him something that lasts!
No problem. In fact, it looks like the PM3 is currently in stock at Blade HQ (http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-P ... y-3--50648), Knife Center (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223G ... 10-handles) and Knife Works ( http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercoparam ... L4vwYWcGmQ). All three are offering this knife at around the same price ($119.97 plus S/H). Its still pretty new, but folks seem to like the PM3.

Regarding your question about chipping or breaking tips, this is fairly easy to do on any knife blade (regardless of steel type). Like SpyderSense mentioned, as long as the knife is used for "normal" cutting applications, there should be minimal risk for chipping or tip breaking for S110V or M390. The PM2 and PM3 were designed for fairly robust use--including use by active duty military and law enforcement. As long as your BF avoids cutting through hard items such as metal staples, concrete, or the like, he should be fine. FWIW, I've found steels like CPM-440V (S60V) and VG-10 to be fairly decent at light prying (although I do not advocate prying with any knife blade). Also, FWIW, my father-in-law uses his little VG-10 bladed Manbug to pry on everything and he has yet to harm the blade. ;)

If it were me, I would be personally very pleased with either the PM2's or the PM3. The Jade G-10 PM2 (in M4 carbon steel) would also be on my list, but the M4 may not be a good option since rust/corrosion resistance is a factor for where you live. To make it easy, I'd lean towards getting him the M390 PM2. This is a cherished knife and steel with many knife afi's and will be a knife that he will use and enjoy for many, many years to come. :)

-Michael

425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

The M390 version of the Paramilitary 2 is going to be a bento box exclusive, from this place: http://www.bentoboxshop.com/

It's $189.95 from that site, as Paladin said it only comes with a smurf blue G10 handle. The S110V version only comes in a blue/purple or what we call "blurple", it's going to be around $150 from most sites ($152 on both bladehq.com and knifecenter.com, bladeops.com has it for $149 - all of these 3 sites offer free shipping for that knife).

On the two knife steels, imo you really cant go wrong with either. Both are excellent knives and will be VASTLY better than the steel on the Tenacious (although I think the Tenacious is still a pretty good all around knife for the price). Both have good edge retention and corrosion resistance. If I really had to choose between the two, I would probably lean towards the M390 version slightly (like blue better than blurple and it's a little more "rare" of a knife). Good luck in your search!
:spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree that you should let color be your guide. I personally prefer the smurf blue Bento exclusive, and it's been my work carry for 5 years now.
Patronus

Post by Patronus »

Bill1170 wrote:I agree that you should let color be your guide. I personally prefer the smurf blue Bento exclusive, and it's been my work carry for 5 years now.
Oh wow, 5 years!? do you have anything you dont like about it? and whats the most abusive thing youve done to your knife would you say?

and thank you guys all for the input!!! I really do appreciate it, especially on something like this. Thank you all for taking your time to help a girl out :D
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

S110V for sure. I must agree , that both are very, very good steels. Especially when he will upgrad from Tenacious;) But S110V is probably THE best stainless steel currently on the market. Best edge holding ( check Ankerson tests ) and very, very good corrosion resistance ( according to Surfingringo). And is still cheaper than BBS M390. For $150 it's a bargain :)
Or you can check Manix 2 G10 in S110V is even less expensive around 138, and have better ergonomics, more hand filling and for me at least better lock.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

PayneTrain wrote: So basically you've got one steel which I consider more user friendly for a little more money (M390), or one even more extreme performer for a little less (S110V). I really don't know how you pick between the two. Got a coin handy?
This sums it up. Both are premium steels and will be very noticeably better at edge holding than what he has now. If your boyfriend is good at sharpening, go for the S110V. If sharpening is a challenge for him, go with M390. S110V will cut longer and is more corrosion resistant, but M390 is better than most steels at both these categories as well.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

+1 for choosing based on the scale color.

My M390 PM2 is probably my favorite knife. Those smurf blue scales are amazing. I'm really not a fan of the blurple.

I've never sharpened S110v, but I find M390 to take and hold an excellent edge.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Don't worry about which knife is harder to sharpen. Spyderco offers free sharpening on their knives. I think it's $5.00 for return shipping.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I haven't tried M390 yet -- although I want to. Either S110V or M390 really would be a ginormous upgrade from the Tenacious.

Actually, the normal S30V would be an upgrade. The move to the PM2 ergos -- the in-hand feel -- will be a surprising sort of upgrade all by itself. I got an S30V PM2 for my son when he earned his Eagle Scout award. He had a lawn mowing/yard business -- so I wanted to get him a good working knife -- and he would regularly show it to his friends just to see the look of surprise in their eyes when they experienced that unexpected level of comfort in the grip. Picture Paula Dean saying: "Mmm... Buttah!"

I've been EDC'ing the S110V for months, and it's great. If your boyfriend isn't likely to hate the color -- I like it, some don't -- I'd probably just go that far. But even the S30V PM2 would be a significant upgrade. I'm not a huge man, and don't have large mitts. I like the feel of the PM2. My son is a lanky 6' whose hands aren't beefy, but they are long-ish. If your boyfriend is tall, or fairly brawny, I would stick with the PM2 just in case the PM3 felt a little small.

Just my $0.02, and you really can't go wrong. You'll rake in the girlfriend points on this one, guaranteed. Good luck!