Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby DougC-3 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Evil D wrote:I figured adding to the factory G10 would be easier than making new scales from scratch. I guess epoxy alone is enough hold them together? I'm not sure about the factory peel ply texture, there's gonna be a bevel from the factory scale between the two layers, that might look crappy. I guess I'll have to look into it. I also have an idea about reshaping the handle like a Yojimbo 2 handle.
Ha, if you do it first, we can profit from anything that goes wrong :) The bevel looks pretty minimal on Wouter's sample, so maybe it would fill in OK between the layers, or maybe you could just continue the bevel onto the new slab. I'm sure you've already thought of all this. I guess theoretically, you could just cover up all the screws except the pivot, and if you needed to get to them, you could drill out over them at the time -- a little tricky but possible, I think, or rip off the add on. I'm thinking about at some time maybe getting a Dremel router attachment or a small linoleum cutter and using a roundover bit to contour G-10 scales.
:spyder: :cool:

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22073
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Evil D » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:30 pm

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I figured adding to the factory G10 would be easier than making new scales from scratch. I guess epoxy alone is enough hold them together? I'm not sure about the factory peel ply texture, there's gonna be a bevel from the factory scale between the two layers, that might look crappy. I guess I'll have to look into it. I also have an idea about reshaping the handle like a Yojimbo 2 handle.
Ha, if you do it first, we can profit from anything that goes wrong :) The bevel looks pretty minimal on Wouter's sample, so maybe it would fill in OK between the layers, or maybe you could just continue the bevel onto the new slab. I'm sure you've already thought of all this. I guess theoretically, you could just cover up all the screws except the pivot, and if you needed to get to them, you could drill out over them at the time -- a little tricky but possible, I think, or rip off the add on. I'm thinking about at some time maybe getting a Dremel router attachment or a small linoleum cutter and using a roundover bit to contour G-10 scales.
That's true, I don't plan on adding much to each side so the additions will probably contour out immediately from the factory scales so they could very well just follow the factory scale bevels. The more I think about it the more I wanna do it. I need to get one and see what I can do.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Scottie3000
Member
Posts: 1013
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Goldsboro, NC

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Scottie3000 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:43 am

Forgive me if I missed it, but are these made with the same process (EDM?) and/or of the same quality as the Native 5 as far as lock fit and function? Spyderco has always made a good back lock, but the Native 5 is the benchmark in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I assume another Golden made backlock would be on par.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9829
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby bearfacedkiller » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:09 am

I too hope that they are manufacturing this lock with the same tight tolerances as the Native5. I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Larry_Mott » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 am

Scottie3000 wrote:Forgive me if I missed it, but are these made with the same process (EDM?) and/or of the same quality as the Native 5 as far as lock fit and function? Spyderco has always made a good back lock, but the Native 5 is the benchmark in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I assume another Golden made backlock would be on par.
Judging by the brief encounter i had with it in Amsterdam it felt well on par with the Native IMO.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

User avatar
Popsickle
Member
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Popsickle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 pm

These are in stock at at least 2 dealers I can see.

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9462
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Doc Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 pm

In stock at knifeworks.com
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

rodloos
Member
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby rodloos » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 am

Mine shipped yesterday from KnifeCenter, should be delivered by Friday.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22073
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Evil D » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Someone take theirs apart and send me pics :D
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13640
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby sal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:54 pm

bearfacedkiller wrote:I too hope that they are manufacturing this lock with the same tight tolerances as the Native5. I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.
Hey Killer,

Yes, it's the same. Now that we've got it down, and it works well, no sense in changing. Haven't found any glitches in this method".

sal

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9829
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Outstanding!!!

I own 4 Native5s and they all lockup bank vault tight. No matter how hard I try I cannot get the Native5 lock to budge or wiggle at all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Scottie3000
Member
Posts: 1013
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Goldsboro, NC

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Scottie3000 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:43 pm

That sealed it for me. Inbound!
sal wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I too hope that they are manufacturing this lock with the same tight tolerances as the Native5. I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.
Hey Killer,

Yes, it's the same. Now that we've got it down, and it works well, no sense in changing. Haven't found any glitches in this method".

sal

User avatar
GoldenSpydie
Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:56 am
Location: CO and WY

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby GoldenSpydie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Sounds great! My original backlock Manixes (C95 and Mini) are very solid, and I'm sure this new model will continue the tradition.

User avatar
dreadpirate
Member
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby dreadpirate » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:49 pm

And what is it we are trying to fix with the current Manix 2??

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13640
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby sal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi Pirate,

We're not trying to fix anything.....it's not broken. Some of our customers have asked for the Manix pattern in a back-lock, so we're responding to their requests. You don't think that you are going to like or agree with everything we do, do you? We serve a large market with a variety of tastes and preferences.

sal

Robbob
Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:22 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Robbob » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:48 pm

dreadpirate wrote:And what is it we are trying to fix with the current Manix 2??
Sal can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the backlock is going to replace the CBBL model. The backlock is just another offering for those who do not prefer the CBBL (strange as that is). Besides, the original Manix was a backlock.

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9462
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Doc Dan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm

sal wrote:Hi Pirate,

We're not trying to fix anything.....it's not broken. Some of our customers have asked for the Manix pattern in a back-lock, so we're responding to their requests. You don't think that you are going to like or agree with everything we do, do you? We serve a large market with a variety of tastes and preferences.

sal
And this is why I am a Spyderco fanatic. Sal listens to us.

I am always amazed every year how many customer suggestions actually make it into production. What other company does that? None that I know of.

This Manix 2 back lock is going to be epic. It appears to be rugged and strong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Popsickle
Member
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Popsickle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Doc Dan wrote:
sal wrote:Hi Pirate,

We're not trying to fix anything.....it's not broken. Some of our customers have asked for the Manix pattern in a back-lock, so we're responding to their requests. You don't think that you are going to like or agree with everything we do, do you? We serve a large market with a variety of tastes and preferences.

sal
And this is why I am a Spyderco fanatic. Sal listens to us.

I am always amazed every year how many customer suggestions actually make it into production. What other company does that? None that I know of.

This Manix 2 back lock is going to be epic. It appears to be rugged and strong.

Absolutely can not wait! Saturday for me!!!

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby DougC-3 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 pm

I think the CBBL M2 will still be my favorite, but I know I'll love the linerless Back Lock. I just like to try all the interesting kinds I can. Each one has it's own good points and you never know until you try one out. Who knows? -- we may get a linerless G-10 CBBL or BBL Manix at some point.
:spyder: :cool:

User avatar
Popsickle
Member
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Postby Popsickle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 pm

I just got mine and I absolutely love it. In my humble opinion it's better than the CBBL manix in every way :)

It warrants an IMMEDIATE cruwear sprint run.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dazen, DTPrime, Fireman, Igi964, James Y, JohnDoe99, JRinFL, JuPaul, Ratamaque, rcwill98, ThrottleCable, TkoK83Spy, tonijedi, TooSharp and 44 guests