Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
camvdcs

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by camvdcs »

Found my original Manix so I decided to take a few pics to compare with the new Manix 2 lockback.
Attachments
IMG_7645.JPG
IMG_7644.JPG
IMG_7643.JPG
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

While I'm not sure I buy The Deacon's claim that the Manix2 is a weak sister to the original, there's no question the original is a bit wider and longer.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Is it me, or does the new version look stouter than the original in those pictures?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just ordered one, thanks for the input! I've actually started gravitating "back" to back locks myself lately.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The Manix 2 backlock made it back to Amsterdam! After a quick look at the Spydiemeet, today I finally got my own.
First time to compare it to a LW, do have a preference for the slightly slimmer handle and defintely for the lighter handle but that was to be expected, I think this knife in a LW version would be a dream for me.
Great fit & finish, shaving sharp. The lock is perfect, it's like Golden is now making the quality of backlocks that Seki was making in the 90's!
Did heat the clip to darken it, don't like those flashy shiny clips and now to put it to plenty of use. :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice. Have any pictures?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Yes but still haven't figured out how to post them here..
Did put them up on the 'Spyderco Official' Facebook page.
(bunch of comparison shots with similar sized knives)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If you use photobucket, or similar, you can click on the links beside the picture. #4 will post the picture, the others will provide a link. (Hint, turn off any access to other photos before posting)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got mine today, seems pretty sweet.

I think the highlight is the clip mounting to the very end of the handle and... the fine (almost smooth, slightly rougher than paper) G-10. The action really feels like my old C95.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

What do you want to see in pictures?

I'm kind of tired and I'm going to be busy tomorrow, but maybe tomorrow night I won't be too tired to take any pictures you want.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Apparently I am in the minority, but I don't care for the backlock version. I do have the LW Manix 2 and the Cruwear Manix 2 with G10 handles, both are awesome.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It's apparent that backlocks still have a market and the proprietary BBL that's only available in a handful of Spydercos won't be outselling it any decade soon.

Spydercos make A LOT of backlocks for a reason.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:If you use photobucket, or similar, you can click on the links beside the picture. #4 will post the picture, the others will provide a link. (Hint, turn off any access to other photos before posting)
Thanks, I'll try again later when I've got the time.
(tried awhile ago but somehow didn't get it to work, could also be issues with my computer..)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

FCM415 wrote:It's apparent that backlocks still have a market and the proprietary BBL that's only available in a handful of Spydercos won't be outselling it any decade soon.

I'm going back to backlocks more and more, always liked them but lately really starting to prefer them.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Joris Mo wrote:
FCM415 wrote:It's apparent that backlocks still have a market and the proprietary BBL that's only available in a handful of Spydercos won't be outselling it any decade soon.

I'm going back to backlocks more and more, always liked them but lately really starting to prefer them.
Outside of Spydercos, I don't really do backlocks. A lot Spyderco's backlocks are designed with easy one hand operation in mind. These aren't the Buck 110's, Mokis, and Triad lock Backlocks (all great but cumbersome). Maybe some are turned off by the old timey nature of non Spyderco backlocks and don't give them a chance because of it. But I digress...It's Spyderco's fault that I like backlocks :spyder:

I also like many other locks such as Liner, Compression, and Axis. I don't like the BBL specifically on the Manix (owned plenty, all as stiff and awkward as a Buck 110) but I don't trash it on the forums for no reason :rolleyes: ;)
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I don't have a problem with backlocks, (indeed, I have a bunch), the backlock is a different direction for the Manix 2 that does not do anything for me. Now if you long for the days of the original Manix, and the backlock version scratches that itch, ok - I get that. I am a relative newcomer to Spyderco and I don't see the Manix 2 in that light.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I want one but I'd be even more excited about a colored G-10 and a different steel. So I'll wait for the (inevitable?) sprint.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Since this is a Golden model I would expect it to be available in S110V and blue scales.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:What do you want to see in pictures?

Take it apart! I wanna see the internals.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I really liked the BBL Manix 2 (LW) but did want a slightly thicker blade and I do prefer a backlock so I'm well served!
Now I'm just gonna hope that there will be a LW version of this one.. ;)