Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by SG89 »

A Manix2 LW Backlock would be so awesome imo
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah. I am going to cancel one of my pre-orders to buy this knife. I have been hoping for this for a long time.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Spydergirl88 wrote:A Manix2 LW Backlock would be so awesome imo
I would Imagine that is in the works, but I'm wondering if it's dependent on how this model sells first
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Popsickle wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:A Manix2 LW Backlock would be so awesome imo
I would Imagine that is in the works, but I'm wondering if it's dependent on how this model sells first
Must be on peoples minds in Golden but I would guess they're checking to see how this sells first.
It's also always good to get the feedback on a G10 model first before you invest in making a mold for a lw.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It already has no liners and g10 does not weigh much more than frn. How much lighter can it get? I'll stick with the linerless G10 version myself. Don't get me wrong, I like my two ManixLWs but they actually offer a significant weight savings over the standard versions plus they lack the superfluous jimping. This G10 backlock version seems to already have both of those issues covered. Just my take on it. ;)

Where is the G10 linerless Native5? Seriously, where?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

It's true that it already is a very lightweight knife with the linerless G10. I do think that some extra weight advantage could be had from using FRN or FRCP and I like the advantage of having a more affordable version of the same blade, tends to make for a perfect user.
I just really like the FRN users and the FRCP isn't all that bad either so I like the idea of a LW version but we'll see if it's gonna happen.
(I also like the fact that they seem to lend themselves easily to different versions/ colors and a cheaper version could get pretty close to a "folding Mule")
:D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Joris Mo wrote:It's true that it already is a very lightweight knife with the linerless G10. I do think that some extra weight advantage could be had from using FRN or FRCP and I like the advantage of having a more affordable version of the same blade, tends to make for a perfect user.
I just really like the FRN users and the FRCP isn't all that bad either so I like the idea of a LW version but we'll see if it's gonna happen.
(I also like the fact that they seem to lend themselves easily to different versions/ colors and a cheaper version could get pretty close to a "folding Mule")
:D
Everything he said!
Spydergirl88
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure FRN would be any cheaper? FRN molds are pretty expensive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

So since the m2 backlock is linerless and has a backlock will that have an effect on price... Do we think it will be more expensive or less expensive than the current g10 m2 cbbl?
Spydergirl88
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

I don't know why, but I am totally in for it. Gonna switch my Para 3 for it.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Spydergirl88 wrote:So since the m2 backlock is linerless and has a backlock will that have an effect on price... Do we think it will be more expensive or less expensive than the current g10 m2 cbbl?

Curious to see where the price lands. My thought would be LESS. In a perfect world.....

I'm guessing dead on same price
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Yeah, probably the same price.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

StarLord wrote:Yeah, probably the same price.
I hope so! The lil temp 3 dropped and I saw the price and backed off. Granted that was a Japanese release. Being made in the US with comparable or even less material should at the very least keep the price the same
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

I like very much.
As much as to get a
I hope it does not come with red loctite.
If you come with him, I'm not interested
I will be careful.
A greeting
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This model opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities! I like ball locks for easier (for me) one hand closing, but backlocks have less chance of being jarred open and allow for thicker contoured handle mods. I can't wait to see it in sprints and will vote with my wallet when it gets some ballots in it.

I was a little disappointed that it's not lighter than the M2 sprints, but it's only about 2 tenths of an ounce heavier and I think I could almost get rid of that by chamfering the edges!

As for FRN/FRCP I generally like G-10 better, but I love the contoured handle on the latest D'Allara FRN drop point! If only we could get a more contoured FRN or FRCP handle on a lightweight Manix.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:I'm hoping these scales are super simple to make. If so I plan on having some made that are 2x as thick so I can contour the handles down really nice. It's gonna rock.
Do you have plans yet for what material you're going to use, whether or how much you'll recess the pivot screws, etc?
Evil D wrote:I'm not sure FRN would be any cheaper? FRN molds are pretty expensive.
I think this one would be so popular the molds would pay for themselves quick, especially if it's a new style contoured handle hint, hint :p
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

misfire
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'm hoping these scales are super simple to make. If so I plan on having some made that are 2x as thick so I can contour the handles down really nice. It's gonna rock.
Do you have plans yet for what material you're going to use, whether or how much you'll recess the pivot screws, etc?
I may just make my own G10 scales and epoxy them to the factory scales and then blend them together. That would keep me from having to deal with drilling the holes properly and such, I'd just need to drill access holes through the outer layers so I can get to the screws later.
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
I may just make my own G10 scales and epoxy them to the factory scales and then blend them together. That would keep me from having to deal with drilling the holes properly and such, I'd just need to drill access holes through the outer layers so I can get to the screws later.
I'd like to follow that if and when you post any of it. I've got a little dark green and some foliage green G-10, but those might look a little tacky on black.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
I'd like to follow that if and when you post any of it. I've got a little dark green and some foliage green G-10, but those might look a little tacky on black.

I figured adding to the factory G10 would be easier than making new scales from scratch. I guess epoxy alone is enough hold them together? I'm not sure about the factory peel ply texture, there's gonna be a bevel from the factory scale between the two layers, that might look crappy. I guess I'll have to look into it. I also have an idea about reshaping the handle like a Yojimbo 2 handle.
~David