Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:I figured adding to the factory G10 would be easier than making new scales from scratch. I guess epoxy alone is enough hold them together? I'm not sure about the factory peel ply texture, there's gonna be a bevel from the factory scale between the two layers, that might look crappy. I guess I'll have to look into it. I also have an idea about reshaping the handle like a Yojimbo 2 handle.
Ha, if you do it first, we can profit from anything that goes wrong :) The bevel looks pretty minimal on Wouter's sample, so maybe it would fill in OK between the layers, or maybe you could just continue the bevel onto the new slab. I'm sure you've already thought of all this. I guess theoretically, you could just cover up all the screws except the pivot, and if you needed to get to them, you could drill out over them at the time -- a little tricky but possible, I think, or rip off the add on. I'm thinking about at some time maybe getting a Dremel router attachment or a small linoleum cutter and using a roundover bit to contour G-10 scales.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I figured adding to the factory G10 would be easier than making new scales from scratch. I guess epoxy alone is enough hold them together? I'm not sure about the factory peel ply texture, there's gonna be a bevel from the factory scale between the two layers, that might look crappy. I guess I'll have to look into it. I also have an idea about reshaping the handle like a Yojimbo 2 handle.
Ha, if you do it first, we can profit from anything that goes wrong :) The bevel looks pretty minimal on Wouter's sample, so maybe it would fill in OK between the layers, or maybe you could just continue the bevel onto the new slab. I'm sure you've already thought of all this. I guess theoretically, you could just cover up all the screws except the pivot, and if you needed to get to them, you could drill out over them at the time -- a little tricky but possible, I think, or rip off the add on. I'm thinking about at some time maybe getting a Dremel router attachment or a small linoleum cutter and using a roundover bit to contour G-10 scales.
That's true, I don't plan on adding much to each side so the additions will probably contour out immediately from the factory scales so they could very well just follow the factory scale bevels. The more I think about it the more I wanna do it. I need to get one and see what I can do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Forgive me if I missed it, but are these made with the same process (EDM?) and/or of the same quality as the Native 5 as far as lock fit and function? Spyderco has always made a good back lock, but the Native 5 is the benchmark in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I assume another Golden made backlock would be on par.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I too hope that they are manufacturing this lock with the same tight tolerances as the Native5. I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Scottie3000 wrote:Forgive me if I missed it, but are these made with the same process (EDM?) and/or of the same quality as the Native 5 as far as lock fit and function? Spyderco has always made a good back lock, but the Native 5 is the benchmark in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I assume another Golden made backlock would be on par.
Judging by the brief encounter i had with it in Amsterdam it felt well on par with the Native IMO.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

These are in stock at at least 2 dealers I can see.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

In stock at knifeworks.com
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Mine shipped yesterday from KnifeCenter, should be delivered by Friday.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Someone take theirs apart and send me pics :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I too hope that they are manufacturing this lock with the same tight tolerances as the Native5. I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.
Hey Killer,

Yes, it's the same. Now that we've got it down, and it works well, no sense in changing. Haven't found any glitches in this method".

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Outstanding!!!

I own 4 Native5s and they all lockup bank vault tight. No matter how hard I try I cannot get the Native5 lock to budge or wiggle at all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

That sealed it for me. Inbound!
sal wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I too hope that they are manufacturing this lock with the same tight tolerances as the Native5. I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.
Hey Killer,

Yes, it's the same. Now that we've got it down, and it works well, no sense in changing. Haven't found any glitches in this method".

sal
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Sounds great! My original backlock Manixes (C95 and Mini) are very solid, and I'm sure this new model will continue the tradition.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

And what is it we are trying to fix with the current Manix 2??
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pirate,

We're not trying to fix anything.....it's not broken. Some of our customers have asked for the Manix pattern in a back-lock, so we're responding to their requests. You don't think that you are going to like or agree with everything we do, do you? We serve a large market with a variety of tastes and preferences.

sal
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

dreadpirate wrote:And what is it we are trying to fix with the current Manix 2??
Sal can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the backlock is going to replace the CBBL model. The backlock is just another offering for those who do not prefer the CBBL (strange as that is). Besides, the original Manix was a backlock.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:Hi Pirate,

We're not trying to fix anything.....it's not broken. Some of our customers have asked for the Manix pattern in a back-lock, so we're responding to their requests. You don't think that you are going to like or agree with everything we do, do you? We serve a large market with a variety of tastes and preferences.

sal
And this is why I am a Spyderco fanatic. Sal listens to us.

I am always amazed every year how many customer suggestions actually make it into production. What other company does that? None that I know of.

This Manix 2 back lock is going to be epic. It appears to be rugged and strong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Doc Dan wrote:
sal wrote:Hi Pirate,

sal
And this is why I am a Spyderco fanatic. Sal listens to us.

I am always amazed every year how many customer suggestions actually make it into production. What other company does that? None that I know of.

This Manix 2 back lock is going to be epic. It appears to be rugged and strong.

Absolutely can not wait! Saturday for me!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think the CBBL M2 will still be my favorite, but I know I'll love the linerless Back Lock. I just like to try all the interesting kinds I can. Each one has it's own good points and you never know until you try one out. Who knows? -- we may get a linerless G-10 CBBL or BBL Manix at some point.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I just got mine and I absolutely love it. In my humble opinion it's better than the CBBL manix in every way :)

It warrants an IMMEDIATE cruwear sprint run.