Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by Evil D »

johnson wrote:Got mine yesterday. The sound of the lock engaging is next level awsome and I think I made a stationary double back flip the first time I opened it :D
Are those custom scales or just a weird pic effect making it look like the scales are fluted?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, where did that texture come from? That is not like mine at all.

I got a good laugh at your (Johnson) reaction to the lock up. It is really hard to believe until you experience it first hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
johnson

Post by johnson »

Hi Evil and Doc. It was just some weird effect that appeared in a couple of the pics. Me and these smart phones don't always understand each other ?
Attachments
Manix-new.JPG
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

This was the first knife in a long while I tried without looking for an upgraded steel. I love th back lock Manix 2 and hope for an XL version one day
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

johnson wrote:Hi Evil and Doc. It was just some weird effect that appeared in a couple of the pics. Me and these smart phones don't always understand each other ?
Cameras often pick up patterns in things that your eyes don't catch especially in the right light. I've seen similar patterns in my own pics. Yours looked awfully convincing though.
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Had me fooled.

I think that the Manix 2 BL is the best Spyderco made right now, based upon the one I received.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I owned one briefly. It's an impressive piece but the handle thickness combined with the sharp corners was uncomfortable for me. In my experience you can get away with a boxy handle if it's thin. If it's thick like on this knife, you need to radius the corners. I have medium hands.
Sadly my CS Recon 1 with a similar build is much more comfortable.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm still on the fence, or at least anticipating a steel sprint. If it ever comes with a nice carbon steel I'll be on board. I plan on contouring the handle so the blocky grip won't be an issue.
~David
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Doc Dan wrote:Had me fooled.

I think that the Manix 2 BL is the best Spyderco made right now, based upon the one I received.
Agreed. I carry mine literally every day
Nate

Post by Nate »

The high praise for the backlock Manix is wearing at my resistance, but I'm trying to hold out like Evil D. Nothing against black g10 and/or s30v, except that I already have a lot of both...
:spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I smoothed out the corners on mine, like I wish it came from the factory, and it feels great. I still wish they were rounder. Would feel a lot better. Hint hint.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz, if you can, post some pictures of your mod. I do not feel mine needs anything, but I am always open to new ideas.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
johnson

Post by johnson »

Doc Dan wrote:Had me fooled.

I Agree with you on that Doc. My previous two Spydies were not that great out of the box. Para 3 was not very sharp and Native 5 had very uneven and off center edges. Everything on this Manix is spot on and it came scary sharp ! Fit and finish wise this is definately the best Spyderco I have ever bought. (Closely followed by PM2 S110V)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Great design super quality blade but I would really go for some thinner handle scales on this one.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Joris Mo wrote:Great design super quality blade but I would really go for some thinner handle scales on this one.
Not thinner, just more rounded. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:Jazz, if you can, post some pictures of your mod. I do not feel mine needs anything, but I am always open to new ideas.
I will. Once you round some off and feel the difference, you'll agree. When I do heavy cutting in wood, that square handle is not very friendly at all. I'd round it off more, but the screws are too close to the edge for that.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

For a heavy duty knife a thicker handle is better when using it hard.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The brown LW with XHP is back in stock at KC.
Josh
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Jazz wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Great design super quality blade but I would really go for some thinner handle scales on this one.
Not thinner, just more rounded. ;)
That will probably work best for most, I personally have a thing for slim handles so the extra bladestock in the Manix 2 bl is already plenty extra thickness in hand and for me slimmer handles would work best because that means the blade will end up in my pocket and get used.. ;)
Also hoping to be able to get some old Salts before they're all replaced by gen. 2 with thicker handles.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here are the mod pics. I may play with the part leading to the opening hole to make it look better. I don't know.

- best wishes, Jazz.