the one that started it all (for me)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

the one that started it all (for me)

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I go my first Spyderco in high school with at ATS steeled Delica. Molded clip in all its greatness! It's unbelievable that I never lost it. I'm pretty stock with all my Spydies but I've been eyeing the Delica 4 in ZDP but to replace the scale with carbon fiber ones. It would decrease weight and have a smooth transition to the pants without FRN or G10. Anyone tried aftermarket scales for the Delica specifically?
ZrowsN1s

Re: the one that started it all (for me)

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Good first spyderco. DragonFly for me. Haven't tried any AM scales myself for the delica, but I've seen some nice looking ones.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Tac-72

Post by Tac-72 »

Mine was the Police after seeing Denzel use one in the film Training Day.
jdw

Post by jdw »

SE dragonfly. It was love at first sight.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have some aftermarket scales from Cuscadi on my ZDP delica, and they're a perfect fit.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Original Native SE Lightweight for me. Still have it and still use it.

CF is awesome, lots of people make scales with it so it shouldn't be hard to find. Unfortunately they don't really drop much weight, G10 is already crazy light weight.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The manix 2, I was sick of replacing crap knives with more crap knives and decided to shell out about 80 bucks for a brand new manix 2, and it's been down hill from there!
Josh
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:Anyone tried aftermarket scales for the Delica specifically?
CF scales by Suingab at G10.lt, Superblue Delica.

And The One That Started It All, now with canvas micarta Cuscadi scales.
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

H1 Ladybug.

I was really impressed with the steel/performance, the locking mechanism for such a small knife, its ergonomics etc. Prior to Spyderco, the best non-kitchen knife I had was a Leatherman in 154cm. I absolutely LOVED that leatherman (previous knives we cheap $20 options or swiss army pocket knives), and wouldn't lend it to anyone to use, until I tried Spyderco. I still like Leatherman products and they are my go-to brand for a multi-tool, but for knives, the Spyderco was just SO much nicer to use and hold. The Leatherman now is my loan knife when camping etc, nobody touches my Spydies.

Within a few weeks I had ordered a PM2 S110v and a H1 Rock Salt. Within a couple of months after that I also bought a Mule and Vallotton Sub-Hilt.

Now Im wanting a PM3 in an interesting steel and/or scale combo.

It's funny... when I first visited this site and saw people with huge collections, I thought to myself "wow, nuts, some of these people must have more $ than sense". Now I'm just jealous, and expecting in about 10 years that new visitors to the site will think the same of me lol.

Andrew
In order of acquisition: Ladybug in H1 : Paramilitary in S110v : Rock Salt in H1 : Vallotton Sub Hilt CPM S30V : Mule Team 23 (CPM20CV) : Next on the wishlist - Dragonfly ZDP189

Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I do not post often but love checking the forum every few days to read new posts and comments. It really is a great forum and I learn so much :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

AndrewM wrote:
It's funny... when I first visited this site and saw people with huge collections, I thought to myself "wow, nuts, some of these people must have more $ than sense". Now I'm just jealous, and expecting in about 10 years that new visitors to the site will think the same of me lol.

Andrew

I'm certain there are guys here who have more money into their Spyderco collection than I do my 32 year old Mustang, but if that's what they like then who am I to judge. There are far worse things to blow money on. Some of those collections are also worth a lot more than my car when those rare and hard to find vintage knives go up for auction.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

Paramilitary 2
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The most iconic Spyderco : old school SS SE Police :cool: :spyder:

Marius
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

The original carbon fiber C07 Police, found in a local Auckland gunshop late 1990s
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

OK that's just some weird coincidence... I'm carrying my first Spyderco today.

Dragonfly 2, ZDP-189, British Racing Green. I carried this little knife for a full year before I got a Chaparral, and it's still a fantastic knife to carry. This has to be one of the best values in production knives when it comes to performance for the money, and performance for the size/weight.

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Mine was the Spyderco Police. I was working armed security at the time, in South Dakota, and my uniform shop had oneI thought about it, and thought it would make a good addition to my gear. I used it once to get a broken key out of a lock, whilst on duty. It was quite handy!
jonnieb

Post by jonnieb »

I bought a Native 5 LW in 110V last July. Never could see the appeal before that, for some reason.

I now have about 10 Spydies, and that's after giving three away to my sons at Christmas :)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Ladybug Hawkbill Salt for me back in 2011. I was looking for a couple days on YT to find my first Spyderco. I thought it will be my one and only. Such a fool I was:)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

SS Endura was the one that bit me and started all of it for me :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I bought a Viele as my first Spyderco. It was a great knife but was not for me. So, I traded it away. I was carrying a Mini Griptilian but it did not fit my hand. It was too small, though a good knife. I bought a Delica and it was love at first hold. Then, I needed something to replace my Leek. I got tired of it opening on me. I searched and found, and fell in love with, a Spyderco Caly3. I really do not need more knives than these two, which I love. But, I have the addiction like many here, and have a box full of Spydercos now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050