Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi
Member
Posts: 7299
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby vivi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:38 am

Bradley wrote:
Vivi wrote:hawkbill ladybug.

Love h1, love hawkbills, and it would pair well with the large folders I carry.

But I never use the blade on my pocket multitools, which leads me to believe the LB woyld suffer a similar fate and live in my knife drawer.

I use my ladybug hawk allllll the time. Probably more than any other knife in total, because the others get rotated and the ladybug is always there, ready to work.
They look really useful for popping open packages, slicing tape on boxes etc. It's just that when I have a folder clipped to my pocket I can usually have it out and be done cutting whatever needs cut before I fish one out from inside my pocket and orient it the right way to open it etc.

I ran into the same problem with my Swiss Army Knives and Spin. I love that little knife, the FFG wharncliffe blade is ideal for a two finger knife IMO. Gets wicked sharp and is great for opening mail, small packages etc. But I lost the clip and never got around to ordering another.

I've pretty much settled on carrying my modified Tasman Salt as my small knife. It's small and light enough that I don't notice it, and just as convenient as my big knives to deploy and use.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Manix C95 foliage green | Aqua Salt

palonej
Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby palonej » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:00 am

I just cannot, no matter how I justify it, pull the trigger on the Lum tanto on Bento Box.
It is the model I drool over, more than any other, but just can't see the $400 price tag.
I torture myself every day by opening that site and just staring at the knife.....still can't do it.
Joe

mrtodd777
Member
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:42 am
Location: Texas, USA

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby mrtodd777 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:14 am

Slysz Bowie. I want one so freaking bad..

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby abbazaba » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:44 am

Bradley Bowie. I want one bad, but it's expensive and my Fallkniven F1 already regulated all my other fixed blades to a drawer. When the Junction dropped it clouded my desire and I tried to stop thinking about either.

jaxonunit
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby jaxonunit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:58 am

I have a strong urge to get a Civilian, but only because it's weird looking. No need for combat stuff; I always carry a revolver, but then again, I didn't really "NEED" half of the knives in my collection. I've been stewing on getting a Civilian for about two years now.
Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22104
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby Evil D » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:31 pm

jaxonunit wrote:I have a strong urge to get a Civilian, but only because it's weird looking. No need for combat stuff; I always carry a revolver, but then again, I didn't really "NEED" half of the knives in my collection. I've been stewing on getting a Civilian for about two years now.
It's a very formidable knife. It's one of the few knives I've ever held that kind of made me feel uneasy for lack of a better word. It definitely sends a clear message of intent.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby MacLaren » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Tighe Stick

El Gato
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:26 am
Location: SE Arizona USA Earth

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby El Gato » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Manix 2 XL with stainless steel liners, Forest Green G-10, and K390 blade.
I can't pull the trigger on it because it isn't in the sights yet.
Another day with an empty game bag ...... :mad:

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9508
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby Doc Dan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:12 pm

El Gato wrote:Manix 2 XL with stainless steel liners, Forest Green G-10, and K390 blade.
I can't pull the trigger on it because it isn't in the sights yet.
Another day with an empty game bag ...... :mad:
:D I hear you on this one but it needs to be a back lock Manix XL.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5372
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby The Mastiff » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:15 am

The one I can't pull the trigger on would be no longer sold by Spyderco. I want a nice Moki lockback and have since back then. Now I'd likely get the Kronos but close enough.

I just keep talking myself out of it and have for 10-15 years. Maybe more?

Joe

El Gato
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:26 am
Location: SE Arizona USA Earth

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby El Gato » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:51 am

Doc Dan wrote:
El Gato wrote:Manix 2 XL with stainless steel liners, Forest Green G-10, and K390 blade.
I can't pull the trigger on it because it isn't in the sights yet.
Another day with an empty game bag ...... :mad:
:D I hear you on this one but it needs to be a back lock Manix XL.
Doc, I totally agree on the back lock. I think that would make an outstanding Manix 2 XL variation. I was very interested in the back lock feature on the new Manix 2 and was all set to order one when I noticed the blade thickness of the back lock model, and that made me lose all interest in the knife. I wish the back lock model had the same .125" blade thickness as my Maxamet Manix 2 LW, (which measures a perfect, for me at least, .118" at the spyder hole. I just prefer a thinner blade on my knives for cutting efficiency, (like our Chaparrals). But I would certainly be very receptive to a Manix 2 XL with a back lock and a .125" (118") blade.
Would that combination work for you? :)

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9508
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby Doc Dan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:14 am

El Gato wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
El Gato wrote:Manix 2 XL with stainless steel liners, Forest Green G-10, and K390 blade.
I can't pull the trigger on it because it isn't in the sights yet.
Another day with an empty game bag ...... :mad:
:D I hear you on this one but it needs to be a back lock Manix XL.
Doc, I totally agree on the back lock. I think that would make an outstanding Manix 2 XL variation. I was very interested in the back lock feature on the new Manix 2 and was all set to order one when I noticed the blade thickness of the back lock model, and that made me lose all interest in the knife. I wish the back lock model had the same .125" blade thickness as my Maxamet Manix 2 LW, (which measures a perfect, for me at least, .118" at the spyder hole. I just prefer a thinner blade on my knives for cutting efficiency, (like our Chaparrals). But I would certainly be very receptive to a Manix 2 XL with a back lock and a .125" (118") blade.
Would that combination work for you? :)
I do not think you will be disappointed in the back lock version because of the thick blade. This makes it rugged but it thins out nicely towards the edge and it cuts well. It is my favorite Manix, hands down.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
KnickKnackCity
Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:57 am
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. Earth

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby KnickKnackCity » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:32 am

Ed Schempp Bowie

Nate
Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 am
Location: Hurtling through space...

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:40 am

palonej wrote:I just cannot, no matter how I justify it, pull the trigger on the Lum tanto on Bento Box.
It is the model I drool over, more than any other, but just can't see the $400 price tag.
I torture myself every day by opening that site and just staring at the knife.....still can't do it.
Joe
^Haha, this exactly. I can't do it either. I pulled the trigger on the composite/cf para2 for ~$375 when they dropped because it was a relative deal, but ended up selling it. Just never felt comfortable using it at that price and rarity.

Others for me are pretty much any righty liner or frame locks, the lefty Military just killed them for me (a new Lum Tanto would be an exception). Helps the wallet, but leaves me drooling for a bunch of models I know I wouldn't carry if I had them. Also, anything with metal scales. I've never loved the feel in hand and while I appreciate the look and strength/weight ratio of ti, I don't like the cost premium. Finally, the lefty Para2 also kind of spoiled me and my interest in other righty comp lock models is waning, but not totally dead. Probably can't resist the Sliverax.
:spyder:

User avatar
vanka
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby vanka » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:02 am

Can't pull the trigger on 100 Pacer. Cause it's not available... yet. :D Hope that changes very soon. On the serious side - anything over 300$ is the dream land. Unless i win a lottery or something.

El Gato
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:26 am
Location: SE Arizona USA Earth

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby El Gato » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:37 am

Doc Dan wrote:
El Gato wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
El Gato wrote:Manix 2 XL with stainless steel liners, Forest Green G-10, and K390 blade.
I can't pull the trigger on it because it isn't in the sights yet.
Another day with an empty game bag ...... :mad:
:D I hear you on this one but it needs to be a back lock Manix XL.
Doc, I totally agree on the back lock. I think that would make an outstanding Manix 2 XL variation. I was very interested in the back lock feature on the new Manix 2 and was all set to order one when I noticed the blade thickness of the back lock model, and that made me lose all interest in the knife. I wish the back lock model had the same .125" blade thickness as my Maxamet Manix 2 LW, (which measures a perfect, for me at least, .118" at the spyder hole. I just prefer a thinner blade on my knives for cutting efficiency, (like our Chaparrals). But I would certainly be very receptive to a Manix 2 XL with a back lock and a .125" (118") blade.
Would that combination work for you? :)
I do not think you will be disappointed in the back lock version because of the thick blade. This makes it rugged but it thins out nicely towards the edge and it cuts well. It is my favorite Manix, hands down.
Thanks Doc. Your input is always appreciated. I may have to take a second look. I think my problem, if such is indeed a "problem", is that I am totally spoiled by my Chaparrals. That thin blade takes an insanely sharp edge and just keeps on cutting, as you well know. I have used my Chap for what I consider borderline abusive cutting and it just sails through anything I ask it to do. I edc a pocket Widgy Bar from County Comm, so I don't need a pocket pry bar. But perhaps I need to take a closer look at the Manix 2 back lock.

What I would really like to see is for Sal and Eric to reach into their bag of tricks and pull out a Big Brother size Titanium Chaparral, blown up 15% or 20% all around, with a high performance blade steel like maybe S110V or similar. That would be a knife I would pull the trigger on for sure. :)

Dave

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7980
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby SpyderNut » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 am

The original Swiss-made Walker has always been at the top of my list. They were more plentiful back when I first started buying Spydercos, but even then they were costly. I kick myself now for not buying one when they were still "reasonably" priced. :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby archangel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:15 pm

'Lil Lionspy. I think it's a true beauty. I love it with all my heart. But it's just too expensive.

I wait for it to be discontinued. If the price drops to like $150 (if that is at all realistic) I'll pull the trigger. Worked well with the K2 and the Szabo folder. :)
Michael
The count is 37 / 34

User avatar
Mako109
Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: Seattle/San Francisco, USA

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby Mako109 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:08 pm

The Advocate, my most anticipated model for 2017, but the faulty pivot had a chilling effect. I'll still pull the trigger if and when the improved version is released. I can wait.

User avatar
Blerv
Member
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 am

Re: Name the spyderco you can't pull trigger on

Postby Blerv » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:55 pm

The Battlestation. I want it but I don't want it. Makes me feel like a teenager or something. :p


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearfacedkiller, benben, Bing [Bot], cabfrank, dj moonbat, Google [Bot], Mushroom, rcwill98 and 40 guests