This Pocket Jockey rose to the top

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hobnob

This Pocket Jockey rose to the top

Post by Hobnob »

It's the Delica. I have carried one for the last 17 years both on and off duty (Retired LEO). For some strange reason, I started looking at other options for EDC. There have been no problems with the Delica whatsoever, just wanting to try something new. Guess I'm one of those that can't leave well-enough alone. Tried the Native, Manix 2, PM 2, UK Penknife, Dragonfly and Endura. Almost forgot the new Urban with K390. They are all fine quality Knives and look real good in a drawer. For me the Delica checked all the boxes.
freebird610

Re: This Pocket Jockey rose to the top

Post by freebird610 »

I have had a similar experience with the delica. I just can't find one that I like carrying more. I didn't start with the delica but I ended with one for the foreseeable future. You just can't beat it for edc. I have other great Spyderco's but they just can't beat out the delica for edc.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

It's one of my favorites as well. I just don't find VG-10 durable enough for an everyday work knife. Hopefully, Sal will give us one in M390, preferably stonewashed. ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I started with the Delica and did not like it. Handle was too small for my hands and the saber grind was bad at cutting compared to the SAK I EDC'd at the time.

It was my next Spyderco, the Cara Cara 1 in G10, that got me hooked.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I share the same experience.My VG10 grey Delica with a deep carry Casey Lynch pocket clip, reign supreme in my pocket and trust me, I tried them all.
When I received the Para3 I said to myself: finally a Delica 4 killer.After one week my beloved D4 was back in pocket. For my city mundane tasks the ffg Delica 4 is perfect but when I live the city the mighty Cruwear Millie takes over.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

the Delica is in my top 3 of all time favorite designs from ANY knife company. If I could only own one knife (for EDC), it would probably be a Delica.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've carried a Delica of some sort since the early 90s. It was my go-to knife as an EMT and later saw use in the Army. When the Delica 4 came out I got a serrated ZDP-189 version and carried it as a Med-Tech at an Urgent Care and various walk-in clinics. That one now resides as my car knife and a flat ground version in brown FRN rides in my pocket most days at work. Sometimes I swap in a Benchmade or ZT, but I seem to always come back to the Delica.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is my favorite all time pocket knife (sans clip!). Nothing comes close. It fits even my large thick hands but is slim and small enough to carry in my pocket without issues. I love the Delica and wish it came in better steels. (I am still dreaming of the promised Super Gold or something better).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:The Delica is my favorite all time pocket knife (sans clip!). Nothing comes close. It fits even my large thick hands but is slim and small enough to carry in my pocket without issues. I love the Delica and wish it came in better steels. (I am still dreaming of the promised Super Gold or something better).
Better steels :confused: What's wrong with ZDP189, HAP40 or Superblue ? :eek:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, HAP40 and Super Blue are not regular production knives. ZDP-189 is okay, but I would like to also have a choice of something different, and green is not my favorite color (except the foliage green).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wish they would do delica "mules". It's a great platform to test steels out on, fix blades don't get much use with me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal