Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – ATR

Post by Donut »

Mr Blonde wrote: Image

S30V from Seki is pretty interesting!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Donut wrote:

I have a question for long time followers please. Have you ever seen the mix of steels from the different Spyderco facilities that we have today? Is S30V just that common and moving away from Golden only? It seems Seki is going against the grain with non-Japanese steels. I prefer Taichung models but the lines seem to be blurring.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ohcyclist

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Post by ohcyclist »

For those at the meet, did you get any sense for when the ATR might be available?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jdw wrote:
Donut wrote:

I have a question for long time followers please. Have you ever seen the mix of steels from the different Spyderco facilities that we have today? Is S30V just that common and moving away from Golden only? It seems Seki is going against the grain with non-Japanese steels. I prefer Taichung models but the lines seem to be blurring.
This is an interesting point. Seeing US-made steels in foreign-made knives is definitely a newer concept for Spyderco, but I doubt it has much to do with the availability (or abundance) of a certain steel. In fact, it would actually be quite a bit more costly to use domestic steels in overseas manufacturing. CPM-S30V is actually considered to be a "higher-end" steel in the general knife world--but it may have a tendency to become under-appreciated over time because we see it frequently used in so many of Spyderco's designs.

More than anything, I think this trend also points towards Spydero's continued focus for innovation and product evolution--which is very good for us ELUs. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really is an amazing time to be alive when steels like S30V are considered outdated or inadequate.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Evil D wrote:It really is an amazing time to be alive when steels like S30V are considered outdated or inadequate.
Not the world's biggest cheerleader for ledeburitic steels, but, yes, that's weird. It's like complaining that your elephant can tap dance, but not waltz.

I like how the reboot of the ATR combines the CPM-S30V with the D4/E4 clip (even though the original was awesome, too), G-10, and Seki City construction.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:It really is an amazing time to be alive when steels like S30V are considered outdated or inadequate.

I am as ignorant as they come regarding steel, but I am learning. What I see, however, is that this attitude is not based upon actual steel knowledge, but on fashion. It is like clothing styles. "Oh that is sooo last year" is the attitude.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:What? No more? Usually he posts a lot of pictures over a few consecutive days.
You may have missed this post, but not to worry, Wouter will be back with more excellent content soon!
Mr Blonde wrote:I’m sorry to have put everyone on a little waiting period, but this will be the last batch of photos for a few days. With work and the IWA Show in Germany, I won’t be able to select, crop, edit and post more images before March 7th. Despite my amateur efforts, I’ll do my best to make sure it will be worth the wait. I might be able to chime in on the forums, but more pictures will follow on March 7th. Thanks for watching!
Thanks. Somehow I did over look it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:

I am as ignorant as they come regarding steel, but I am learning. What I see, however, is that this attitude is not based upon actual steel knowledge, but on fashion. It is like clothing styles. "Oh that is sooo last year" is the attitude.
There are certainly steels that perform better in some categories, but to say it's a poor steel is a bit ridiculous. I will admit that there are several steels I would rather get than S30V, but it definitely gets the job done and won't dissuade me from buying a model I like. I would have been just fine with the ATR in VG10 too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Doc hit it right on the nail, yes these new super steels are awesome but it's more like a "fashion statement". S30v is a great steel and one of my favorites. I will never get bored with it. Don't understand why some people say s30 and vg10 are going out of style or aren't good enough anymore.
Josh
mattman

Post by mattman »

If I recall correctly, it took some amount of persuasion to convince Seki to consider working with S30V... I seem to remember that the ATR is a "trial run" to see if the trend will continue...
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Evil D wrote:I would have been just fine with the ATR in VG10 too.
Back when I was young, the Earth's crust became a little more firm, and we got used to a predominantly nitrogen atmosphere, Seki was making VG-10 ATR knives with stainless handles and integral Compression Lock.

The new Li'l Temp2 will have Seki City construction and VG-10. It doesn't have a seductive, Jester-esque blade, though. It's full flat grind, so take it or leaf it.

:p
Donut

Post by Donut »

SpyderNut wrote:
jdw wrote:
Donut wrote: S30V from Seki is pretty interesting!
This is an interesting point. Seeing US-made steels in foreign-made knives is definitely a newer concept for Spyderco, but I doubt it has much to do with the availability (or abundance) of a certain steel. In fact, it would actually be quite a bit more costly to use domestic steels in overseas manufacturing. CPM-S30V is actually considered to be a "higher-end" steel in the general knife world--but it may have a tendency to become under-appreciated over time because we see it frequently used in so many of Spyderco's designs.

More than anything, I think this trend also points towards Spydero's continued focus for innovation and product evolution--which is very good for us ELUs. :)
What I've always heard is that the Japanese plants like to use all Japanese made materials in their production. As far as I know, S30V is made in the USA. I can't imagine it's cheap to ship raw steel. (I cringe at the thought of the shipping cost I'd have to pay to ship a small block of steel.)

jdw, I've never seen it. Usually someone starts a thread about a new sprint and the first post is "You can't get S30V in a Seki model." That's the RULE! :)
Evil D wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
There are certainly steels that perform better in some categories, but to say it's a poor steel is a bit ridiculous. I will admit that there are several steels I would rather get than S30V, but it definitely gets the job done and won't dissuade me from buying a model I like. I would have been just fine with the ATR in VG10 too.
I probably need to beat on S30V some more to know just how great it is. I've never had it perform badly, but I have enough knives in S30V that I'm not running to buy something because it has S30V and it doesn't usually push me over the edge.

Though, I wouldn't mind getting myself a Delica and Endura in S30V. :)

I don't know if I'd call S30V outdated or inadequate as much as it is becoming "too common". Like Doc says, I don't want to dress like everyone else.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Donut wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
jdw wrote:
Donut wrote: S30V from Seki is pretty interesting!

What I've always heard is that the Japanese plants like to use all Japanese made materials in their production. As far as I know, S30V is made in the USA. I can't imagine it's cheap to ship raw steel. (I cringe at the thought of the shipping cost I'd have to pay to ship a small block of steel.)
I agree, Bryan. Shipping USA-made (domestic) steels overseas would be a costly venture. I'd hate to see that invoice. ;) The same would also be true with Spyderco importing Japanese H1 for use on the Autonomy.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Not only would the manufacture have to agree and the cost of shipping, but what about import tariffs and taxes both going in and coming back. It can get complicated pretty fast I think. Sal and co are maybe doing some heavy lifting for us.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

S30V just chips like ****, and as such I prefer S35V. My dad has the Millie I gifted him and has never sharpened it and used extensively. It shaved arm hair the last I checked. I wonder if it wasn't run quite so hard if the chipping would decrease?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

thombrogan wrote:
Evil D wrote:I would have been just fine with the ATR in VG10 too.
Back when I was young, the Earth's crust became a little more firm, and we got used to a predominantly nitrogen atmosphere, Seki was making VG-10 ATR knives with stainless handles and integral Compression Lock.

The new Li'l Temp2 will have Seki City construction and VG-10. It doesn't have a seductive, Jester-esque blade, though. It's full flat grind, so take it or leaf it.
:p
The Lil'Temp got changed to S30V also.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks Wouter for always giving us the pleasure of seeing what you get to see.

I'm very interested in the Caly 3 and the ATR.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
swigert

Post by swigert »

I mean it's got 80 less v's than the top of the line right? It must suck enough to throw into some crummy oversees made knife.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

S30V is an exceptional steel anywhere and everywhere but the spyderco catalog. Most other big companies don't offer steel anywhere near as good as s30v. But at Spyderco while it's not a base model steel, it's not top shelf either. I have enough vg10 and s30v in my collection, which isn't to say I will never buy another knife in those steels, but I can say I won't be buying the knife for the steel, Id be buying it for the blade shape. As opposed to something like the maxamet native, I already own a native, I am buying the maxamet native for the steel not the blade shape.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal