Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thombrogan

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Post by thombrogan »

Halfneck wrote:The Lil'Temp got changed to S30V also.
There goes the neighborhood
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I just got back from a wonderful IWA Show in Germany, and I’ll continue to work on the Amsterdam Meet 2017 report right away. I’ll upload more photos later today, thank you for your patience!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
swigert

Post by swigert »

Mr Blonde wrote:I just got back from a wonderful IWA Show in Germany, and I’ll continue to work on the Amsterdam Meet 2017 report right away. I’ll upload more photos later today, thank you for your patience!
Can't wait.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ZrowsN1s wrote:S30V is an exceptional steel anywhere and everywhere but the spyderco catalog.
Quoted for truth.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and realize that Spyderco are right out at the front of the race- and the rest of the pack is trailing behind them......And that means stuff we take for granted (like S30v, like sprint runs, like the CEO being an active responsive presence on these boards, like requests for sprints or steels or colours being listened to) really doesn't happen elsewhere.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Every other company charges a premium for S30V. For Spyderco it is one of the base steels. Man, we are spoiled!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Chinook 4

Post by Mr Blonde »

Gentleman’s knives like the Chaparral are very nice and all, but sometimes I just want to clip on a big strong folder. The Chinook 4 will certainly itch that scratch for me! I’ve been a fan of this cool folding bowie design, ever since the first Chinook came out around 2001. That first edition was notoriously heavy, to support the strength needed in the knife’s design. Now in 2017, the Chinook is bigger and (much) lighter and probably even stronger, thanks to the use of the Power Lock. I also liked the new (to me at least) broad hourglass clip. It did seem to improve the large folder’s ergonomics. This particular sample looks a bit rough in these images, which tells me a lot of people enjoyed handling it at the various shows where it was displayed. I’m sure that the production Chinook 4 knives will look spic and span out of the box.

Specifications
Overall Length: 22,6 cm / 8.89 inches
Blade Length: 9,9 cm / 3.89 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,5 mm / 0.13 inches
Weight: 159 grams / 5.60 ounces
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've been waiting for the new Chinook for a very long time--plus, it will feature the Power-Lock! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – D’Allara 3

Post by Mr Blonde »

The D’Allara 3 was an interesting update over the original. I remember the older FRN version being quite bulky. It featured a solid blade and a nice ergonomic grip, but it was certainly a hand- and pocketful. The D’Allara 3 is very slim and light, and it still felt very solid. I even had a bit of trouble unlocking the ceramic ball lock on the production sample. In a way this, design reminded me of the Super Leaf, but a lot sleeker and thinner.

Specifications
Overall Length: 20,5 cm / 8.07 inches
Blade Length: 8,6 cm / 3.40 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 128 grams / 4.50 ounces
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'll be able to post more tomorrow...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks again for all you do
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
paladin

Re: Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Chinook 4

Post by paladin »

Mr Blonde wrote:Gentleman’s knives like the Chaparral are very nice and all, but sometimes I just want to clip on a big strong folder. The Chinook 4 will certainly itch that scratch for me!
Heheheheheh....so are you saying the Chinook annoys you and makes you unsatisfied?

Just funnin' ya :p ...thanks for brightening my day with a lol moment <albeit, unintentional> ;)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Thanks for the update! I'm surely going to pick up a Qball, D'Allara and maybe a Police 4 when they come out! ****, the Chinook looks great too, might as well add that one to my arsenal as well!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm excited for the D'Allara 3! Looks like a great utilitarian design and will definitely make its way into my EDC.
-Nick :bug-red
osprey

Post by osprey »

Can't wait for the D' 3 - hopefully there is a serrated/rescue version being considered
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Really been into the bigger blades lately, can't wait for the Chinook, and that power lock, will be my first.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Chinook looks really nice. It always seemed like too much belly for my tastes, but seeing the way it angles in your hand make it look like it'd handle just fine. Who knows, might try out the design this time around!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Only gripe i have with the D'Allara is that the ball was kind of hard to get at. Had to use the very tip of my index finger to get it unlocked. IMO it needs a little scalloping around the ball lock.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

demoncase wrote: Sometimes we need to take a step back and realize that Spyderco are right out at the front of the race- and the rest of the pack is trailing behind them......And that means stuff we take for granted (like S30v, like sprint runs, like the CEO being an active responsive presence on these boards, like requests for sprints or steels or colours being listened to) really doesn't happen elsewhere.
+1

Wow the D'Allara looks cool. The chinook as well. Chinook is on the larger side for me but I love the design, D'Allara officially on my list, never owned a ball bearing lock before.(yet another cool lock option out of many from spyderco :spyder: )

*Thanks for posting the pics Mr.Blonde
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
animportant

Post by animportant »

Imagine D'allara 3 sprint in HAP40?! :eek:
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

Thanks for all your work to post the photos and info. It's great work, and I think everyone here appreciates it!