Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Post by Evil D »

I believe Sal has said if the D'Allara sells well then a FRN version like the original may be possible. I was really hoping the G10 version would have thicker contoured scales. The grip is my favorite part of the original, so making it flat is a bit of a let down for me. I'm sure most will be happy with it though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'm with you there EvilD. Apart from the pocket hogging the old handle felt better and, if memory serves me was easier to unlock. Let's hope for a FRN model with more contoured handle and a wee bit more scalloping around the ball!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Larry_Mott wrote:I'm with you there EvilD. Apart from the pocket hogging the old handle felt better and, if memory serves me was easier to unlock. Let's hope for a FRN model with more contoured handle and a wee bit more scalloping around the ball!
My knife pocket is only used for knives so I'm OK with pocket hogging for the most part. If it makes the knife that much more enjoyable to use then I can live with it. The original D'Allara without a clip is a real eye opener in hand. It feels better than a lot of fixed blades I've held.
~David
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

So far only the DT4 trips my trigger... John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
I've found with the original D'Allaras that it's very convenient to pull back the ball with my thumbnail while flipping the blade around with my index finger. This may require a broken in spring and no nail biting :p
'
I can't remember the original D'Allara being a problem, i was referring to the D'Allara 3 (I don't own the original D'Allara but i have played with one from time to time.
Right, I was thinking the same trick might work on the model 3. And truth be known, I was originally hoping for another hand-filling grip model too, and I suspect the FRN model will have thicker scales, but apparently pocket space is a major concern for a most buyers. Also, the hollow grind of the original is part of its awesome appearance and personality, but admittedly not as widely functional as FFG. So the D'Allara 3 is a whole different knife, more for EDC than special heavy duty purposes, but I like thinner knives too, for different occasions. It might look pretty snazzy in nishijin scales. Hopefully, it or the Qball will be my first ceramic BBL.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Well, I love pocket stones and am so excited to see a new one. Diamond and fine ceramic suits my needs perfectly. I see it has a fish hook groove or something.
I think there is a groove, though. At least on the ceramic.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Brad Southard Hanan

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Hanan was a nice classy little folder. The flipper, combined with the compression lock, worked very well. I’m not a big fan of that plunged grind on the blade, but I love the dropped tip and light recurve. Also, I really liked the handle design with that classic bolster. Some photos might give the impression that the blade is bead blasted, but that is not the case. The blade features a satin finish, that proved either way too shiny in my photos, or a bit dull and almost like it was bead blasted. I mostly chose the latter during photo selection and editing.

Specifications
Overall Length: 17,5 cm / 6.88 inches
Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 82 grams / 2.89 ounces
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2017 Production Sample – Jonny Liao Hundred Pacer

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Hundred Pacer was a nice ‘odd’ surprise to me at the meet. I actually googled some pictures of the knife’s slithering namesake, and I have to admit that the knife’s handle pattern and upswept blade really look a lot like the snake. The knife was big and looked very unusual. The handle even looked a bit too blocky to me at first. Picking up the knife, however, made a lot of difference for me. This was a very light folder and that blocky handle seemed surprisingly versatile for different grips. I think Eric mentioned it in one of the SHOT show videos, and I agree that the Hundred Pacer seems to make a wonderful folding kitchen knife. I also like the G-10 pattern on the handle a lot. It’s very different from what Spyderco usually makes. Even though on paper this knife is a bit larger than I usually prefer, I might just add the Hundred Pacer to my wish list.

Specifications
Overall Length: 23,5 cm / 9.25 inches
Blade Length: 10,5 cm / 4.13 inches
Blade Thickness: 3,5 mm / 0.13 inches
Weight: 147 grams / 5.18 ounces
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

To be continued...
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

WOW!!. thanks again for the great pics
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Awesome pics once again. I'm thinking that Southard Hanan might have to go on my wish list. The Hundred Pacer is probably a little bigger than I'd prefer but those scales are so cool!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The 100 Pacer was really nice, except when closed... Holy Moly.. Dealbreaker warning :(
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

For some reason I'm oddly attracted to that hundred pacer, I love that Spyderco isn't afraid to think outside the box.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I really like the overall style of the hanan but the blade is just ... wrong ... for me. No clue, probably the recurve or whatever.
The hundred pacer though is just the right amount of weird to attract my attention. And as farnorthdan said, glad that spyderco is willing to give knives like this a try.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:For some reason I'm oddly attracted to that hundred pacer, I love that Spyderco isn't afraid to think outside the box.
It's going to be one of those knives that sells for 3x MSRP a few years from now.
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Interesting to see how that Hanan comp lock feels in use... I like how it looks. Really too bad the blade shape isn't more conventional IMHO. Seems like the wire clip shoulda been on the Hanan and visa versa with the Hundred Pacer. Regardless, I agree that it's nice to see new designs even if their not within my boring comfort zone :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like all the thumb on the spine grip friendly knives I'm seeing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

It was a great pleasure to meet all of you who attended the Amsterdam Meet. What a fun day in a room with 90 Spyderholics like myself.

Thank you Wouter for the photography and hope to see you all again next year!

Joyce Laituri
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Nice to meet you too Joyce! And IF given the chance i will be there again next year!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

The Hanan looks nice, but I'm just more interested in the Sliver when it comes to CompLock flippers. :D
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2