Polestar, who's got one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Polestar, who's got one?

Post by araneae »

Anyone have a Polestar yet? Pics?
Thx
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Larry_Mott

Re: Polestar, who's got one?

Post by Larry_Mott »

Yes, got one at Amsterdam meet (Thank you very much!) Hang on..

Comparison (and as it came out, the order of personal preference) :)

Last edited by Larry_Mott on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Thanks, was actually hoping for a Raven pic! They look so similar, not sure I need them both, but very tempted...
-Nick

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Got one at the meet as well :) Really liking it thus far! The netted G10 really adds something unique to the collection whilst still being functional, the blade steel is better than most China made Spydies and the blade shape is a classic for good reasons ;)

Thanks again Spyderco!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Yep, also a recipient of the freebie one and I really like it.

I think the blade has got more of a classic Spyderco look in terms of the profile than the earlier value line...I think that might be the larger hole.

The netted G10 is subtle- it's a grey-bluish colour which will be easy to pick out if you drop it in the woods without being bright....Plus it's slightly translucent which (as always in my book) is cool :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRShbgT

My thoughts on the Polestar and the Efficient: there's now no reason, IMO, to buy a Tenacious. You have two much better options around the same size, especially the Polestar with its better steel, and, also IMO, better ergonomics.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Is there much of a significant difference in performance between BD1 and 8Cr13MoV ? I see BD1 has a tiny bit more carbon and some more Chromium so I imagine that it's more rust resistant? I don't imagine there would be all that much difference in cutting performance/edge retention? Do I have that right?
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I got one at the Spyderco meet. Very good quality. Smooth action, centred blade, excellent fit and finish.
kvnlau7

Post by kvnlau7 »

I like the polestar. no play, centered ,smooth. But The chinese G10 doesn't feel as nice. the Net thing that suppose to give the knife more grip just doesn'tdo the job. CTS-BD1 steel is a nice upgrade though. I personally would Opt for the Manix Lightweight or pay more and get the PM2 or manix.
But at 60$ its great value.

Check out my IG: Kvnlau7
Also known as kvnlau7 on bladeforums
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kvnlau7,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Here's a nice shot:
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
kvnlau7

Post by kvnlau7 »

sal wrote:Hi Kvnlau7,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks sal. I lost the email to my old account we've met during Spyderco meets ;)
Hope you come visit us again. Eric told us you stopped traveling abroad and limited your self to 1 trip a year.
Hope you have fun in Japan.

Eric: "a body in motion stays in motion."

Kevin
Check out my IG: Kvnlau7
Also known as kvnlau7 on bladeforums
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Yup, I also received one and for me the steelchoice and the PB washers is a qualitystep more than the Tenacious-family. It just adds a little more confident because these components make the models approach the more expensive folders like US or Japan made Spyders.
I even prefer the chinese try of G10 over peelply black G10 in the Tenacious family. So I consider these two models (Polestar and Alcyone) a wise marketing-choice for an even better value folder line up.

Two remarks; who did the marketing picture of the Polestar? I recognize Ursa minor in which 'the Polestar' is a star. The person who did made a wonderful composition of an knife in a starry sky, but obviously doesn't know where Polaris ( the polestar) is positioned. Second; why choosing Alcyone? A star in the Pleiades? Who is familiar with the Pleiades? Why not Sirius or Rigel, much bigger and much more prominent stars and more known among scouts...just a thought and no offense... :rolleyes:
araneae

Post by araneae »

Diamondback wrote:Is there much of a significant difference in performance between BD1 and 8Cr13MoV ? I see BD1 has a tiny bit more carbon and some more Chromium so I imagine that it's more rust resistant? I don't imagine there would be all that much difference in cutting performance/edge retention? Do I have that right?
I think it may be more perceived than real as far as being an "upgrade". If you like paying more for American made, I guess its an upgrade; but I think the 2 steels are similar enough that no one could tell the difference in performance through real use. That's just my observation from use and looking at the steel charts.
-Nick

nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

toomzz wrote: why choosing Alcyone? A star in the Pleiades? Who is familiar with the Pleiades? Why not Sirius or Rigel, much bigger and much more prominent stars and more known among scouts...just a thought and no offense... :rolleyes:
I suspect Sal's choice of Alcyone is influenced by the mythology crossovers (bird, sea, and 'halcyon days') , which have historical connection with Mr. Glesser.

(ālea iacta est, re: another knife he named)

The choice of "Polestar" was influenced no doubt to avoid trademark issues of Polaris. But that's just a bit more than a SWAG, and dovetails with an astronomical origin.
One may hope that Sal chimes in with the RealStory, but I am content that he maintain some enigma.

The Polestar I received exhibits excellent execution, and the new G10 is a welcome variant. I anxiously await Alcyone.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Also got one at the meet and very happy carrying it for the past days.
Really like this G10, looks great and has a very nice structure. For me it turned out to be a great bonus that the color of the material really blends in with jeans making it not too obvious that one is carrying a knife.
sal

Post by sal »

The "Real story" is much more simple. I thought that stars wold be a good theme for names of knives that might be used by Scouts. Unfortunately for us, there is a Spanish knife company that had the same idea before us and many of the "better" star names have been or are being used by this company. Out of respect for them, I refrained. The remaining star names not used are often difficult to pronounce or remember. So I did the best I could with the parameters offered.

The maker is a good maker and we'll likely work with him on more models. I think a smaller "star" might find appeal. Should you come up with any star names that are easy to say and remember, let me know.

sal
mattman

Post by mattman »

sal wrote:The "Real story" is much more simple. I thought that stars wold be a good theme for names of knives that might be used by Scouts. Unfortunately for us, there is a Spanish knife company that had the same idea before us and many of the "better" star names have been or are being used by this company. Out of respect for them, I refrained. The remaining star names not used are often difficult to pronounce or remember. So I did the best I could with the parameters offered.

The maker is a good maker and we'll likely work with him on more models. I think a smaller "star" might find appeal. Should you come up with any star names that are easy to say and remember, let me know.

sal
Was Occams Razor a Spyderco?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sal: (If they're not already taken) How about_
Bellatrix
Castor
Capella
Electra
Grassias
Mira
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
toeterbaas

Post by toeterbaas »

I wonder how this polestar steel perform.
Delica 4 Zome , Lava Silver