Pacific Salt One Year Later - A Big Surprise / Sleeper EDC Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Pacific Salt One Year Later - A Big Surprise / Sleeper EDC Knife

Post by DansGunBlog »

Folks, I've recommended the Pacific Salt to so many friends and colleagues over the past year, today I finally wrote up the way overdue review on it.

I first got a Pacific Salt at the strong encouragement of Surfingringo - and I'm sure glad I tried it.

To my surprise, over the past year, the Pacific Salt has become the knife I grab when I only carry one, i.e. running, at the gym, etc. Basically the good-sized blade, very narrow profile, light weight, combined with its solid build is a no-brainer. Rust resistance against sweat is also handy, quick rinse and you’re done.

It's a perfect running companion to the most excellent and very light (and highly underrated) Glock 42.

The only downside I've found is you end up buying more than one... what started as "wtf, let's try one" ended up with I think the sixth one I bought last week. Not all for me lol, they make great gifts for the ladies in your life who would normally not carry an overbuilt hefty knife like the Resilience or even the Military.

Anyway, here's the full review. Any feedback welcome. :)

Cheers!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
elena86

Re: Pacific Salt One Year Later - A Big Surprise / Sleeper EDC Knife

Post by elena86 »

DansGunBlog wrote:Folks, I've recommended the Pacific Salt to so many friends and colleagues over the past year, today I finally wrote up the way overdue review on it.

I first got a Pacific Salt at the strong encouragement of Surfingringo - and I'm sure glad I tried it.

To my surprise, over the past year, the Pacific Salt has become the knife I grab when I only carry one, i.e. running, at the gym, etc. Basically the good-sized blade, very narrow profile, light weight, combined with its solid build is a no-brainer. Rust resistance against sweat is also handy, quick rinse and you’re done.

It's a perfect running companion to the most excellent and very light (and highly underrated) Glock 42.

The only downside I've found is you end up buying more than one... what started as "wtf, let's try one" ended up with I think the sixth one I bought last week. Not all for me lol, they make great gifts for the ladies in your life who would normally not carry an overbuilt hefty knife like the Resilience or even the Military.

Anyway, here's the full review. Any feedback welcome. :)

Cheers!
Dan
I own 4 serrated Pac Salts and two of them are moded with a pointy tip, Surfingringo style.Yes Sir, I have to say that Gringo is a shameless enabler ;) The serrated Pac Salt is the folder I'd take with me in a trip around the world.Enough said.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have to ask, why do you all like the serrated model? What do you cut with them?
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jazz wrote:I have to ask, why do you all like the serrated model? What do you cut with them?
I cut everything with a spyderedge.The only thing I struggle to do with a spyderedge is to peel a tomato.I loooove spyderedges :cool: :spyder:

Marius
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Jazz wrote:I have to ask, why do you all like the serrated model? What do you cut with them?
I believe the serrated salts hold an edge better than the PE models, something to do with the way the edge is ground causing work hardening or something (been years since i was reading up on it)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Open easily, cut everything that's needed, fold, done.
No rust, no heavy brick in the pocket, no thick bulk to notice, and no grip to lose.

Has all you need, nothing you don't. At least for me. Gringo I blame you!

It's been my primary folder since day 1, long time ago...have 4 of them now, two modded as well!

freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I really enjoy my pacific salt. Just wish they could make it ffg. Then it would be perfect. Hoping for a ffg lc200n version one day. :)
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

A SE Salt, usually Tasman, is the perfect work knife for me. I own a lawn care and landscape company. My daily tasks include cutting trimmer string, weeding shrub beds, opening bags of fertilize/pre emergent, cutting bailing twine, etc. I have used PE in the past, but most of my cutting is rough use, not delicate work. The SE Salt not only stays sharp longer but requires less care and cuts better if dull compared to PE. To add, I have rusted most every other knife I've used for work just from sweat. I live in the hot and humid south, so I stay wet the majority of the day during summer. I don't have to worry about it anymore with H1.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have quite a collection of them as well. I think its the best EDC knife Spyderco makes for someone that wants a good sized blade without much weight or bulk.

I have a few different versions of them, with an original run seeing lots of EDC time.

I like to do a few mods to the ones I carry. Regrind the tip to make it more like an Endura 3's pointy profile, thin out the edge, and add a finger choil to the front of the handle.

One thing that I really appreciate about the model is the strong self close on the lock. That combined with being light and rust proof make it the perfect knife to carry when doing outdoors activities. Its my go to for IWB carry while jogging, hiking etc.

PE for me. SE only has an advantage over a dull PE. Keep your knife sharp and (for me at least) PE works better.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Dan, your blog is great and your review of the Spyderco Pacific Salt is superb and amazing. Thank you, sir. You have convinced me that the Spyderco Serrated Edge Pacific Salt is the perfect knife. I have one and I exposed it to salt water tests and posted the pictures here on the forum. Not a single spot of rust on the blade at all. H1 Stainless Steel is super.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

@Thepeacent - beautiful pics, thanks for sharing!

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Echo63 wrote:
I believe the serrated salts hold an edge better than the PE models, something to do with the way the edge is ground causing work hardening or something (been years since i was reading up on it)
Same here... in part the H1 concept of work hardening, at least on paper lol, never tested it personally, but seems to be a well observed thing.

That said, I like having a plain edge and a companion serrated edge. but when only 1, I grab the SE Pacific Salt.

Also, when gifting a knife to someone who's less familiar with sharpening and is going to use it a lot less than I do (each day lol), I prefer to give a serrated edge that will stay sharp/usable a long time without needing sharpening to tear/cut.

Dan

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Dan, your blog is great and your review of the Spyderco Pacific Salt is superb and amazing. Thank you, sir. You have convinced me that the Spyderco Serrated Edge Pacific Salt is the perfect knife. I have one and I exposed it to salt water tests and posted the pictures here on the forum. Not a single spot of rust on the blade at all. H1 Stainless Steel is super.
Thank you. :) it's funny, living in North Dallas it's not a coastal area, but for exercising, the rust resistance to sweat which is so corrosive is a very nice thing. lol same reason I carry a Glock, far more likely to survive all that sweat with a wipe-down than a lower quality firearm.

If only Glock was as customer focused and interactive as Spyderco. :)

Dan

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Dan, if you were to think about it long enough, are there any ways you personally would like to see the Pacific Salt improved or is it pretty much perfect as is? Someone else in the thread mentioned they would like to see other blade grinds, such as a Full Flat Grind Pacific Salt.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Definitely one of my favorites, I still have just one which I've owned for about 1,5 years by now.
Has seen plenty of use and some abuse and is still going very strong. Hoping to finally get another one and mainly a Salt1 soon.
Great super lightweight hard use folders.
(for that reason I also don't miss the flat grind and often carry something else that is flat ground with PE)
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Dan, if you were to think about it long enough, are there any ways you personally would like to see the Pacific Salt improved or is it pretty much perfect as is? Someone else in the thread mentioned they would like to see other blade grinds, such as a Full Flat Grind Pacific Salt.
Donno... have to say I like the package as is.

Before I got one I was thinking the improved Endura style scales would be better, but now I'm not so sure. these are super light and thin and small.

We'll see what they do with it next... but i'm happy with what it is, as it is. :)

Dan

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Awesome write up, Dan! I had the same reaction to the weight as you when I realized how light it is. It's really an outlier on the trendline of size vs weight. I don't have an Endura 4 so I can't really compare the handles, but I actually really like the current 3 style handles on the Pacific. Aren't they scheduled to be updated, or is that a different Salt?

One thing though: what do you mean by "proprietary" in regards to H1? Do they have exclusive rights to it? I know they don't make it (I believe that would be Myodo?), but I can't say I've seen it anywhere else in the world. Which, by the way, boggles the mind given how useful it is.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

PayneTrain wrote:Awesome write up, Dan! I had the same reaction to the weight as you when I realized how light it is. It's really an outlier on the trendline of size vs weight. I don't have an Endura 4 so I can't really compare the handles, but I actually really like the current 3 style handles on the Pacific. Aren't they scheduled to be updated, or is that a different Salt?

One thing though: what do you mean by "proprietary" in regards to H1? Do they have exclusive rights to it? I know they don't make it (I believe that would be Myodo?), but I can't say I've seen it anywhere else in the world. Which, by the way, boggles the mind given how useful it is.
They are scheduled to be updated. They will be receiving the Endura 4 handles minus the liners from my understanding. I like my endure but its kinda sad to see the old style fade away. I honestly like both for different reasons.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

freebird610 wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:Awesome write up, Dan! I had the same reaction to the weight as you when I realized how light it is. It's really an outlier on the trendline of size vs weight. I don't have an Endura 4 so I can't really compare the handles, but I actually really like the current 3 style handles on the Pacific. Aren't they scheduled to be updated, or is that a different Salt?

They are scheduled to be updated. They will be receiving the Endura 4 handles minus the liners from my understanding. I like my endure but its kinda sad to see the old style fade away. I honestly like both for different reasons.
We are not sure they are receiving the actual Endura 4 handles.At least I hope they are not.I intend to purchase a bunch(I allready own 4 of them) just in case.I like the old style handle as it is.On the other side, the Delica4 handle style would be an improvement for the Salt1 line IMO.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

elena86 wrote:
freebird610 wrote:

We are not sure they are receiving the actual Endura 4 handles.At least I hope they are not.I intend to purchase a bunch(I allready own 4 of them) just in case.I like the old style handle as it is.On the other side, the Delica4 handle style would be an improvement for the Salt1 line IMO.
I thought I remember reading in a thread recently that they were getting the exact same handles but I could be wrong. Guess we will see soon.