Interest in non-Salt hawkbills?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Interest in non-Salt hawkbills?

Post by Able Dog »

I was day-dreaming about hawkbills, and potential knife designs while driving today. One would be called the Siren, and could be the big sister to the Harpy.

But I certainly gave more thought to a pair of Owl-themed MBC hawkbills.

Owls, being zygodactyl, are able to pivot one of their toes so they have 2 talons at the top and 2 below when striking.

To take inspiration from this, a Spyderco Barred or Great Horn (names are WIP) would need to deploy equally smoothly in a standard or reverse grip. My preferred lock for that would be the Compression Lock.

The hawkbill blade is an obvious choice. Owls also have much more boney and muscular feet than other birds. The blade stock could be a bit beefy to reflect this. Perhaps along the lines of the Superleaf or Superhawk.

Now that I think about it, how about just bringing the Superhawk back? I still really like owls though.
Last edited by Able Dog on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
ZrowsN1s

Re: Interest in non-Salt hawkbills?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have so much interest it's ridiculous :D

Compression lock, g-10 or carbon fiber, PE, super steel. If you are feeling super ambitious, flipper ;)

A PE HAP40 Lil' Matriarch would also top my list.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My biggest reason for always voting for H1 for a hawkbill is because I tend to also like them in SE. I would be all for a different steel if PE were the only option.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Evil D wrote:My biggest reason for always voting for H1 for a hawkbill is because I tend to also like them in SE. I would be all for a different steel if PE were the only option.
SE edge is always an option I think. That makes H1 still a strong contender.

Nested compression lock and a woodsy looking canvas micarta sounds good to me.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Able Dog wrote:
Evil D wrote:My biggest reason for always voting for H1 for a hawkbill is because I tend to also like them in SE. I would be all for a different steel if PE were the only option.
SE edge is always an option I think. That makes H1 still a strong contender.

I'll admit I'm a PE guy for sure. But I'd never knock SE, it's great, and should always be an option, I would only point out that SE seems to be the only option for hawkbills at the moment except the PE tasman, so for variety sake more PE would be nice. I love my tasman and would never get rid of my favorite lime cutter, but I'm looking for more of a zdp, m4, k390, hap40, MAXAMET, ect... heck bring back Superblue (all the 2nd market stuff has pretty much sold). Let's not leave out the reverse S either, I'd like a ZDP PE civilian just as well as a Maxamet Superhawk.
Able Dog wrote:Nested compression lock and a woodsy looking canvas micarta sounds good to me.
+1 :cool:

* ....I know there wouldn't be a high demand for any of this, but I have to believe Spyderco would have no problem selling out a "flash batch" of these. Something for the collectors and high-end users. (What I don't know is how much profit there is in making small batches for spyderco even if they do sell)

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

You could always get a P'kal or two in S30V while waiting for a new Siren or Spyderhawk in the latest, ledeburitic offering from Bohler-Uddeholm, Carpenter, or Takefu as its blade steel.

Also, Byrd has a Crossbill and FRN hawkbill in 8Cr13CrMoV scratching that hawkbill itch on a budget.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My 8Cr13CrMoV days are behind me ;)

thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:My 8Cr13CrMoV days are behind me
Since that's probably just me, bring on the Cru-Wear, Maxamet, CPM-M4, and S110V!

But if Spyderco wants to make 'Em in AUS-8, 8Cr13CrMoV, or AUS-6M, they know where to find me.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Sounds great to me, although I would want some level of corrosion resistance for my normal hawkbill chores.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I never used a Compression lock is because no Salt or Hawkbill (Dodo, Merlin, Tasman, Harpy....) has had it yet, and never had a Reverse S until last year because they weren't available in H1. Those are my 2 favorite Spyderco things. Got the Lil' Matriarch, and love it.

I'd bet I just need a Reverse S in H1, or a Hawkbill shaped folder with compression lock. It's just not been released yet!
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Does anyone have insight into LC200N's SE performance?

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Able Dog wrote:Does anyone have insight into LC200N's SE performance?
I've only had it for 2 months, and it's a combo edge... but so far the serrations on my LC200n Native are solid. Might be my imagination but it seems a little better than H1, harder, better edge retention.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would really love to see the Superhawk return. But this go-around I want to see it also offered up in Spyderedge because I think that's mainly why it didn't go over so well when it was introduced.

As far as "non-Salt Hawkbills" ?? Hey I'm all for more models and it would be all right with me if they brought back the Spyderhawk in one of the newer/better blade steels with a G-10 handle. The more people use Hawkbills as companion blades I believe in due time their popularity will rise.

With many practical uses for Hawkbills particularly in the fishing, seafaring, gardening and landscaping sectors I think the untapped market for these blades is huge.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

for my uses around dirt, plants, and water I prefer them with a bit of Salt to be honest.

part of the reason they're true workhorses for me
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd take a spyderhawk in any steel honestly. Sal has mentioned if he does another Hawkbill it'll be based on the superhawk. I can work with that too if they remove the choil and put more usable edge. I've thought about having my superhawk reground to remove the choil but it would change the whole curvature of the blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:I'd take a spyderhawk in any steel honestly. Sal has mentioned if he does another Hawkbill it'll be based on the superhawk. I can work with that too if they remove the choil and put more usable edge. I've thought about having my superhawk reground to remove the choil but it would change the whole curvature of the blade.
Again I would buy a Spyderedged SUPERHAWK in a New York minute :rolleyes: But the one Non-Salt Hawkbill that I want to return more than just about anything else would be the G-10 Harpy with a newer/better blade steel and the more recent type of G-10 like the stuff they used on the G-10 Ayoob Sprint Run.

If they ever bring back the Spyderhawk even with a Non-Salt blade steel I believe those would sell very fast. But still the G-10 Harpy tops my list at this time second to that would be a Spyderhawk with G-10 scales.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have wanted a PE g-10 harpy for a while. The Tasman has had to be a substitute.

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I definitely think non-salt hawksbills are in demand. I know it interests me greatly. I think as long as these threads keep popping up, it will happen, and there will be no shortage of excitement on the forum.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

ThePeacent wrote:I'd bet I just need a Reverse S in H1, or a Hawkbill shaped folder with compression lock. It's just not been released yet!
Superhawk has a VG-10 blade, carbon-fiber scales, wire pocketclip, and Compression Lock. I wish it did better commercially, but selling people what they need is rarely viable.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Insist, insist and insist. Better yet with some nice pics of our lovely Hawks!