Manix 2 Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Manix 2 Questions

Post by vivi »

I had a Manix 2 XL in the past and sold it. Recently got a blue FRCP CTSBD1 Manix 2. Few questions about the line:

- The FRCP Manix two has a CBBL that I can easily close one handed by sliding one of the lock releases with my thumb. My Manix 2 XL required me to pull back on both lock releases with two fingers. Do the DLC FRCP Manix 2's and Manix 2 XL's in DLC/G10 close with one side or both sides when releasing the lock?

- Regarding the FRCP Manix 2, which of the sprint runs have a combination of excellent edge holding and very good corrosion resistance? Something more like S30V than M4.

- My Manix 2 is pinned. Are all of the lightweight Manix 2's pinned? I thought I saw some with a screw pivot and pinned handles.

- Anyone have experience with CTSBD1 at low edge angles? Any preference for low grit or high grit edges with this steel? I'll be reprofiling the Manix 2 this weekend. Planning to go to about 12 DPS and finish the edge on a DMT fine, which is a bit thicker than normal for me.

- Down the road I may buy a DLC Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL DLC. I'd like to buy after market scales. G10 or Micarta with an anso pattern texture, some sort of dark green or gray color. Any suggestions on where to look? I saw some at bladehq I think.

- Out of every Manix ever made, which is your personal favorite?
Slumblor

Re: Manix 2 Questions

Post by Slumblor »

The Knifecenter exclusive Manix2 LW with CTS-XHP is a great option and my current favorite, I also have to S110V. I'm pretty sure all the LW versions are pinned except for the pivot.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

All M2 lightweight are pinned except pivot, Sounds like you want s110v. Excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance. All the Manix's I've handled required two fingers to close easily. Steve Ketchen Sketchen Scales makes nice manix scales. S110v lightweight is my personal favorite.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cts xhp lw is my favorite
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mattman

Post by mattman »

First run of lwm2 has pinned pivot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've only had one of the Lightweight Manix 2's and it was the S110V version. That knife could also close with just your thumb, but by comparison it wasn't near as easy as a Sage 3. I've had 3 G10 Manix 2's and they can be closed with just your thumb but only with a lot of force. My current custom Manix 2 has the lock spring out of my Lightweight in it, and I can operate it with just my thumb, again not as easily as similarly functioning lock designs but it's doable. Seems reasonable to assume the Lightweight use a lighter spring than the G10 versions.

My favorite without a doubt is the S110V version, and if I didn't have the idea to mod a Manix the way I did I probably would have left the Lightweight alone and kept carrying it. My only complaint with the Lightweight versions is how square the handle edges are, they make some hot spots when doing prolonged hard cutting.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

You need S110V for sure. Great edge retention and also very corrosion resistence. Manix is my favourite knife design. Fit in my hand like no other. I prefer G10 version over FRN. Just personal preference. S110V in G10 is a winner. Liners are skeletonized, is almost as light as PM2 but feels more robust in hand. I use two fingers to unlock, but blade drops free. Its easy and fun to play with. And with Casey Lynch clip is even better for carry.
AFAIK all FRN are pinned, only pivot has screw. G10 Manix is better option for handle customization. All screw construction, easy to change G10 scales.
qazy

Post by qazy »

To not open a new thread. Are Manix 2 S110v and Maxamet LW are production or sprint runs?
Any talks about Maxamet in G10 or FG?
mattman

Post by mattman »

qazy wrote:To not open a new thread. Are Manix 2 S110v and Maxamet LW are production or sprint runs?
Any talks about Maxamet in G10 or FG?
Both are production runs.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I have the dark blue S110V lightweight, and here's what I can tell you from my experience:

I can't close mine with one thumb and I know I'm not alone there, so it can vary. And if S110V's reputation doesn't speak for itself enough, it's hard-wearing and as stainless as it gets without nitrogen. Combined with the strength of the CBBL and the surprisingly low weight despite its generous size, it is my preferred work knife.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It really sounds like you're looking for this...
vivi

Post by vivi »

That might be my next one. I like the handle color too. Something different than black but not as attention grabbing as orange, yellow etc. I've never tried S110V. How does it compare to S30V? Greater edge retention I'm sure, but are there any trade offs?

Have they done any XL sprints?

Here's my blue light weight after some time on my DMT stone. Came with a blunted edge and damaged tip, this is after roughing out a new profile. I like how thin the spine is on these light weights...less metal to remove when re-setting the edge.

After reading the responses I suppose mine is an early model. Current runs seem to have screwed pivots, like the S110V above.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

My S110V does have a screw pivot with pins for the rest of the handle. I'm not sure if it's a universal change that took place for all Manix 2 lightweights, but it seems to be the case for all S110V's.

S110V is definitely a stronger, more wear resistant steel than S30V. In my experience it does everything better performancewise. Longer edge retention, more corrosion resistant, it just plain works better. The drawbacks are that it of course costs a little more and it takes noticeably longer to sharpen, especially to get a really super fine edge. It's the classic trade-off that you face with more wear resistance: you put more work into it, you get more work out of it. I like it for those times where I'm going to be doing a lot of hard work, because I don't want to be slowed by a dull knife or having to stop to sharpen. I think it's fantastic that Spyderco is using it so widely and it really fits with this model. The S110V Manix 2 lightweight is pure, maximized utility.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Vivi wrote:I had a Manix 2 XL in the past and sold it. Recently got a blue FRCP CTSBD1 Manix 2. Few questions about the line:

- The FRCP Manix two has a CBBL that I can easily close one handed by sliding one of the lock releases with my thumb. My Manix 2 XL required me to pull back on both lock releases with two fingers. Do the DLC FRCP Manix 2's and Manix 2 XL's in DLC/G10 close with one side or both sides when releasing the lock?
Both of my G10 XLs (non-DLC and DLC) require pulling back only one side of the lock to close.