Question for Michael Janich

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
harronek

Re: Question for Michael Janich

Post by harronek »

Jazz wrote:
Nice job, Ken, though I'm not a fan of straight lines as opposed a curve for a wharnie. That's just me.
To tell you the truth I have no issue with the curved spine , its just that I was always going to alter this knife into a 2 1/2 inch blade and to do that its easier to start with a straight edge . The blade dimensions and shape at the moment aren't exactly what I want , but this is a transition period where I will use the full length blade for a few weeks so that I have a comparison when I dock the blade to 2 1/2 inch .

Over time I have realized that most of my requirements are meet with a shorter blade , but that is often hard to find with a decent handle size .
Your wise observation of the abilities of a straight edge in an EDC environment is absolutely correct in my opinion .
Also , as soon as Sal hinted that a Hap40 Wharncliff is likely , this VG10 blade was always going to be a guinea pig to see what works best for me before I get my hands on a Hap40 version .

Ken

PS - I know you re-profiled the edge bevel , I've just done mine and the difference is unbelievable in cardboard cutting ability .
The actual edge sharpness has just reminded me about how sharp you can get VG10 , for some reason it is the one steel I can get screaming sharp .
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I look forward to your final product, Ken.

It is an awesome performer with a thinner edge. Mine's still very sharp after 2 weeks of work. I just steel it occasionally to straighten any possible rolling. I've cut a lot of boxes, opened a lot of tape, and cut a lot of banding. Really enjoying it.

Also, I'm really looking forward to the HAP 40.
- best wishes, Jazz.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

harronek wrote: I got bored and seeing as I was always going to do a spine reshape I thought I may as well do it sooner rather than later .
Nice.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
I'm not going to speak for Mike but I will let you know that he's out of the office for IWA. He won't likely be able to reply to this thread until later next week when he's back. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for the heads up Taz
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

WOW, Sal that is what we need next!!! Man that looks great. Awesome design, well balanced. Give me one in the new dome coloration!!
harronek

Post by harronek »

I just did my final mod to this knife blade , and shortened it to 2 1/2 inches to make it officially Kahr length .

I have used and carried a Kahr ( both factory and home made FFG ) quite a lot so the only difference is going to be the straight cutting edge .

Here's a before . ( standard length blade )

After ( 2 1/2 inch )

It's just not as pointy as it was .

Ken
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thanks for the cool discussion. Sorry for the slow response, but I've been in Germany working the IWA trade show for Spyderco and I'm just getting caught up.

I love the Wharncliffe Delica. In fact, it is my new back-pocket knife, replacing my Kahr Arms Delica. Ironically, one of my MBC students asked me about a wharnie Delica about three years ago. I suggested he write a letter to Spyderco, which he did, and I passed on for consideration. At that time, there was no interest. Fortunately, this time, things worked out.

I already have plans to "bob" some Dellica Wharnies for some of my students in Boston and Chicago. It's not hard to do, but if you use a belt grinder, dip and cool the blade frequently to prevent overheating it and ruining the temper.

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be 100% more likely to buy one of these with a straight spine like that. I just like the aesthetics of it more than the rounded spine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Time for me to buy a file and some sand paper I guess. I need one of these in HAP40.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

As I was cutting banding today, I was very impressed with the curve. It helped greatly with the point not poking into the boxes with the blade upside down. Way better than the angular one I used a lot. It does have it's advantages.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Whether rounded spine or straight at least we all agree wharncliffes are awesome :D

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Time for me to buy a file and some sand paper I guess. I need one of these in HAP40.
Dude, you can buy a $30 1x30 belt grinder and get the job done in some park with an extension cord. Beats files any day.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for the tip.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Whether rounded spine or straight at least we all agree wharncliffes are awesome :D
You've got that right, bro.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Whether rounded spine or straight at least we all agree wharncliffes are awesome :D
Here here!

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe