New Delica Wharncliffe-chip in edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyduser0

New Delica Wharncliffe-chip in edge

Post by spyduser0 »

Just got my Wharncliffe Delica and I noticed it has a pretty good chip in the edge near the tip. Am I correct in thinking this is not acceptable for a factory new knife? I sent the dealer an email to hopefully exchange the knife.
OakTree

Re: New Delica Wharncliffe-chip in edge

Post by OakTree »

I'd be pissed. I don't think it's acceptable.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Exchange it. Not acceptable.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Exchange it. Not acceptable.
Is it best to exchange through the dealer?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Could just be the lighting but that first pic makes it look like it has a major burr on the edge at the tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

Evil D wrote:Could just be the lighting but that first pic makes it look like it has a major burr on the edge at the tip.
Yes, you are right. The edge is pretty rough in front of the chip with a burr.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

spyduser0 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Exchange it. Not acceptable.
Is it best to exchange through the dealer?
That is what I would do. Can I ask what dealer you used?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd send it back to the dealer, obviously give them a call first.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If it's brand new, that's not cool at all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

Jazz wrote:If it's brand new, that's not cool at all.
It was brand new out of the box. Knifeworks issued me an RMA to send it in for exchange.
Donut

Post by Donut »

spyduser0 wrote:
Jazz wrote:If it's brand new, that's not cool at all.
It was brand new out of the box. Knifeworks issued me an RMA to send it in for exchange.
That sounds good to me, get a new one. Report back her as to how the next one looks!
Evil D wrote:Could just be the lighting but that first pic makes it look like it has a major burr on the edge at the tip.
It looks more like the microbevel is buffed with a polishing wheel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I find factory edges usually have a burr.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Not good, but if it's going to be used, just sharpen it out. That's tiny. I wouldn't want to spend the time to send it back and wait for another one. I would just sharpen it out. I have sharpened out things like that before in about 20 minutes.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JimP

Post by JimP »

The edge looks like it's been sharpened, consistent shiny micro bevel as opposed to a burr.
harronek

Post by harronek »

David Lowry wrote:Not good, but if it's going to be used, just sharpen it out. That's tiny. I wouldn't want to spend the time to send it back and wait for another one. I would just sharpen it out. I have sharpened out things like that before in about 20 minutes.
I was thinking the same thing , but only if it going to used as a working knife , if its going into a collection then ignor everything I'm about to say .
I've just recieved my own Wharncliff and as Jazz mentioned somewhere else ls here the factory bevel on it is not the best angle and needs to be sorted out before the knifes true potential can be explored .
While reprofiling of the factory bevel I would sort out that chip fairly quickly on my edge pro .

Ken
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts when I open a new knife box. This isn't a knock on Spyderco as I realize mistakes happen, but I see this type of thing on a fairly regular basis from ALL knife companies. No way this should make it in a box and sent out to a customer. I'm not sure I would send it back as others have said because it would be a user first for me, but still unacceptable. I worked in QC for an auto manufacturer for many years. To me, this is equal to sending a car off the assembly line with two flat tires.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

David Lowry wrote:Not good, but if it's going to be used, just sharpen it out. That's tiny. I wouldn't want to spend the time to send it back and wait for another one. I would just sharpen it out. I have sharpened out things like that before in about 20 minutes.
Wouldn't you have to remove a good bit of metal to get the chip out? I already sent it back for exchange as I don't want to have the mess with that on a brand new knife.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

spyduser0 wrote:
Wouldn't you have to remove a good bit of metal to get the chip out? I already sent it back for exchange as I don't want to have the mess with that on a brand new knife.
If it were mine and intended to be a user, I would just use it and allow it to work itself out through repeated sharpenings. I do however think it's unacceptable and totally understand sending it back.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Wrathhog wrote:This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts when I open a new knife box. This isn't a knock on Spyderco as I realize mistakes happen, but I see this type of thing on a fairly regular basis from ALL knife companies. No way this should make it in a box and sent out to a customer. I'm not sure I would send it back as others have said because it would be a user first for me, but still unacceptable. I worked in QC for an auto manufacturer for many years. To me, this is equal to sending a car off the assembly line with two flat tires.
I'm wondering if this was possibly a return that wasn't inspected well enough when it was received back. The edge does kinda looked touched up and that chip seems extremely unlikely on a brand new spyderco. My edges are almost always excellent out of the box.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

It is interesting. Some knives go out with flaws. I have a question. If this knife goes back to the dealer does the dealer send it back to Spyderco? If they do would this become a seconds sale knife with a notch in blade? Or do they just resell it?

If I bought a FRN knife at that price range I would be disappointed it was damaged on the edge, but I would not send it back. I would just use it and then sharpen it out over time. For me FRN knives are just users and I do not have super high expectations for them.