In case it doesn't go without saying, thanks Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: In case it doesn't go without saying, thanks Spyderco.

Post by ZrowsN1s »

PayneTrain wrote: I don't thank Comcast or my bank or Geico or any of these faceless institutions that are clearly profit engines and couldn't give less of a poo about me. But some businesses still have a human aspect to them, and some of them I am truly glad they get up every day and do what they do with a passion for their craft and a pride in delivering it to me, and it makes me happy when I get the opportunity to let them know that. And yes, Spyderco is certainly part of that group. :)
+1
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lets just be honest here....this forum is fanboy central. No doubt about it. We're all here because we love the brand and love their products. No since in beating around that bush. But, the appreciation thing is something you either get or you don't get, and it isn't something that can be explained. If someone said "hey thank you Spyderco for allowing me to buy a Para 2", or "Hey Toyota, thank you for charging me out the wazoo for a Prius" then yeah that's pretty silly but I don't think that was the intention of this thread. Yes Spyderco is a business and yes their goal is to make profit, otherwise they wouldn't survive. But, they have a presence within the knife community that many (most) other brands do not have, and that alone is worth a thanks.

Constantly looking for ways to make their products better, when they could just as easily continue selling their big selling knives without ever changing anything, listening to their customers and making changes based on requests, you don't see that in many companies these days. They didn't have to make changes to the Military, it was just fine the way it was and nobody was complaining about the stop pins but they saw something that could be better and they did it. There are slews of examples just like this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't mind stopping to say it.

Spyderco, Sal, Eric and company: thank you for what you do for me. Thanks for all the crazy steel sprint runs. Thanks for all the weird and experimental models. I see so much stuff out of you that says "that doesn't look useful, but it looks cool" or "that looks very useful, but it doesn't look pretty at all". Thank you for all of those models.

Thanks for listening to Jazz, no matter how crazy his ideas sound. :p Thanks for listening to all of us on some models. Thanks for listening to NONE of us on some models. Thanks for giving me great sharpening products and thanks for giving me great performing kitchen knives.

Too many of my posts are "can we get this" or "how about this" and they mostly end in dealer exclusives, but I'm alright with that.

I bought an Orange Dodo sprint and one year later, I traded it for a S110V Para. I never thought a S110V Para for a reasonable price was possible, but it sure is possible! Thanks for proving the knife world wrong about a lot of things.

I almost said "where is the Baby Goddard Plain Edge that was mis-delivered?" Nah, you've done enough for me. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

EDIT.
Last edited by OakTree on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

:rolleyes:
Never mind.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

OT for a guy who says he doesn't wan't to stir up an argument or be overly cynical... Your comments here might cause others to question the sincerity of that. If you're going to insult, please do so elsewhere.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

ZrowsN1s wrote:OT for a guy who says he doesn't wan't to stir up an argument or be overly cynical... Your comments here might cause others to question the sincerity of that. If you're going to insult, please do so elsewhere.
I deleted it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for that. I'd rather the "thank you" thread not devolve into unpleasantries.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Donut wrote: Thanks for listening to all of us on some models. Thanks for listening to NONE of us on some models.
Great post overall, but I really like this part. I don't know how they do it, but somehow they put their ears to the ground, hear "we want everything!!!," (which isn't possible,) but they seem to walk the line and get things right most of the time.
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Oak Tree,

I think I can see your point of view, but I also think that assumes that all companies are basically the same. We try very hard to do all of the right things for all of the right reasons regardless of what other companies do. we try hard to be a "model" company in all aspects.

I don't think they're thanking us for taking their money. I think they are simply thanking us for listening.

sal
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

sal wrote:Hi Oak Tree,

I think I can see your point of view, but I also think that assumes that all companies are basically the same. We try very hard to do all of the right things for all of the right reasons regardless of what other companies do. we try hard to be a "model" company in all aspects.

I don't think they're thanking us for taking their money. I think they are simply thanking us for listening.

sal
Hi Sal,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate Spyderco's quality and variety. I also appreciate the fact that you obviously care about your end-users. I have 4 Spyderco knives and I love them all.

Thanks again.