In case it doesn't go without saying, thanks Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

In case it doesn't go without saying, thanks Spyderco.

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm a relatively new fan of Spyderco compared to other forum members, about 2 years now. 1 since I joined the forum. In the last year I have made some critical remarks about designs, lock types, and a few particular models. I haven't always done so with the consideration of the time and effort that goes into those designs. I can only imagine what it's like to put hours of your life into something only to have it casually dismissed by someone who spent no time at all on it. I always hoped it went with out saying, but in case it doesn't, I say thank you to Sal, Eric, Michael Janich, and the rest of the spyderco family. You guys, your product, your designs, and your production teams are the best in the business. Even though I am occasionally critical, please know that your standard, has become the standard by which I judge all other knife companies. :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
OakTree

Re: In case it doesn't go without saying, thanks Spyderco.

Post by OakTree »

Not to be overly cynical, but you do realize that Spyderco is a "for profit" organization, right? It's a business (with fierce competition). Spyderco customers pay good money for Spyderco products.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

From the limited time I have spent on this fourm I noticed early on that Spyderco values the input from the members here. Just ask Jazz. I have gotten a response from Sal on a thread I responded to so they do indeed notice and care. It's nice to see in today's corporate world there's a CEO that takes customer service seriously. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zrows,

Understand. We always like to hear, good or bad. Thanx for taking the time.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm quite critical too, I think, but I agree. Nobody or their knives quite measure up to Spyderco. They make something for everyone, and for every country! They are right on top of laws, etc.

They make knives I love, so I don't need to like them all (mostly it's liner locks I whine about). Indeed, thanks Sal, Gail, Eric, Mike, Kristi, Joyce, the proto guy :D, and the rest if the crew. You're awesome.

Seriously, I'm using he perfect work knife at work. Really? :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

OakTree wrote:Not to be overly cynical, but you do realize that Spyderco is a "for profit" organization, right? It's a business (with fierce competition). Spyderco customers pay good money for Spyderco products.
So what's your point? Are you saying that there's something wrong with thanking a manufacturer for providing us products that we enjoy?

I'll also add my heartfelt thanks to Sal & crew! Well done folks!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
OakTree wrote:Not to be overly cynical, but you do realize that Spyderco is a "for profit" organization, right? It's a business (with fierce competition). Spyderco customers pay good money for Spyderco products.
So what's your point? Are you saying that there's something wrong with thanking a manufacturer for providing us products that we enjoy?

I'll also add my heartfelt thanks to Sal & crew! Well done folks!!
I think I get what you mean OT. They should be thanking us for buying their knives right, not the other way around? ;) I look at it like this, if Spyderco packed up shop tomorrow and didn't make knives anymore, I don't know who would fill their shoes in my life. I feel like before Spyderco, I used to pay twice as much for half the quality from other companies. I can't name a single company that has both the variety of high quality steels, variety of high quality handles, the variety of lock types, the variety of original functional designs and innovations, and the quality of production that Spyderco has. When you factor in the price of these quality knives the separation from the competition gets even wider. They represent a value that is unmatched in the industry and make designs that are irreplaceable to me; the Yojimbo, the Military, the Delica, the Dragonfly, the compression lock, the round hole on the blade, pocket clips.... Would these exist without Sal, Eric, MJ, and the others? Probably not, and my EDC collection would be the worse for it. So yes, even though I pay them for their talents, I say thank you, and I do so because their talents are unique and valued by me, and I would certainly miss them if they were no longer making my favorite knives.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

I think that express our appreciation for those that support us. And we try to reciprocate with product value, variety and customer service.

sal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It's all about the relationship between the company and the end line users (us). With Spyderco, there is mutual respect. This is not a widespread condition, and therefore worthy of celebration.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Sharp Guy wrote:So what's your point? Are you saying that there's something wrong with thanking a manufacturer for providing us products that we enjoy?
There's nothing wrong with it at all. I just find it a bit over the top to be thanking a business for selling you their product.
Last edited by OakTree on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Jazz wrote:Seriously, I'm using he perfect work knife at work. Really? :cool:
Is it the Wharncliffe Delica?
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Ive been buying Spyderco knives for a while, since about 1990 I think. I dont like every model but like a lot and have my favourites. I also own many other brands but Spyderco is my favourite.

I dont think it is wrong to appreciate what a manufacturer is doing in all aspects in my opinion.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

OakTree wrote:
Jazz wrote: Is it the Wharncliffe Delica?
Yes, it is.

We're not thanking them for taking our money. We're thanking them for doing what they do, and how they do it, for this forum where we can talk about it, for cool designs, quality. How is that weird, bro? If you just read, the owner of the company just thanked all of us too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

How about: we're thanking them for actually being worth what we pay for them. In this world, unfortunately, that's very rare.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Jazz wrote:How is that weird, bro? If you just read, the owner of the company just thanked all of us too.
I don't want to stir up an argument. It is clear that everyone here is very sensitive and protective of the brand. I love my Spyderco knives too.
I'm just trying to imagine people thanking Toyota for making cars, thanking the management of Samsung for making electronic devices, or thanking Nestle for their delicious confectionery, and it just seems slightly weird to me. That's all.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I suppose someone, who was so into knives that they thanked the designers and producers of their favorite knives for making them, might seem weird to your average Joe. Honestly I'm finding it a little weird to explain being a knife fan to a member of a knife forum, but you are new so I'll cut you some slack ;)

Thanks again to Sal and Crew, no one treats their ELU's better. :spyder:

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bill1170 wrote:It's all about the relationship between the company and the end line users (us). With Spyderco, there is mutual respect. This is not a widespread condition, and therefore worthy of celebration.
+1
Nate

Post by Nate »

OakTree wrote: I don't want to stir up an argument. It is clear that everyone here is very sensitive and protective of the brand. I love my Spyderco knives too.
I'm just trying to imagine people thanking Toyota for making cars, thanking the management of Samsung for making electronic devices, or thanking Nestle for their delicious confectionery, and it just seems slightly weird to me. That's all.
Funny, I get your point, but now that you mention it I am pretty grateful for our string of Toyota vehicles and all of my Samsung electronics! Never had a huge sweet tooth though. :p
:spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

OakTree wrote: I don't want to stir up an argument. It is clear that everyone here is very sensitive and protective of the brand. I love my Spyderco knives too.
Why not? I'm thankful to a lot of companies, stores, restaurants, even my auto mechanic for doing and making things for me so that I don't have to do them myself, if I even can! For a lot of the businesses with which I do business, paying them a fair price in abstract currency is not enough to let them know I'm grateful they are here doing what they do in the manner in which they are doing it. Sure, sometimes I say "thanks" just out of habit as I'm pocketing my wallet and grabbing my goods, but quite often it's a firm "thank you" said through a genuine smile complete with eye contact to really try and let my realtor or my waitress know I'm glad they came to work today to do these things for me.

I don't think you're inciting an argument, but I think you bring up a good point. It does seem strange at first to thank someone for taking your money and giving you something in return. It should be a fair trade, nothing else owed, and you shouldn't feel indebted. And for many transactions, it is that cold and sterile. I don't thank Comcast or my bank or Geico or any of these faceless institutions that are clearly profit engines and couldn't give less of a poo about me. But some businesses still have a human aspect to them, and some of them I am truly glad they get up every day and do what they do with a passion for their craft and a pride in delivering it to me, and it makes me happy when I get the opportunity to let them know that. And yes, Spyderco is certainly part of that group. :)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Well said sir!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!