Delica 4 fake or old stock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
freebird610

Re: Delica 4 fake or old stock?

Post by freebird610 »

OakTree wrote:
freebird610 wrote:You need to assemble the knife entirely other than the lock bar. You put the lockbar in last. You insert the lockbar and then press the d-bolt through. You can find some videos on youtube showing this method. Its actually fairly easy if you do it this way.
I watched a couple of videos (including Nick Shabazz's vid) but still managed to mess up the spacer alignment. Do you have a link to the recommended reassembly method?
That's where you went wrong haha. His video is lacking in the reassembly department for sure. I like his videos but the video you watched is NOT the way to go. I haven't watched this video in its entirety due to being at work but this is the method I use. You completely assemble the knife except for the lockbar and then insert it like this. This guy uses a role of tape while I just usually use my ring finger but whatever works for you. This method makes it very easy to align the backspacer correctly because you don't have the spring tension due to the lockbar pressing on it. When you insert the lockbar you have to make sure it is fully in the locking grove on the blade in order for it to work right. Start you d-bolt prior to inserting the lock bar so all you have to do is press it through when you get the holes lined up. Hope this helps.
https://youtu.be/PQqUFxe5leA&t=226s
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

OakTree wrote:I watched a couple of videos (including Nick Shabazz's vid) but still managed to mess up the spacer alignment. Do you have a link to the recommended reassembly method?
Installation of the lockbar starts at about the 21:30 mark.

https://youtu.be/MERI8A17jjM
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
OakTree wrote:I watched a couple of videos (including Nick Shabazz's vid) but still managed to mess up the spacer alignment. Do you have a link to the recommended reassembly method?
Installation of the lockbar starts at about the 21:30 mark.

https://youtu.be/MERI8A17jjM
This is the same method I'm talking about as well. Much simpler and you don't mess up the backspacer.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

JT wrote:I'd remove some of the grease to prevent lint issues, if that white/gray goo is grease. A little goes a long way. And Imho, you don't need lubricant right on that spot.
That's Frog Lube. I stuck some in there with a toothpick after practicing my whetstone sharpening and getting the entire knife soaked when rinsing it. I shined a flashlight in there to take the picture and realized there was waaay to much lube.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

OakTree wrote:
David Lowry wrote:Those pics are the reasons Spyderco doesn't want people taking them apart. You have to do it in a specific order, if you don't it ends up like yours.

Now, imagine the amount of people that have taken stuff apart and not properly reassembled it and then sold it to someone else.
You say this like I connected a high voltage power line to a drinking fountain, or something. I'm aware of this issue and that I caused it. I plan to remedy this but I haven't gotten around to it. Freebird has suggested a method I should look up, and I will.
I wasn't suggesting that you did a super horrible thing. Just stating a point.

It is a perfect example of why they don't want people taking stuff apart if they don't know how to put it back together.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My FFG Brown Delica 4 has the same blade etch as the one in question.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

OakTree wrote:
spyduser0 wrote:Wow lol. I bought a used Endura once that had the backspace tabs not engaged with the scales.
I had great trouble reassembling my Delica. Aligning all the pins while trying to prevent the spring bar from jumping out of place is very hard.
I thought I managed but now I see that one of the spacer tabs is not seated properly:

Is this bad?
The best way I have found is to assemble the whole knife except for the lock bar and lock bar d pin. Then put the lock bar in and push it down while sliding the pin in.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

freebird610 wrote:
OakTree wrote:
spyduser0 wrote:Wow lol. I bought a used Endura once that had the backspace tabs not engaged with the scales.
I had great trouble reassembling my Delica. Aligning all the pins while trying to prevent the spring bar from jumping out of place is very hard.
I thought I managed but now I see that one of the spacer tabs is not seated properly:

Is this bad?
You need to assemble the knife entirely other than the lock bar. You put the lockbar in last. You insert the lockbar and then press the d-bolt through. You can find some videos on youtube showing this method. Its actually fairly easy if you do it this way.
Should have read more in the thread. This method is the best way.