Delica 4 fake or old stock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
freebird610

Delica 4 fake or old stock?

Post by freebird610 »

I recently purchased this Delica 4 from someone second hand. Upon receiving it I began to question it authenticity. I have several other Delica 4's and this one is slightly different. The ones I have are recent production. I believe this one is older. I'm wondering if this is just a slightly older one and they had some slight differences or if it is a fake. The knife I purchased had the scales swapped so I can't use that to help me make a deduction. The one on the left in the photos I am certain is authentic and looks just like the others I own. The one on the right is the one I am concerned about. For starters the Spyder logo is slightly different. The logo on the right one(the one in question) has a slightly larger mouth. Also the lazer etching of Spyderco VG-10 is also different. The lockbar and lockbar cutout in the blade is also a little different. Finally on the backside the Seki-City Japan logo is also etched differently. Also the jimping on the one in question is slightly softer. You can kinda tell in the photo. I'm thinking these are just slight differences because it is a little older but wanted to rule out the possibility of a fake. Thanks for any help guys.
jjj.jpg
kkkk.jpg
lll.jpg
mmm.jpg
nnn.jpg
SpyderNut

Re: Delica 4 fake or old stock?

Post by SpyderNut »

I see what you mean regarding the differences between the two blades and the lock bars. Although I tend to agree with your speculations, the only definitive answer can come directly from Spyderco regarding authenticity. I'd send them in and see what answers they can provide.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Yeah I was trying to avoid going through the hassle of sending it in. Maybe someone from Spyderco or a forum member who knows more can chime in. I think its legit due to little things like the finish on the blade and the liners and hardware appear to all be identical. The seller would accept it back for refund if I wanted. Just hate to send it back if its legit. I got a good deal on it if its real.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have no desire to take any of mine apart, but can tell you that, with the knife closed, the lock notches in the blades of my CC#'d ZDP-189 and pink Sprint Run VG-10 Delica 4's both look like the one on the right. For that reason, I'd vote for it being authentic.

As a side note, I think returning a knife after you've voided the warranty would be very bad form.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

The Deacon wrote:Have no desire to take any of mine apart, but can tell you that, with the knife closed, the lock notches in the blades of my CC#'d ZDP-189 and pink Sprint Run VG-10 Delica 4's both look like the one on the right. For that reason, I'd vote for it being authentic.

As a side note, I think returning a knife after you've voided the warranty would be very bad form.
Thanks for looking. Does the logo etching look like this one as well? The knife had already been disassembled and the scales swapped thus the warranty was already voided. In fact the person I bought it from botched the reassembly pretty good so that is why I took it apart in the first place to fix it. Actually made me realize why Spyderco discourages disassembly. He had swapped the liners onto the wrong side. Installed the backspacer incorrectly and got the lockbar d-bolt mixed up.
Last edited by freebird610 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

The engraving is the old style and authentic. Pretty sure both are real. How did he manage to mess up reassembly?
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

spyduser0 wrote:The engraving is the old style and authentic. Pretty sure both are real. How did he manage to mess up reassembly?
He got the liner mixed up and switched sides. This probably wouldn't affect function but I switched them back. He managed to pin the little tabs on the backspacer between the scales instead of fitting them in their little slots. He got the lock-bar d-bolt mixed up with one of the backspacer d-bolts. The lock-bar d-bolt is a little shorter and meant specifically for the lockbar. Made me wonder what kind of messes the warranty crew gets. ha
spyduser0

Post by spyduser0 »

freebird610 wrote:
spyduser0 wrote:The engraving is the old style and authentic. Pretty sure both are real. How did he manage to mess up reassembly?
He got the liner mixed up and switched sides. This probably wouldn't affect function but I switched them back. He managed to pin the little tabs on the backspacer between the scales instead of fitting them in their little slots. He got the lock-bar d-bolt mixed up with one of the backspacer d-bolts. The lock-bar d-bolt is a little shorter and meant specifically for the lockbar. Made me wonder what kind of messes the warranty crew gets. ha
Wow lol. I bought a used Endura once that had the backspace tabs not engaged with the scales.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

The fact that you can see the typical VG-10 "waves" in the steel on the knife is question indicates that it's probably authentic. It's unlikely that a counterfeiter would use VG-10, and I've never seen another steel exhibit that wavy quality.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

ejames13 wrote:The fact that you can see the typical VG-10 "waves" in the steel on the knife is question indicates that it's probably authentic. It's unlikely that a counterfeiter would use VG-10, and I've never seen another steel exhibit that wavy quality.
Not sure what you mean by the waves but the blade finish is identical. That is what had me leaning towards its authenticity.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

spyduser0 wrote:Wow lol. I bought a used Endura once that had the backspace tabs not engaged with the scales.
I had great trouble reassembling my Delica. Aligning all the pins while trying to prevent the spring bar from jumping out of place is very hard.
I thought I managed but now I see that one of the spacer tabs is not seated properly:

Is this bad?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

OakTree wrote:
spyduser0 wrote:Wow lol. I bought a used Endura once that had the backspace tabs not engaged with the scales.
I had great trouble reassembling my Delica. Aligning all the pins while trying to prevent the spring bar from jumping out of place is very hard.
I thought I managed but now I see that one of the spacer tabs is not seated properly:

Is this bad?
Those pics are the reasons Spyderco doesn't want people taking them apart. You have to do it in a specific order, if you don't it ends up like yours.

Now, imagine the amount of people that have taken stuff apart and not properly reassembled it and then sold it to someone else.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

OakTree wrote:

Is this bad?
You need to assemble the knife entirely other than the lock bar. You put the lockbar in last. You insert the lockbar and then press the d-bolt through. You can find some videos on youtube showing this method. Its actually fairly easy if you do it this way.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

double tap
Last edited by The Deacon on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

freebird610 wrote:Thanks for looking. Does the logo etching look like this one as well?
Tang markings are stamped on both of mine. Pink VG-10 one in the same font and size as the one you're worried about. Green ZDP one in a slightly larger, more widely spaced font. When they use to stamp them dies would eventually wear out and their replacements were not always exactly the same.
As for the :spyder: logos, I'd describe both as very shallow etching in a series of dark horizontal lines separated by steel lines thinner than the width of a hair.
Paul
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

The Deacon wrote:
freebird610 wrote:Thanks for looking. Does the logo etching look like this one as well?
Tang markings are stamped on both of mine. Pink VG-10 one in the same font and size as the one you're worried about. Green ZDP one in a slightly larger, more widely spaced font. When they use to stamp them dies would eventually wear out and their replacements were not always exactly the same.
As for the :spyder: logos, I'd describe both as very shallow etching in a series of dark horizontal lines separated by steel lines thinner than the width of a hair.
Does the size of the Spydie mouth look like any of yours? Its a little larger than the other pictured and any others that I own.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

David Lowry wrote:Those pics are the reasons Spyderco doesn't want people taking them apart. You have to do it in a specific order, if you don't it ends up like yours.

Now, imagine the amount of people that have taken stuff apart and not properly reassembled it and then sold it to someone else.
You say this like I connected a high voltage power line to a drinking fountain, or something. I'm aware of this issue and that I caused it. I plan to remedy this but I haven't gotten around to it. Freebird has suggested a method I should look up, and I will.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

freebird610 wrote:You need to assemble the knife entirely other than the lock bar. You put the lockbar in last. You insert the lockbar and then press the d-bolt through. You can find some videos on youtube showing this method. Its actually fairly easy if you do it this way.
I watched a couple of videos (including Nick Shabazz's vid) but still managed to mess up the spacer alignment. Do you have a link to the recommended reassembly method?
JT

Post by JT »

The Deacon wrote:the lock notches in the blades of my CC#'d ZDP-189 and pink Sprint Run VG-10 Delica 4's both look like the one on the right. For that reason, I'd vote for it being authentic.
same here, both my ZDP ones, one old original sprint with the light blue scales, and the "modern" with the brg scales.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
JT

Post by JT »

OakTree wrote:
Is this bad?
I'd remove some of the grease to prevent lint issues, if that white/gray goo is grease. A little goes a long way. And Imho, you don't need lubricant right on that spot.

Can't help with the assembly though, it's been a while since I took mine apart.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.