More Cruwear?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jssaylor2007

More Cruwear?

Post by jssaylor2007 »

I love my PM2 in Cruwear, so much so that I am sad I only bought 1. My question to Sal would be are there any Cruwear sprints planned for the future in anything not a Manix, and my question to the board would be can you guys recommend another steel that performs similarly to Cruwear?

Thanks for any replies.
attila

Re: More Cruwear?

Post by attila »

I've been enamored with Z-wear, the ZAPP iteration of CPM Cruwear, for a while now, and I'd like to see more as well.

Not only would I like to see more used, I'd like it to be run at higher hardnesses than the standard 59 HRC that VG-10 and S30V are typically available in. Of course, I don't know what Spyderco treats their Cruwear to, but Cruwear can take a very high hardness before getting too brittle. Just think about it as compared to M4. If CPM M4 can be run at 62 or more HRC and CPM Cruwear is tougher at all hardnesses, then it should be able to withstand higher HRCs as well. The Z-wear I use is at 61 HRC, and at that hardness, it still tends to roll instead of chipping, indicating that the hardness/toughness balance has more to offer.

So, to wrap this long-winded response up, yes, I agree. More CPM Cruwear in Spyderco knives would be great!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

Have you looked into Maxamet?
:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Cruwear and Maxamet are quite different.

I would love more models in Cruwear.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Cruwear and Maxamet are quite different.

I would love more models in Cruwear.
How does Cruwear compare to M4? I use and enjoy both but I am not a heavy user and I wonder from the standpoint of their actual composition. That part is mind boggling to me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My experience is that M4 is less corrosion resistant but more wear resistant. They are both tough steels and I have had no issues with either in that respect. I like Cruwear because it is surprisingly stain resistant, a joy to sharpen, holds an edge similar to say S30V or XHP and has proven tough enough for yard and garden work. M4 is probably to most people the higher performing steel of the two but there is something amazing about the balance that Cruwear achieves.

Cruwear has more chromium and less carbon which makes it more stainless.

M4 has more of everything else. It has more carbon, tungsten, vanadium and molybdenum than Cruwear so it is more wear resistant.

That is really simplifying it though. Maybe somebody will chime in with more detail than that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thank you both. I think that I am slowly getting it. :)
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
FDE

Post by FDE »

Cruwear has the perfect balance of stain resistance, edge retention, ease of sharpening, and toughness for my uses. For a long time CPM M4 had been my favorite steel until my first opportunity to extensively use Cruwear (PM2). While not totally stainless, Cruwear in my experience has been much more so than M4. The best part is it does so while still retaining many of the qualities I like so much about M4. So YES please more Cruwear!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Yes please! :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would love a gray G10 Cruwear Native or PM3 or ... :cool:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Would love to see another release of the Military Cruwear with the CQI changes that are on the newer Military releases; maybe set this one apart with the darker gray G10 scales?!?!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

yes! one of my favorite steels.
yo2 in cruwear please:)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I would definitely add more CruWear to my collection if it was available... in fact, I think I can hear the Manix exclusive calling my name.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

A Military in Cruwear with SE would definitely be a dream come true..
Guess nothing has yet been made in Cruwear with SE but I think it would work quite nice. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I almost feel like Cruwear could hold a permanent place in the Golden lineup. I think it would be cool, for example, to be able to choose s110v, s30v or cruwear on regular production models according to your needs and tastes. For my uses, I would choose cruwear over s110v in every model other than knives I was planning to take on the kayak.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Surfingringo wrote:I almost feel like Cruwear could hold a permanent place in the Golden lineup. I think it would be cool, for example, to be able to choose s110v, s30v or cruwear on regular production models according to your needs and tastes. For my uses, I would choose cruwear over s110v in every model other than knives I was planning to take on the kayak.
That would be brilliant! I'd get every model I use in Cruwear version!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Cruwear is my all time favorite steel.Almost perfect balance of properties; toughness, wear resistence, ease of sharpening and it's quite stain resistant.
I wish they release a Cruwear Millie with CF handle.Sprint run please, no exclusive.

Marius
Last edited by elena86 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Cruwear is great for a hard use knife.

I'd love to see a Bushcraft or some other heavy fixed blade (I know the Bushcraft is a collaborative so it probably won't get a sprint) sprinted in Cruwear.
Mr.B.

Post by Mr.B. »

How about the Temperance 2 for a fixed blade in Cruwear?