The Iconic Spyderco Hole Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jonathanp8219

The Iconic Spyderco Hole Question

Post by Jonathanp8219 »

Has anyone tried to make the edges of the hole a bit smoother without effecting the knife's ability to open? It doesn't hurt to open a spyderco with one hand, but I don't like the way the edges feel on my skin. Most of the time when I go to open it my brain says "Time for my thumb to press againt those edges". Again, not a big deal but with the amount of times I open and close it during the day I would like to make it a bit more comfortable.

Thank you for your support

Jonathan
Arlington, VA
SG89

Re: The Iconic Spyderco Hole Question

Post by SG89 »

Sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I used one of the corner sides on a fine sharpmaker rod to remove a small burr from an opening hole and it worked out great.
I suppose you could use it all around the hole to break the edge and smooth it out ;)
Perhaps start out with a medium grit and smooth it out with a fine and/or ultra fine.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Just grow a callous and move on with your life. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Jonathanp8219

Post by Jonathanp8219 »

Copy that blue leader. Thank you for the input I'll get some sandpaper from Home Depot.

Looking through the Spyderco Catalog, what was the reason for the change in blade shape on the Spyderco Native 5's? They got rid of their iconic hump for their light weight S30VN designs
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jonathanp8219 wrote:Copy that blue leader. Thank you for the input I'll get some sandpaper from Home Depot.

Looking through the Spyderco Catalog, what was the reason for the change in blade shape on the Spyderco Native 5's? They got rid of their iconic hump for their light weight S30VN designs
Not sure what you mean. No version of the Native ever had a hump. The main change was the move to a full flat grind and elimination of the swedge grind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

I always thought that the "sharp" edge on the Spydie hole was there to facilitate a better contact for the thumb. Anyway I think it helps, however I've been wrong before.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I like my Spyderholes to have crisp edges...better purchase for more positive deployment...

I've heard of ones that were so sharp they cut thumbs...I've never owned one as such.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've used one of those "deburring" tools out of my reloading kit to slightly chamfer the edges of some of my Spyderholes that I thought had a bit of sharp edge. Then I take a conical shaped wooden dowel type rod with some very fine Silicon Carbide sandpaper to smooth even more. I know there are probably better ways of doing it but that procedure has worked fine for me.

Now when I still worked in a machine shop lab there were certain boron coated end mills that would do an excellent finish job on Spyderholes that had a bit of a rough corner. Because I feel that they have to feel comfortable in order to make the function of the Spyderhole more proficient. Interesting Thread.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just roll up some real fine sandparer and twirl it around. Don't get fancy. Easy to do. Try a little before you continue.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I prefer my holes to have a nice crisp edge, much better traction that way. Be careful smoothing the edge, it's easy to accidentally scratch the side of the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jonathanp,

Welcome to our forum.

Don't make them too smooth or your thumb may slip, especially when wet. Little by little.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love them sharper, too. More secure grip.
- best wishes, Jazz.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Easier to flick.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
zozo

Post by zozo »

My Sage 5 is my first with a too-sharp spyderhole. A couple minutes with the medium and fine sharpmaker rods did the trick, but I did slip and make a scratch down the side of the blade with the fine rod. Probably wouldn't notice it if I weren't looking for it, but it'll probably drive me a little nuts until it gets some friends from regular use.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Jonathanp8219 wrote:Has anyone tried to make the edges of the hole a bit smoother without effecting the knife's ability to open? It doesn't hurt to open a spyderco with one hand, but I don't like the way the edges feel on my skin. Most of the time when I go to open it my brain says "Time for my thumb to press againt those edges". Again, not a big deal but with the amount of times I open and close it during the day I would like to make it a bit more comfortable.

Thank you for your support

Jonathan
Arlington, VA
Welcome aboard, Jonathan. Nice to have you here. :) I've successfully used a 1/2" or 5/8" 82 degree countersink to lightly smooth out the rough edges on the Round Hole and also on the lanyard tubing on several of my knives. Basically, just insert the countersink in the hole and then commence spinning the countersink slowly between your index finger and thumb. Check your progress often and then repeat the process for the opposite side of the blade. This method also prevents accidental scratches to your blade. Here's a link to one of my favorite countersinks: https://m.acehardware.com/product/index ... 55614930c9

Take care,
Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I have.
I found a dremel bit that is a cotton/cloth wheel that is 3 time as thick as the blade and just fits the hole of my Dragonfly (that was quite sharp). I placed a little bit of polishing compound on the wheel and attached it to my drill. Make sure to have a good grip on the handle of the blade and the drill on a low clutch setting as to not allow it to spin out of control. I ran it on there for a while moving it a little side to side and twisting a little to get the edges and it turned out perfect. I ended up with a nice and smooth Spydie hole and a little bling with it being polished to a nice smooth finish. My other knives (and most recently the Para3) didn't come as sharp but I have been thinking of doing the same to get the inside of the hole polished and shined up. I just haven't found the right size buffing wheel yet, as the PM2 and Para3 are larger. I figured that using a wheel of similar size to the Spydie hole will help keep from making the round hole oblong.

Derek
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Taiwan and some Japan made models use to have a very sharp edge on Spydie hole. Sometimes I used sand paper. My GB2 used to scraped pieces of my nail for a day or two. Then it smooths a bit by using it;) I agree that round edge is not good either. It slips. IMHO knives from Golden are spot on. Not too sharp, but very good purchase for opening.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Daknight,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Spydersense wrote:Just grow a callous and move on with your life. :)
Yep, worked for me :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"