Does anyone else struggle with rotating?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Re: Does anyone else struggle with rotating?

Post by Able Dog »

I like to switch it up with what I carry. Larger knives that I carry are just for fun and pride of ownership. The Delica that I always carry is usually more than adequate.

With the various social media hashtags about #manixmonday, #tantotuesday, and so on it makes switching up knives more like a game.

But if I'm in a mood to carry my Yojimbo 2 all week those hashtags turn into #michaeljanichmonday, #yojimbo2uesday, and #wharncliffewednesday.

Joking aside, I go back and forth between rotating or just carrying what I love.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I rotate my right front pocket knife every so often. Might be 2 months might be a week. My spyderhawk is always with me no rotation there. Just depends how I feel.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I go several months with the same knife. I mostly carry a ParaMil. I will rotate to my Pacific Salt if I have yard, construction or pool work. I once cut open a bag of oxidizer for the pool and the S30V got burnt brown from the stuff. It did clean up with Flitz. The H1 does not seem to be stained by pool chemicals.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Personally I've noticed my "rotating" is slowing down as the years go by. I think Im just learning what it is I actually like and is right for my use. I guess thats what I set out to do when this whole thing started; find the perfect knife... That said, I'll never be a "one knife guy"
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I have what is probably a pathological affinity for variety, though somehow far short of fear of commitment. I love carrying a different knife every day whether or not I have a reason to. Sure, sometimes I'm too lazy to open the box to grab a new one in the morning, and I'm certainly not immune to the honeymoon phase of a new knife, but I have enough knives to carry a different one every day of the month. I can't let them languish feeling neglected. To use your knife is to love your knife!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I let natural selection determine my rotation. I have three usage niches: general edc, formal/small, fixed.

I've got something in each role and if something attractive piques my interest, I'll get it and make comparisons during the brief overlap period. The 'loser' is set free and the winner remains. There's still significant overlap between general and formal options in terms of functionality because of my tastes and my original requirement of being a One Knife Only person, so I still have a 50/50 choice most of the time. Keeps the sunk costs limited.

Currently: GB2 / Viper DAN2 / Bradley Bowie
Former: PM2, Techno, Positron, 940-1
Future options: Hanan, Kizer Feist