Urban K390 in stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Urban K390 in stock

Post by sal »

Hi Cobra,

The Cosmopolitan was designed to be a Slipit with a 2,75" blade which would put it between the Urban and the UK. This was in my mind when I designed the SpyDK as the Cosmopolitan could be a possible future model. I know it's just a small difference, but sometimes that small difference makes a difference to some. This would give us the UK at 3.0", the Cosmo at 2.75", the Urban at 2.5" and the Squeak at 2.0" I don't know if a 2.25" blade Slipit would be viable, the Cosmo was the test bed for that concept.

Then we learned that the current Urban was longer than 2.5" (2.65") which was my bad for not catching. The difference between the current Urban and Cosmo wasn't great enough for a new model. Future Urban's will be made to meet the 2.5" blade length requirement and then we'll introduce the Cosmopolitan at 2.75" as a new model to test the 1/4" blade size difference.

Hope that makes sense.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice review of the knife and K390 steel...

https://youtu.be/PDX_Z3Ih7eU
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It does make sense, thanks Sal. It also tells me that I need to load up on the Urban's that are currently available ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Liquid Cobra wrote:It does make sense, thanks Sal. It also tells me that I need to load up on the Urban's that are currently available ;)
My thoughts as well. :p

I am very pleasantly surprised with the Urban. This is my first full size slip it (only other was a Roadie). I really like the FRN's texture. It seems just slightly larger all around than a DF2 when closed, yet adds quite a bit of additional blade length, which I like. Very nice hand grip too! Love the color and the exceptional blade steel (I have the Mule too, so knew about K390's edge retention properties).

And the price of this model makes it an exceptional value when compared to the DF2!

Nice work on this Sprint!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If this knife had a lock back version it would be truly awesome! I can't wait till mine arrives. It is a killer value and may be the best slipit yet.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Anyone seen these making it (back) to Europe?
---------
Tony S
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I can tell you once my order arrives. Sure as **** would have been a shorter trip from Italy to Germany without a stop in the US.
But I will never ever again order from the German distributor of spyderco knives. Besides, they usually don't get the sprint runs anyways... and that is not even mentioning all their knives carrying catalog prices... different topic though...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Of the current Italy models, I'd say the roadie would be the one to interest me. *for k390 upgrade
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Well I cut up a whole dumpster worth of cardboard with my Urban today and it still shaves hair off my arm. So far very impressed with this little guy and k390 looks to be very promising.
Josh
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

An Urban under 2.5" with a specialty "super" steel would be fantastic.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

murphjd25 wrote:Well I cut up a whole dumpster worth of cardboard with my Urban today and it still shaves hair off my arm. So far very impressed with this little guy and k390 looks to be very promising.
After reading this I will now be sleepless until mine arrives in the mail.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
animportant

Post by animportant »

I really can't believe how much I absolutely love the urban. Along with k390 this is the perfect small second knife with great ergonomics! In my case I probably won't have to sharpen k390 for years, maybe never! Love it!

Forgot to mention... honestly, thank you Sal, Eric, and Co. for allowing us to get our hands on k390 in an ergonomic package for as little money as this knife is.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Ok, you enablers, you got me. Urban ordered.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I just ordered one too. I could only resist so long.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

You guys need to stop.. My finger is on the trigger and I am about to press confirm order... STOP!!!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

:D Just do it!
Josh
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

mrtodd777 wrote:You guys need to stop.. My finger is on the trigger and I am about to press confirm order... STOP!!!
It's your first chance to try k390 unless you have the mule. It sounds good and the price is very reasonable. With shipping it was less than $70. How can you beat that?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

murphjd25 wrote::D Just do it!
You'll thank us. Trust me on this.

Ken
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

+1 do it, if you weren't able to snag the EM pingo it might be a while before a smaller less expensive piece comes a long.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Nate

Post by Nate »

animportant wrote:I really can't believe how much I absolutely love the urban. Along with k390 this is the perfect small second knife with great ergonomics!...
+1

I had the same sort of reaction when I picked up the standard production version last year. Just a great little blade, love how "snappy" the action is on it, with that satisfying *click click* sound. Didn't take me long to cave on this sprint as well.
:spyder: