Urban K390 in stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Urban K390 in stock

Post by elena86 »

Cujobob wrote:Except for the sharp spine, I love this knife. It's a Dragonfly replacement, IMO. The steel does patina quickly, I find, but so long as it doesn't rust I don't care. The ergos are fantastic for such a small knife, the clip is one of the best, the scales are nicely made and look good (but might be slightly more likely to slip versus the bi directional texturing on the japanese FRN spydies), and the jimping works well yet isn't uncomfortable at all. If you like a traditional pocket knife or knives the size of the Dragonfly, I would absolutely pick one up.
What do you mean by "patina quickly" ? I like my blades clean and I did mine a Tuff Glide treatement.I hope it helps keep patina away...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

elena86 wrote: What do you mean by "patina quickly" ? I like my blades clean and I did mine a Tuff Glide treatement.I hope it helps keep patina away...
K390 will start to form a patina almost immediately after cutting anything acidic. A few hours in vinegar turned mine essentially black. That's VERY fast. I think Tuff Glide / Tuff Cloth etc will keep yours shiny (but it might need more frequent application than many other steels)

Ken
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Will it take a polish like hap40/super blue?
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

awa54 wrote:

How do you get just the scales from Cuscadi? from my view of their web site it looks like only the complete knife with N690 blade is available...

I have received the scales yesterday. They are absolutely beautiful.
Also they join with the scales some washers which is a nice gesture too. Another very nice little attention was a packet of Haribo bears. Haribo is a German trademark of famous candy.

But, unfortunatly I was unenable to unscrew the pivot as the bolt on the other side was freely turning under my finger and don't know how to block it.I try to press my finger on it but I could feel it turning...
All the other screws came easily but the one on the pivot's. Guess it's not so easy to ruin the warranty after all...

So I have asked Cuscadi Team if I could send the knife to them as I'm certain they will have better tools to unscrew it.
I never add this problem before as I always used two torxes (one on each sides of the pivot) but here they is a screw and a bolt.

Again, Cuscadi's were very nice to accept and I have sent the Urban and the scales to Germany.
I should have done that in the first place. That what I ill do next time I will order custom scales to them :-)

Anyway they should receive it Monday and from then... I'll let you know.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

GarageBoy wrote:Will it take a polish like hap40/super blue?
Carbides might be a little large to keep the edge polished.

Ken
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

foofie wrote:
Nemo3000 wrote:

It's so great to have the chance to use slipjoint folders with premium hyper steels. This is unique !

More to come soon. :-)
Nemo (or anyone else who has a regular uban to compare),
How well do the cuscadi scales fit? They look great. Just checking that the frn molds for the sprint are the same as the regular production (I can't imagine why not).
Thanks.
I should receive the knife back next week. I'll let you know. :-)
foofie

Post by foofie »

Nemo3000 wrote: But, unfortunatly I was unenable to unscrew the pivot as the bolt on the other side was freely turning under my finger and don't know how to block it.I try to press my finger on it but I could feel it turning...
All the other screws came easily but the one on the pivot's. Guess it's not so easy to ruin the warranty after all...
Great tip from TedP: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73554&sid=7a76dfd58 ... b#p1138915
dowel with superglue on the smooth screw head.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

foofie wrote:
Nemo3000 wrote: But, unfortunatly I was unenable to unscrew the pivot as the bolt on the other side was freely turning under my finger and don't know how to block it.I try to press my finger on it but I could feel it turning...
Great tip from TedP: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73554&sid=7a76dfd58 ... b#p1138915
dowel with superglue on the smooth screw head.
Thank you for the tip. :-)
Yeah, I really prefer to let the pro deal with that "non D" pivot... :-)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I got mine in the mail today! This knife has great F&F. The back spring is pretty strong and it is hard to overcome the half stop with one finger. But, there is a greatly reduced risk that this knife will accidentally close on my fingers. I can't wait to start using it. It is already in my pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

These guys from Maniago did an awfull job when they sharpened mine.It was like 17 degrees on one side and +20 degrees on the other side and the edge was all over the place.I did some work on the WE and now it's stupid sharp with a nice polish 15dps edge.I noticed that is quite easy to raise a burr.I am very happy with the way it sharpened.It's in my pocket right now and will stay there for a long time.A real pocket rocket :cool:

Marius
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Mine is stuck in customs. Grrrrr
And I have to wait for them to contact me to pick it up.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Doc Dan wrote:I got mine in the mail today! This knife has great F&F. The back spring is pretty strong and it is hard to overcome the half stop with one finger. But, there is a greatly reduced risk that this knife will accidentally close on my fingers. I can't wait to start using it. It is already in my pocket.
I have this same issue, but thought my index finger was just a bit weak from not using many slipits... new muscles to work on.:p
I have little experience with these stronger back springs. Do they soften with time? I actually hope not too much.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I picked one of the 2 I received as a user, agree that edge grinding is not the best on these and both of mine are getting repro filed, both were very sharp out of the box but the grinds are very different per side.

The back spring one the one I've been carrying/using is starting to soften up some but still pretty stiff. I think with more carry time and use it will become perfect. These really are nice slipits.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I ate an apple today, cutting slices off and feeding them into my mouth with the knife. I had no patina form at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Doc Dan wrote:I ate an apple today, cutting slices off and feeding them into my mouth with the knife. I had no patina form at all.
Same here Doc, sliced up 4 lemons for the wife last night with no patina that I can see, I did rinse the blade right away though.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
nomad1c

Post by nomad1c »

Got mine out of jail yesterday after paying the customs ransom! Hold on in there Possum, I feel your pain!
Just gonna clean the fluff out of my BB Forum Urban then post a comparison but my first impressions are that the back spring is a bit weaker and the ergo's (blade to scales angle) have been tweaked a touch. Blade pattern is definitely different, the point is lower on the K390, similar to the UKPK, with less belly and maybe even a touch longer than the BB knife. Be interesting to see how they compare in use.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

nomad1c wrote:Got mine out of jail yesterday after paying the customs ransom! Hold on in there Possum, I feel your pain!
Just gonna clean the fluff out of my BB Forum Urban then post a comparison but my first impressions are that the back spring is a bit weaker and the ergo's (blade to scales angle) have been tweaked a touch. Blade pattern is definitely different, the point is lower on the K390, similar to the UKPK, with less belly and maybe even a touch longer than the BB knife. Be interesting to see how they compare in use.
Looking forward to how you like it.
Thing about customs is that the ransom isn't enough, no, I can only pick the stuff up once they sent me the letter to pick it up, even though I know it's there... grrrr.
Still, looking forward to it.
nomad1c

Post by nomad1c »

I'm assuming from your customs woes that you're in blighty, Possum, are you a member over on BB and did you manage to get hold of the forum urban? How do you like it?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Had mine for just over a week now and love it.

Didn't know it would patina that is a nice little bonus. Mine has not yet.

I was under the impression you could not have scales made for it?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Had mine for just over a week now and love it.

Didn't know it would patina that is a nice little bonus. Mine has not yet.

I was under the impression you could not have scales made for it?
You can. Almost got mine customized but didn't want to send my knife over.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb