Spyderco Official Discussion Facebook page is up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Spyderco Official Discussion Facebook page is up

Post by SpyderNut »

jabba359 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:What is "Facebook?"
A book. Made out of a face.

Omg, that is hilarious. :D I love the Evil Dead movies!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Tim_B_Riding

Post by Tim_B_Riding »

Peter1960 wrote:No reason for me to open an account. Facebook is a no go, with or without :spyder: .
The mass is not always right ;)

I second this. Been off FB for over year. Don't miss it.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I stopped using FB a few months ago; I do miss it. I had made quite a few friends around the world. Unfortunately, I also picked up stalkers - by that I mean they would never message me when I was not online, but within 2-5 minutes of me logging in, they would start to message me. Agressively. They were doing this every single time I logged in - it got to be just plain creepy. The content of their messages got weirder and weirder: I mentioned something about liking chocolate milk, and one of them (who knows I used to love to drink scotch, but that I can't anymore because of severe liver damage from the cancer) immediately posted on my page and message me about this incredibly great scotch he had.

When I was rushed to the ICU, and had to be put in a coma and intubated for a week, I had a lot of people wishing me well. However, there was one person in particular who posted repeatedly that he did not believe me at all; that I was lying about being in the ICU, and that it never happened.

It kept getting weirder and weirder, and eventually I felt like I was driven off FB. Even my friends commented about it.

I think if the UI could be programmed so that people cannot tell when you are online, that would help a lot.

I hope that the Spydie page / group does well. The more people we can get talking about the quality knives that Spyderco makes, the better. There is a perception amongst many people that only "undesireable elements of society" are into knives. We have to change that; we have to set a good example, and show these people that's not the case at all.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

^^^^ This is why you make your page private and don't accept friend requests by anyone you don't know. All of that is avoidable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RLDubbya wrote:I stopped using FB a few months ago; I do miss it. I had made quite a few friends around the world. Unfortunately, I also picked up stalkers - by that I mean they would never message me when I was not online, but within 2-5 minutes of me logging in, they would start to message me. Agressively. They were doing this every single time I logged in - it got to be just plain creepy. The content of their messages got weirder and weirder: I mentioned something about liking chocolate milk, and one of them (who knows I used to love to drink scotch, but that I can't anymore because of severe liver damage from the cancer) immediately posted on my page and message me about this incredibly great scotch he had.

When I was rushed to the ICU, and had to be put in a coma and intubated for a week, I had a lot of people wishing me well. However, there was one person in particular who posted repeatedly that he did not believe me at all; that I was lying about being in the ICU, and that it never happened.

It kept getting weirder and weirder, and eventually I felt like I was driven off FB. Even my friends commented about it.

I think if the UI could be programmed so that people cannot tell when you are online, that would help a lot.

I hope that the Spydie page / group does well. The more people we can get talking about the quality knives that Spyderco makes, the better. There is a perception amongst many people that only "undesireable elements of society" are into knives. We have to change that; we have to set a good example, and show these people that's not the case at all.
Yes that's pretty bizarre. You could have just unfriened and blocked the person. I'll communicate with people I don't know from the groups I'm a member of, but just because we talk knives or guns or whatever, doesn't mean I add them as friends to my account. I'm very locked down on Facebook. Safer that way.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

How would you guys with the answers suggest I deal with the the fact that I do know these people, and have existing professional relationships with them?

EDIT: I tried to think of a way to not sound like a ..., but I really cannot. So: please take this as a sincere question, I am not trying to give you guys a hard time when I ask it.

Why do you automatically assume that (a) I need your help (b) I'm a complete and total idiot who doesn't know how to use software? Why do you not, instead, say to yourselves something like: well, there's more to the story than he's explaining. That is a weird situation he's got going on, it's too bad. And then publicly say something polite, and caring like "Dude, that sucks. Sorry you're having that issue. If I can help you in any way, please let me know."
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

I thought there was a way to not show yourself as online in Facebook messenger. I'm sure I had myself set up that way at one point because I like to handle private messages at my convenience and don't like to get pounced upon by overly friendly and chatty friends as soon as I log on. Does that feature not work anymore? * goes to investigate*
(Sent from iPod)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

David Lowry wrote:Here is the link for those wondering....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SpydercoOfficialGroup/
Thanks for the link, David. I don't have FB, but this was an interesting read. :)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RLDubbya wrote:How would you guys with the answers suggest I deal with the the fact that I do know these people, and have existing professional relationships with them?

EDIT: I tried to think of a way to not sound like a ..., but I really cannot. So: please take this as a sincere question, I am not trying to give you guys a hard time when I ask it.

Why do you automatically assume that (a) I need your help (b) I'm a complete and total idiot who doesn't know how to use software? Why do you not, instead, say to yourselves something like: well, there's more to the story than he's explaining. That is a weird situation he's got going on, it's too bad. And then publicly say something polite, and caring like "Dude, that sucks. Sorry you're having that issue. If I can help you in any way, please let me know."

Well, I can't tell you how to deal with it NOW, but I've managed to avoid that sort of problem because I don't even friend co-workers. Heck I don't even have any "internet friends" like the people on this forum that I chat with literally everyday.

The beauty of a FB group like this is you can interact with people in that group but still keep them out of your personal life. I just have a rule, if I don't know you and have a life of some sort with you in person, you don't get on my FB friends list. It's that simple.

Once you've let them in and then you start having these problems, you can either politely tell them hey I'm getting annoyed or whatever, or maybe deleting the account is the best course of action.

Personally I avoided it for many many years but family connectivity pushed me to join. I'm also not on any other social media. I had an Instagram account for a while but the bands and people I had on there just posted the same stuff on FB so I stopped using it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RLDubbya wrote:How would you guys with the answers suggest I deal with the the fact that I do know these people, and have existing professional relationships with them?

Like Evil D, I keep work people off of my Facebook. When they ask to add me I just tell them that I'm keeping it separate. I came to that conclusion after a year or so of adding many co workers so I removed them all and told them why. It was awkward but they got over it.

As to why I felt it necessary to offer some advice, well, frankly, it's because your post seemed like you were unaware of some options that you could take and it sounded like a lousy situation. I like to think we are here to help each other. My wife says things like "I wish you would just listen and say that you understand and that's all" but I'm a guy. I can't help but offer solutions.

No one thinks you're an idiot btw.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

No there is no reason for a Forum user to jump ship from here, especially if they don't currently use Facebook. It is a good move on Spyderco's part to have an official page over there. The largest of the spyderco fan pages over there is run by egotistical ninnies who are creating a caustic environment that leads to unfair conclusions about the Spyderco way.

I do feel Taz's job over there will be difficult. The Facebook expectation of instantaneous replies is even more unrealistic than sending emails to a company website.
brj

Post by brj »

No FB for me, but good to know the option is out there.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Thanks Kristi, for the addition to the FB group. Looks good!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

David, is there any way you can possibly re-post this link? For some reason,it is no longer working for me. Thank you in advance and apologies for the bother. :)

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderNut wrote:

David, is there any way you can possibly re-post this link? For some reason,it is no longer working for me. Thank you in advance and apologies for the bother. :)
That link works. The group is now private so you need to join to before you can view it. I would open FB and search "Spyderco Official" and then request to join.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Sharp Guy wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

That link works. The group is now private so you need to join to before you can view it. I would open FB and search "Spyderco Official" and then request to join.
I was able to see that page even before I joined.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

David Lowry wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Yes me too. It wasn't a private group until a couple days ago.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Nice, will be a welcome addition to fb.
At times I don't have the time for the forum, I'll at least be able to sneak a peek at fb.. ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sharp Guy wrote:
David Lowry wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Yes me too. It wasn't a private group until a couple days ago.
Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the info, gentlemen. :)

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

zenheretic wrote: I do feel Taz's job over there will be difficult. The Facebook expectation of instantaneous replies is even more unrealistic than sending emails to a company website.
Another case for needing a "like" button here. Well said.

Ken