Wharncliffe on a cutting board?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Wharncliffe on a cutting board?

Post by Jazz »

Here are my main 2 work knives. The current chef knife has a nice wide blade, so lots of room. It's a tad heavy though. Slows me down a might.

- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the little yellow handle wharncliffe
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That inexpensive Henkels parer (that I modded to be wharnie) has peeled thousands of potatoes, and says "gimme more, man". After years of peeling, I've settled on this knife. Best peeler ever. Easy to touch up. Great control. Highly recommended.

I just noticed, it's getting worn down. I better mod a backup.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was going to ask you if you modded that yourself. nice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz,

FYI.
Victorinox has some parings that are wharnies or outright hawkbill. No modding needed
Not sure how different the steel compared to Henckels.
Chris :spyder:
Aliaspostmortem

Post by Aliaspostmortem »

This is a very theoretical discussion for me. The only time I even consider a totally inferior folding knife for kitchen duty is when I'm preparing for a knifereview and wants to spend more time with getting to know the knife in question. Otherwise I use kitchen knives in the kitchen. :) They tend to outperform every folder there is no matter design and price level.

The strange thing is that I more than once encountered people who automatically assume that I don't have good kitchen knives because I'm generally into folders. Of course I have a solid amount of kitchen knives. I'm an eager home chef as well. Why should I try to dice an onion with a small and for the purpose rather bad EDC-type folder? It's like trying to process wood with the same knife. Of course you could, it's just no good at it.

/ J
For reviews and other kniferelated stuff mostly in Swedish visit: http://knivigtvarre.blogspot.se/
Now also with reviews in English!
vivi

Post by vivi »

You'd be surprised. I've noticed lots of folks talking about using folders for food prep. Doing it as a test for fun is one thing, but day in day out? I'll take a chef knife any day. Victorinox 10" for me.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

anagarika wrote:Jazz,

FYI.
Victorinox has some parings that are wharnies or outright hawkbill. No modding needed
Not sure how different the steel compared to Henckels.
Probably very similar steel. Those wee hawkbill ones look too short, and the curve makes them useless, in my opinion. Someone must like them, or they wouldn't make them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote: Doing it as a test for fun is one thing, but day in day out? I'll take a chef knife any day. Victorinox 10" for me.
Exactly. It is fun... once in a while. And you guys that use 10" chef knives - I'm proud of you.
- best wishes, Jazz.
me2

Post by me2 »

Could the trend of shorter santoku style knives be due to smaller kitchens? Less room for a large pointy blade when in a crowded kitchen?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think Rachel Ray started it, or something like that. People see it and think it's where it's at.
- best wishes, Jazz.