Why Spyderco logo is painted?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
qazy

Why Spyderco logo is painted?

Post by qazy »

The one thing that "bothers" me about Spyderco knives is that the logo is painted. I would really prefer it to be laser-cut/chiselled.
This would add even more class to the knives and make the refinishing, thinning and overall maintenance of geometry less intrusive. Are there any plans for laser cut logo in future or any sprint runs?
Sharp Guy

Re: Why Spyderco logo is painted?

Post by Sharp Guy »

What Spyderco knives do you have with a painted logo? Mine are all current, or recently discontinued, models and none of the logos are painted.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
425KRS

Post by 425KRS »

Sharp Guy wrote:What Spyderco knives do you have with a painted logo? Mine are all current, or recently discontinued, models and none of the logos are painted.
I think they mean that the logo is filled in (?)

It's product branding, I personally have no problem with it (I actually like it). I would say that this opinion (not liking the spyderco logo on knife) is in the minority. YMMV
:spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sharp Guy wrote:What Spyderco knives do you have with a painted logo? Mine are all current, or recently discontinued, models and none of the logos are painted.
Wondering the same myself. And besides that most, if not all, of the ones that were painted gold or are painted black are still laser etched under the paint. Personally, I ratther they just left the darn "bug" off, but know that's not likely to happen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
qazy

Post by qazy »

The Deacon wrote:
Wondering the same myself. And besides that most, if not all, of the ones that were painted gold or are painted black are still laser etched under the paint. Personally, I ratther they just left the darn "bug" off, but know that's not likely to happen.
So, if I take the sandpaper or stones and refinish the blade to mirror finish, the paint (fill) will go away but the underneath logo will still be visible?
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

qazy wrote:So, if I take the sandpaper or stones and refinish the blade to mirror finish, the paint (fill) will go away but the underneath logo will still be visible?
I'd bet that the laser/etch logo will get messed up or completely disappear.
I laser marked my name on the blade of a Spyderco Bug. I sharpened and buffed the blade and messed up the laser mark. I don't have the blade on me now but I could take a picture when I get home.
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

The Deacon wrote:Personally, I ratther they just left the darn "bug" off, but know that's not likely to happen.
The Spyderco logo looks like a tick or head lice. Ugly AF.
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

I know some of my Taiwan Sydercos like the Rubicon and the GB1 have a deep etching of the logo which appears diamond shaped.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the OP is confusing paint with laser etching. Regardless, either one will rub/polish off. I wouldn't mind seeing them lasered in a bit deeper.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've noticed some do look painted, the ones I like the best are the deep etch that have kind of a gold tint to them and feel rough.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm a big fan of the bug logo on the blade. Paul, you been drinkin'? ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OakTree wrote:
qazy wrote:So, if I take the sandpaper or stones and refinish the blade to mirror finish, the paint (fill) will go away but the underneath logo will still be visible?
I'd bet that the laser/etch logo will get messed up or completely disappear.
I'd agree. You might get away with using polishing compound, but the laser engraving of the :spyder:, and most other laser etched blade markings on models that have them, is very shallow compared with the tang stamps.
Jazz wrote:I'm a big fan of the bug logo on the blade. Paul, you been drinkin'? ;)
Nah, just a grumpy old man, as usual. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

I really like the spider logo on the blade. It could maybe be moved, it would be cool if it was at the tang next to SPYDERCO :spyder:
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
qazy

Post by qazy »

Evil D wrote:I think the OP is confusing paint with laser etching. Regardless, either one with rub/polish off. I wouldn't mind seeing them lasered in a bit deeper.
Precisely, thanks Evil D.
My point is that I would much rather prefer the logo that don't get scratched. I guess the right word is "engraved". I like how the bug/tic looks.
Like most mid to high end Japanese knives with their engraved (chiselled) kanjis.

Example:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I believe many of those Japanese logos are hammered in. On my Higo you can see where the steel has raised up around the lettering. I know this guy isn't sitting around his coal fire hammering out these knives and then laser etching his logo lol.

I don't know how realistic this would be to do in a higher production setting, but I know there are some Spydercos that have the lettering engraved far deeper than the bugs ever have been.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
qazy

Post by qazy »

Definitely, hand chiselling would not be an option for mass produced knives. But laser cutting/water jetting/etc (what ever works) should be fairly inexpensive on a large scale. I would pay $5-$10 extra for that on mass produced knife. And considerably more for a sprint run.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Qazy,

Welcome to our forum.

I guess I'm not quite sure of what you are asking for?

sal
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

What a very strange thing to be concerned about. :confused:

Regardless, every spyderco knife in production has a laser etched logo. Also, the way the logo is etched differs by country of origin. Look at them through a loupe. You will see that Taiwan, Japan, and golden spydies all have different etchings.
brj

Post by brj »

Looks like the logo is lasered in deep enough, you can still see the bug even after quite a bit of honing.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi AwayFromMySpydieHole,

Welcome to forum.

sal