What is your favorite Stainless Steel Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShaneInDenver

Re: What is your favorite Stainless Steel Spydie?

Post by ShaneInDenver »

Spyderedge Cricket for me. This thread makes me wish I had it on me today! (Not my picture)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

This is one of my favorite SS Spydies:

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

From a collector standpoint there was one great stainless handled Spyderco model that very few here even on the Forum are aware of>> I'm speaking of the old SPUR model. I had one of those once an it was just about the perfect size for a gentlemans EDC folder.

But I still maintain that probably the best hidden secret that Spyderco had was their "Stainless RESCUE" model from the ATS-55 era. It is in my opinion the most rigidly built, hard use Spyder that I've ever owned and used. I still use mine quite often and it can endure some pretty demanding cutting jobs.

So from a collector's standpoint I would love to see a Sprint Run of the SPUR model>> but for hard use I don't see how you could beat a Sprint run of the Stainless handled RESCUE model. The C-45 is the one I'm current using and it is a beast of a folder :cool:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Last SS I liked was the original "Hunter" but I didn't know any better back then. No more SS handles for me, sorry.

Ken
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Right now I think Paul's two engraved Kiwis are my favorites. I was about to say I didn't own any SS models, then I remembered that I "won" two bug sets in a National Knives contest that I didn't even know I entered, so I have six :)

I really like the thinness of my Ti Damascus Delica 4, so if a FFG Delica were made with similar SS scales, that would be my favorite. Also I think the SS Balance and the C02 Mariner are pretty good candidates, the Mariner especially because of its iconic status (which I've learned about from JD's posts).

But I'd really rather have a similar SS model based on the C14 Rescue 3 (like JD's C45 Rescue Jr only bigger). I just picked up a Rescue 3 at my 50-mile-away B&M last week and have been really pleased with its great ergonomic handle shape and choil. Plus, it's blade capability matches the D'Allara Rescue and Pacific Salt IMO.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Dragonfly and Porpious
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

clovisc wrote:Dragonfly and Porpious
Porpious?

Ken
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wish I had a Scorpious. We don't see enough of that design. anyone have a pic?
- best wishes, Jazz.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

While googling pics of the Scorpious, which I don't think I'm supposed to link, I was reminded of the SS Poliwog, which I'd much like to have (also mentioned above by Larry_Mott) ... but for carrying purposes I'd much rather have the lighter G-10 Poliwog.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
streicher708

Post by streicher708 »

I happen to love SS Spidies....

Dragonfly, Co-Pilot, Navigator, Endura, Delica, Police, Rookie, Polliwog, Mariner (in H1), my first stretch, a few Harpy's, Worker, SpyderCard, Cricket, My SS ATR, and my beloved Lava come to mind.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Jazz wrote:I wish I had a Scorpious. We don't see enough of that design. anyone have a pic?
Here you go

I only have 3 stainless Spydercos, this, a Dragonfly and a Ladybug Tattoo - I'll go with the Scorpius as my favorite just because it is so different
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

There's a classic triumvirate or trifecta of all stainless Spydies that I couldn't part with- in equal order:

All stainless, serrated Police.
I love this model so much I own both the left and right handed variants....It is the quintessential Spyderco design: slim, carries well despite the large blade size, all steel, clip-carry, mid-backlock, serrated
The plain and combo edge are (I'm sure) wonderful- but they are the skinny soy latte compared to the 8-shot expresso of the serrated variant :D

Delica 4 Stainless serrated
I have beaten on this knife in ways that would make my Dad scream about 'tool abuse'...it's never failed or shirked.
It cuts and carries superbly- and is a little less scary looking than the Police when around 'normies' ;)
It is- sadly- shaded out by the next knife on my list:

Harpy
The knife that turned me onto hawkbills.
The knife that showed me Spyderedge serrations are in a different league to other makers serrations.
The knife that is named-checked the most famous serial killer-gourmet-cannibal of all time.
I never go on holiday without it.
It is an excellent EDC and provides a level of cutting power for size that is impossible to beat (IMHO)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

PSquared wrote:
Jazz wrote:I wish I had a Scorpious. We don't see enough of that design. anyone have a pic?
Here you go

I only have 3 stainless Spydercos, this, a Dragonfly and a Ladybug Tattoo - I'll go with the Scorpius as my favorite just because it is so different
Thanks! That is a cool model.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Talking handles not blade steel. :spyder:
Hi, Spydergirl. I've gotta know -- do you have a favorite? Or is this thread to help you decide? Sorry if I've missed this on another thread.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

DougC-3 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Talking handles not blade steel. :spyder:
Hi, Spydergirl. I've gotta know -- do you have a favorite? Or is this thread to help you decide? Sorry if I've missed this on another thread.
This is to help me decide. I only have 1- a copilot.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PSquared wrote:
Here you go

Not to derail this thread, but we need a G-10 Scorpious Sprint. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If they make a scorpius sprint I hope they don't kill the swedge like they did with the sprint jess horn :(
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

kbuzbee wrote:
Porpious?

Ken
It's a porpoise/scorpius. Underwater scorpion lol. H1 for sure.
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The stainless handled SPUR was truly a very well designed model for it's era ( 1995 or thereabout) but it also had a big Brother called the "Pro-Grip which was a very nice stainless handled EDC model. It's funny you don't see either one of those around anymore because in the late 90s those two were very easy to come by.

Also if my memory serves me well I believe the very first variant of the STretch model was a stainless handled version. Speaking of the Scorpius I haven't seen one of those in probably 8 to 10 years. I've wondered why none of these models I've mentioned except the Stretch never did much on the sales charts because they were all great models.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
kbuzbee wrote:
Porpious?

Ken
It's a porpoise/scorpius. Underwater scorpion lol. H1 for sure.
"Porpious" is an old school nickname for the version of the Scorpius which has the lanyard hole nearer the backlock, as opposed to at the tip of the tail.