Paramilitary 2 left-handed version

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

Paramilitary 2 left-handed version

Post by Mikael Andersson »

I think that making a left-handed version of the Paramilitary 2 is just absolutely great especially since I'm left-handed myself but why make it so plain Jane considering that only about ten percent of the population are using their left hand as their main hand.

If it were up to me we would see this knife in MoonGlow side scales with a blade steel that are considered to be ultra premium, an example of what that exactly is you can see in this link: http://knifeinformer.com/discovering-th ... ife-steel/
MattM68

Re: Paramilitary 2 left-handed version

Post by MattM68 »

Well I'm sure the reason they made it with S30V is because only 10% of the population is left handed, like you just said. Not many people would be buying a premium left handed version. It would be awesome for the lefties, but it wouldn't be worth it for Spyderco to make.
Mikael Andersson

MattM68 wrote:Well I'm sure the reason they made it with S30V is because only 10% of the population is left handed, like you just said. Not many people would be buying a premium left handed version. It would be awesome for the lefties, but it wouldn't be worth it for Spyderco to make.
I think that just because it is a low volume item Spyderco should have done something special with it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's just too bad this knife is horribly flawed with that measly 3.44 inch blade. Now, if they increased the blade length to 3.5 it would be a winner.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

But if they did something special with it the price would go up, and people would then complain about how they can't just get a "normal" configuration. And then the right handed people would want the same knife in the right handed configuration. Also, if the regular left handed model is a success, maybe they'll do something special with it.
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:It's just too bad this knife is horribly flawed with that measly 3.44 inch blade. Now, if they increased the blade length to 3.5 it would be a winner.
Isn't it Spyderco's best selling knife?

So with that I would say that it's already a winner.
Mikael Andersson

MattM68 wrote:But if they did something special with it the price would go up, and people would then complain about how they can't just get a "normal" configuration. And then the right handed people would want the same knife in the right handed configuration. Also, if the regular left handed model is a success, maybe they'll do something special with it.
With S30V blade steel and black G-10 side scales I don't think that it will be that much of a success.
MattBPKT

Post by MattBPKT »

They make sprint runs all the time with higher end steels. CPM-S110V for example. Those steels provide excellent performance but they are much harder to work with by Spyderco. This pushes costs up and the "ROI" is rarely enough to justify mass scale production.
Knife Informer...stay sharp, stay informed.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think an interesting question is how many right handers will buy the left hand model to complete the set in a collection or just for variety. My guess is not many, but potentially more righties would be interested if it had a unique scale color, blade steel or both. I'm in regardless.
:spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Nate wrote:I think an interesting question is how many right handers will buy the left hand model to complete the set in a collection or just for variety. My guess is not many, but potentially more righties would be interested if it had a unique scale color, blade steel or both. I'm in regardless.
I think you've touched on an important point. There will be lots of people that buy this simply because it's a new Para 2 design. I myself am anxious to get my hands on one just to try it out. I'll be picking up a serrated version as well.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:It's just too bad this knife is horribly flawed with that measly 3.44 inch blade. Now, if they increased the blade length to 3.5 it would be a winner.

Oh, you must have just been trolling with this thread and all the other idiotic threads you've made just like it. I was just quoting you from that thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71407
Mikael Andersson wrote:The blade length of the Paramilitary 2 could be increased to 3.50'' and it would still fit snugly inside the handle.
~David
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:

Oh, you must have just been trolling with this thread and all the other idiotic threads you've made just like it. I was just quoting you from that thread.

Mikael Andersson wrote:The blade length of the Paramilitary 2 could be increased to 3.50'' and it would still fit snugly inside the handle.
Opinions that hurts your feelings are not trolling but proof of a great democracy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:

Opinions that hurts your feelings are not trolling but proof of a great democracy.

Proving that you can't even remember your own BS posts is proof that you're trolling.
~David
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:

Proving that you can't even remember your own BS posts is proof that you're trolling.
It seems to be enough that you can remember it. :rolleyes:
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I'm a lefty and I still don't own a PM2. A sprint version would be nice.
Mikael Andersson

fanglekai wrote:I'm a lefty and I still don't own a PM2. A sprint version would be nice.
With MoonGlow side scales? ;)
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Yeah that'd be cool. I don't mind S30V either.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think Moonglow has gone away. I forget why, but the people who used to get the special moonglow exclusives, something happened with their supplier or Spyderco doesn't want to work with it. I forget what happened.

There is some pretty weird information on that page you linked.

I don't understand the difference between the edge retention chart and the wear resistance chart. Everyone else defines those as the same thing.

Also, everyone in the world that matters says the Corrosion resistance of S110V is higher than S30V, but that page says the opposite.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Moonglow G-10 is the exclusive province of EDC Forums and/or Jon Burley. Sal won't use it without his express permission. If you want it, you need to go over there and lobby for it.

Although I'm right handed, I'd buy a PM2 "lefty" version, simply because in my opinion, the current version IS left-handed and I'd like to have one with the lock the right way. I might even carry it then.
Nate

Post by Nate »

yablanowitz wrote: Although I'm right handed, I'd buy a PM2 "lefty" version, simply because in my opinion, the current version IS left-handed and I'd like to have one with the lock the right way. I might even carry it then.
As a lefty, I've tried to look at the standard PM2 this way and while I can do all right with the comp lock in either hand, it just feels more natural to me to use it right handed.

In my left hand, my grip on the knife just doesn't feel as secure when I close it. I use my thumb to disengage the lock and my other four fingers are on the other side of the handle, so the thumb has to do double duty working the lock and holding the knife. My fingers are free of the path of the blade either way, which is good, but I always feel like the risk of dropping it is high when closing the blade lefty.

OTOH (literally) I have four fingers on the lock side and my thumb opposite, so I can use my index finger to release the lock and still have three fingers on the lock side holding the knife to give a secure grip on both sides of the handle, again with my fingers clear of the blade. I guess maybe I've just gotten used to always depressing the lock and letting the blade swing free back into the handle. Do you do something different to close the blade?
:spyder: