rugged or not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hobojim

rugged or not?

Post by hobojim »

I just chipped my new spyderco opening a tin can. I know thats not what its meant for but ****, its a tin can. great knife for paper and wood i guess.
lol

*Edited to remove profanity - TazKristi*
SG89

Re: rugged or not?

Post by SG89 »

Nice first post. Welcome.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

A straight cut through a thin tin can like a soda can shouldn't be a big deal but a twisting cut could be. Or a straight cut through a thicker tin can like a can of beans could stress an edge.
Personally I don't cut through cans. I use a can opener.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Welcome hobojim. Ya know, there are a variety of knives that come with a can opener.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Which knife was it? What kind of can?
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

hobojim wrote:I just chipped my new spyderco opening a tin can. I know thats not what its meant for

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Hobo. I'm glad to see that there is at least one thing we agree upon: knives are not meant to open tin cans. I bet that we can find other grounds of agreement if we try.

If you take a moment to post a pic, somebody might be able to make an intelligent suggestion. I believe that Spyderco, at one point, offered a reblade service for something like $35. I am not a Spyderco employee, so I don't know if this is still an option. You could email or call customer service and find out.

Depending on size / location of chip, it could be trivial to essentially grind out. There have been guys who broke off significant portions of their blade, and then cut a bit further back, reground the edge, and ended up with a very fine finished product that looks and functions just great.

You might want to learn how to do that. Or one of use could recommend a knifemaker to do that for you.

Best regards,

BobW
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Jim, what knife/steel
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Hobo, welcome to the forum.

Regarding your post, it would be simple enough (and likely much cheaper) for Spyderco to make knives that would open cans without ever chipping, unfortunately they wouldn't hold an edge very well. I guess when they were prioritizing steel characteristics they decided a knife that would stay sharp through normal use would have wider appeal than one that was good at opening a can of beans.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't know, I've seen Jazz in that video stick a ffg delica through some tin cans without any problems. We need some pics of the knife and the can in question here asap H.J. so we can further discuss and diagnose the issue. ;)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Hobo:
It would be very helpful if you could post additional details. Vague statements are a challenge to provide any real assistance. Can you tell us what model, what configuration, where you purchased it from (where is important to determine if you have an authentic Spyderco or potentially a counterfeit)? Pictures are always a huge help. Hopefully, you come back and are willing to share more info. It seems you logged off right after you posted.

We look forward to being able to assist you as best as we can.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

With a name like HoboJim it must have been a can of beans. Silly vagrant.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mr Danger wrote:With a name like HoboJim it must have been a can of beans. Silly vagrant.
:p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Spyderco knives are quite rugged... and, can openers and tin snips work quite nicely on tin cans. :)

Welcome to the Forum!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

Welcome Hobo, would you mind posting the can and a close up of the knife? Members here can help you given enough information.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I hope I'm wrong but somehow I get the feeling that we're not going to hear from hobojim again. That first post seemed kind of trollish to me. Seriously, who actually tries to use a knife to open a tin can?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Troll comes to mind.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt