Byrd Morph to Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifewing

Byrd Morph to Spyderco?

Post by Knifewing »

I just bought a Byrd Finch 2, my first Byrd knife in years. As many have said, the Finch 2 is a great little knife for the money. I really like the design although I'd prefer better blade steel and I'd also like it to be a bit bigger. So what I'm wondering is if it's possible for Spyderco to pick up and improve upon this Byrd design for the Spyderco line. I love the Finch 2's slim handle (spine to edge), long thin blade profile and the choil. With the exception of knives such as the Air and the original Kiwi and Baby Horn there are very few Spyderco designs with that thin, non-leaf profile and a blade of around 2.5" long. If Spyderco were to take the Finch 2 design, then proportionately increase the blade and handle by about half (to roughly Air size), retain the Finch's slim blade profile spine to edge and the choil, use some incredible SS blade steel (such as Elmax or M390), and give it unique handle scales (like, say, the Leafstorm's), I think it could become Spyderco's ultimate gentleman's pocket knife.
AMarkAbove

Re: Byrd Morph to Spyderco?

Post by AMarkAbove »

Isn't the Finch basically a Ladybug with a choil?
~Andrew
Knifewing

Re: Byrd Morph to Spyderco?

Post by Knifewing »

The Finch 2 is about the same size as a Ladybug or a Jester (my all-time favorite small Spyderco). The choil makes it different and is what attracted me to it. The Byrd Starling 2 looks to be almost identical to a Ladybug.