2017 OKCA Oregon Knife Show April 8-9

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: 2017 OKCA Oregon Knife Show April 8-9

Post by Liquid Cobra »

murphjd25 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
murphjd25 wrote::eek: I'm losing sleep at night with what spydies to bring in my pockets. Is it overkill to carry 3 or 4 knives this day? :D
I carry three a day everyday so I say no it's not overkill!
Woohoo :D Hey man, I never heard from you if those dice ever showed up yet?
Hey! No it never did arrive. I hope it didn't get lost :(
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
murphjd25 wrote::eek: I'm losing sleep at night with what spydies to bring in my pockets. Is it overkill to carry 3 or 4 knives this day? :D
Are you freaking kidding me?? :eek: I didn't have a tracking number cause I just sent it snail mail. I wonder if the post office could still look it up somehow? Or even do anything..probably not I'm sure. That irks me and now I feel bad. If they don't show up between now and the meet in Oregon I'd be willing to let you have my other set to make things right if you end up making it? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed they still show up :confused:
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

murphjd25 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Are you freaking kidding me?? :eek: I didn't have a tracking number cause I just sent it snail mail. I wonder if the post office could still look it up somehow? Or even do anything..probably not I'm sure. That irks me and now I feel bad. If they don't show up between now and the meet in Oregon I'd be willing to let you have my other set to make things right if you end up making it? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed they still show up :confused:
Don't fee bad, it's not your fault! Some lucky mailman probably pocketed them or something. If I do make it to the meet there's no need for you to replace anything. It was a really kind gesture. That's what matters. I'll keep an eye out for them of course. Still hoping they show up. What did you ship them in?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Don't fee bad, it's not your fault! Some lucky mailman probably pocketed them or something. If I do make it to the meet there's no need for you to replace anything. It was a really kind gesture. That's what matters. I'll keep an eye out for them of course. Still hoping they show up. What did you ship them in?
Just a small yellow envelope lined with skinny bubble wrapping. I put them in the mailbox on Saturday Dec. 31st. I really hope someone else doesnt have them now. I am keeping my fingers crossed they may still show up, they weren't going very far.. :(
Josh
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Weekend bump!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Are we there yet?
Josh
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Getting closer.

-Matt
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Five short weeks away. Liquid Cobra, are you making plans to attend? Anybody else who hasn't chimed in yet?

-Matt
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spydersense wrote:Five short weeks away. Liquid Cobra, are you making plans to attend? Anybody else who hasn't chimed in yet?
Not so much making plans, more hoping,waiting, thinking happy thoughts...Nothing is set in stone yet.

@liquid_cobra
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I'm going to the show this year with my brother. This will be the first time for both of us and we are looking forward to it. I have a question for anyone who's been before. Are the major American production knife manufacturers there? Thanks! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

holeshot wrote:I'm going to the show this year with my brother. This will be the first time for both of us and we are looking forward to it. I have a question for anyone who's been before. Are the major American production knife manufacturers there? Thanks! :)
Glad to hear that you and your brother will attend.

Spyderco is the only manufacturer that I remember being there last year. Not sure why though. Benchmade and KAI (Kershaw/ZT) are only two hours away.

-Matt
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spydersense wrote:
holeshot wrote:I'm going to the show this year with my brother. This will be the first time for both of us and we are looking forward to it. I have a question for anyone who's been before. Are the major American production knife manufacturers there? Thanks! :)
Glad to hear that you and your brother will attend.

Spyderco is the only manufacturer that I remember being there last year. Not sure why though. Benchmade and KAI (Kershaw/ZT) are only two hours away.
How about custom makers?

@liquid_cobra
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

There are a significant number of custom makers that attend the OKCA show. I would say custom makers occupy about 25% of the tables at the show. As for other major knife makers who attend the show besides Spyderco, there are Al Mar and Great Eastern Cutlery from what I can recall. I have always been shocked in the 8 years or so that I have been attending that Kershaw/KAI, Benchmade, Gerber, CRKT, Leatherman and SOG don't have a presence at the show since they all are headquartered in the Portland Metro area except for SOG who is up in Lynnwood, WA. This to me speaks volumes about Spyderco and their appreciation for their customers. Thank you Spyderco for helping to make the OKCA show so great. In addition to attending Spyderco has donated items for the silent auction which helps to support the show and OKCA.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ferris Wheels wrote:There are a significant number of custom makers that attend the OKCA show. I would say custom makers occupy about 25% of the tables at the show. As for other major knife makers who attend the show besides Spyderco, there are Al Mar and Great Eastern Cutlery from what I can recall. I have always been shocked in the 8 years or so that I have been attending that Kershaw/KAI, Benchmade, Gerber, CRKT, Leatherman and SOG don't have a presence at the show since they all are headquartered in the Portland Metro area except for SOG who is up in Lynnwood, WA. This to me speaks volumes about Spyderco and their appreciation for their customers. Thank you Spyderco for helping to make the OKCA show so great. In addition to attending Spyderco has donated items for the silent auction which helps to support the show and OKCA.
It's looking more and more like I should be able to attend this years show. It's nice to know what to expect as it helps me prepare. Apologies for yet another question, but would you mind elaborating on the silent auction. When does it take place, what typically is sold, how are the prices etc?

@liquid_cobra
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Dealer's, manufacturer's, table holder's, OKCA members and custom maker's donate items to the silent auction. The items available in the silent auction are displayed at the OKCA tables next to the entrance to the convention hall. They are in wood and glass display cases and while I don't know what time bidding starts or ends on Saturday they have that information displayed. I seem to recall bidding ending around 3:00 on Saturday. Bidding was open to all attendees and you could pay and pickup any won items before the show closed on Saturday. I have never attended on Sunday but I don't believe they have any silent auctions going on Sunday. Some of the items I remember being available last year was a Phil Wilson South Fork and Bird & Trout, PM2 S110V, a couple other Spyderco's I don't recall, a couple custom knives, some KAI kitchen knives, other kitchen knives that I don't remember the brand, some great eastern cutlery slip joints. All total I would guess there were a couple dozen lots.

I should have my OKCA newsletter with show information in the next couple weeks and will try and post some photo's/scan's of the agenda's, tutorials and table holders.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Much appreciated! I hope to see you at the show!

@liquid_cobra
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Only a month to go now! I can't believe how fast it's approaching!

-Matt
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Time flies. Going to be an awesome weekend that's for sure.
Josh
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Three weeks and counting down. :)

-Matt
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

It's now less than two weeks away!

Those from far away;

have you booked your stay?

If not, you may have to cut and run. No fun, that day. ;)

-Matt