Para 3 Defect?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagicfun

Re: Para 3 Defect?

Post by Pelagicfun »

Sharp Guy I was wondering why both of my P3 cruwear had what seemed to be a damaged or smashed last line of gimping. Yours seems to be the same so I guess it was part of manufacturing. When light shines on the knife it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Pelagicfun wrote:Sharp Guy I was wondering why both of my P3 cruwear had what seemed to be a damaged or smashed last line of gimping. Yours seems to be the same so I guess it was part of manufacturing. When light shines on the knife it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Yeah, I saw that when I took the pics. It's definitely a bit smashed. I haven't let it bother me.

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wow, interesting read. Good info about the cqi.
Going back to Caly.
gillrockwell

Post by gillrockwell »

something to look for in counterfeits .)
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I'm sure that Sal & Co. have had plenty of experience with product liability for the tools they have built. That results in anticipatory engineering. This is based on a common ancient doctrine based on the following: "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool." And: "If you make something idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot."

Over the years I've spent observing knife-making there seems a strange competition amongst that population for testing the limits of claims made. If someone said they could make an edge harder than anyone else, a maker would use M-series steels hardened beyond a normal knife edge and shave the spine off the claimant's blade to show everyone that "it depends." Or "you can't have a blade that is hard and tough at the same time." Yes. I can. But I had to add very different equipment to my shop to do it.

The same is true for lock strength and engineering. If the compression lock is the strongest safest lock for a folding knife, some fool-idiot will come along and prove they can break it. Eventually some of those will pack the Para-3 into a half pound of C4 to make sure it breaks. By the time the engineers have figured out how to prevent that, the knife won't fit in a pocket and none of us will have the strength to operate it. The case has been made that these sorts of stresses are not real world.

I am impressed by Spyderco's Engineer who solved this problem by the removal of a sub millimetric sliver of steel from just the right place to defeat a 14lb sledge and concrete blocks. That IMO is subtle artistry defeating a limited brute force application. It's guided by the doctrine that change is only necessary to "good enough" when it's cost effective. Chasing "the perfect" is expensive especially when competing in the fool's arena.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

It is not defective. I have literally over 30 para 3’s and I’m pretty sure they all have this. Just got 2 of the 204p versions in today. Both have this.

Edit: should have looked at how old this thread was before adding my reply. Didn’t realize someone brought this back from the dead. :o