Para 3 Defect?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Re: Para 3 Defect?

Post by Michael Janich »

FDE wrote:So does the lockbar engage the ramp below or above the small stepped area?
By design, it is above. It will not hang on the edge of the step and will self-compensate to ensure a strong lock engagement and self-adjustment for wear over time.

Stay safe,

Mike
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This is really impressive. I imagine that the overstrike impact forces the lockbar over. Having a flat section eliminates the slope, and thus, the motion....but because of where it's positioned, it won't affect normal wear in or use.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
RjB

Post by RjB »

Spyderco and CQI: You gotta Love it.
Mr Mayhem (awesome SoA reference lol)
My P3 is like Josh's, which Mike Janich has stated is a "1 gen" and yours is of the CQI "2nd gen". This CQI was due to illogical end user over strike testing. One positive aspect is Spyderco solved an "issue" that most end users of compression locks never knew existed! Give it some break in time(normal use break in please as it's a knife not a short sword or battle axe) and if you still find issue with it contact W&R at Spyderco. By the sounds of it you got New & Improved and a good one at that.
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

RjB wrote:Spyderco and CQI: You gotta Love it.
Mr Mayhem (awesome SoA reference lol)
My P3 is like Josh's, which Mike Janich has stated is a "1 gen" and yours is of the CQI "2nd gen". This CQI was due to illogical end user over strike testing. One positive aspect is Spyderco solved an "issue" that most end users of compression locks never knew existed! Give it some break in time(normal use break in please as it's a knife not a short sword or battle axe) and if you still find issue with it contact W&R at Spyderco. By the sounds of it you got New & Improved and a good one at that.
Thanks for your input. When and where did you purchase your Para 3?
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

So is anyone else seeing this yet?
mad german

Post by mad german »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:So is anyone else seeing this yet?
Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?
My collection is ever changing!
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Thank you Mr. Janich! This is awesome to hear feed back and watch the QCI in progress. I love my Para3!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
DaveShyne

Post by DaveShyne »

Yes, mine is like this as well. I was literally about to post about it. The lock is a little sticky, especially when spidey flicked.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

DaveShyne wrote:Yes, mine is like this as well. I was literally about to post about it. The lock is a little sticky, especially when spidey flicked.
Welcome to the forum Dave, mine was a little sticky at first too but its gone away, cleaning the lock face and using a pencil on it helped mine until it wore in some.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Never seen this, neither in my Para 3's as my PM2's. Looks like they ground off a bit too much of the tang. Contact Spyderco, they offer very good service.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DaveShyne wrote:....The lock is a little sticky, especially when spidey flicked.
It sticks more when flicked open because you're forcing the lock bar farther up the ramp. My Cruwear Para 3 had a little lock stick when I first got it. Now it's gone. My first run Para 3 (S30V) still has a little lock stick and it's been used quite a bit. It doesn't bother me since I know the lock is holding extra tight.

toomzz wrote:Never seen this, neither in my Para 3's as my PM2's. Looks like they ground off a bit too much of the tang. Contact Spyderco, they offer very good service.
As Mr. Janich stated previously in this thread, the notch in the ramp is there by design and part of Spyderco's CQI process. My first run (gen 1) Para 3 doesn't have the notch but my Para 3 Cruwear does.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Image[/quote]

Yikes, does that ramp have corrosion on it?
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Ti Rod Tactical

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Michael Janich wrote:Dear chaoticdefect65 and all:

Thank you very much for your post. Your knife is not defective.

After I read your post this morning, I spoke to our manufacturing manager and chief engineer. They confirmed that the machined "step" was a purposeful in-line change in the design; however, both versions of the Para 3 shown in this thread are correct and both are completely functional and reliable.

The first production of the Para 3 featured the full-width lock ramp that has traditionally been used on all our Compression Locks. Our testing of that lock in the Para 3 confirmed that it is robust, reliable, and provides outstanding lock strength--just like the many thousands of other Compression Locks currently in service.

When extreme lock testing videos became popular on the Internet several years ago, some testers began using an "overstrike" test. In this test, the knife is gripped by the end of the handle and the forward portion of the "slot" side of the handle is struck against a hard surface to try to get the blade to close. While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols.

In its original full-width-ramp configuration, the Para 3 performed just as well as our other Compression Lock knives on the overstrike test. When the lock finally failed, it did so because the impact of the strike allowed the liner to slide completely off the ramp. This gave one of our engineers an idea. In the spirit of Constant Quality Improvement (C.Q.I.), he machined a small "safety step" at the low end of the ramp. In overstrike tests, this step is designed to act as a shelf or step to "catch" the liner and act as a failsafe against lock release. Extensive testing of the concept with the Para 3 showed that the idea had merit, so we decided to implement it as a desirable change in the Para 3 design.

Based on the engagement point of the liner and the ramp, the safety step does not affect lock strength or its ease of operation. Again, it is a purposeful C.Q.I. change that we believe is an enhancement to the design. We plan to do additional testing with prototypes of other models to see if it's something that we might consider implementing in other designs, but for now, it's limited to current production of the Para 3. First-run production of the Para 3 with the full-width ramp are perfectly serviceable, first-quality knives and have been very well received by our customers. If you have one, it will serve you well.

As always, if you have any concerns about the performance or operation of an individual Spyderco knife, your best course of action is to send it to our warranty repair department so we can examine it. And, as always, we welcome feedback on your experiences with our knives and your thoughts on our continued efforts to make them better.

Thank you for your continued passion for Spyderco knives.

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike, while I very much appreciate Spyderco's commitment to their CQI program,... personally I don't think they should have bothered to make that particular change on this model. As you've mentioned, the spine wack test "...doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool,...", and especially so on a shorter more EDC type knife.

However, making the change does lend some credibility to a ridiculous standard on anything besides a large survival or heavy duty Military use knife (perhaps?),....and even then I think the standard is ridiculous to try to achieve. :eek: Let the spine wack "engineers" wack on their fixed blades if they're into wacking spines, Ha! :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd much prefer R&D and CQI time, effort, and dollars be spent where it really matters to 99% of responsible knife users,.....working on ergos and such things as rounding and beveling off the often rather sharp G10 outer scale and liner edges. The plunge lines on my Para 3, and where the plunge lines meet Spydie hole,... were way too sharp for my tastes initially. I don't mind working on such things myself, but some folks can't or won't.

These sorts of things are much more important than designing around an unreasonable standard that no one in their right might would ever subject a precision cutting tool to. ;)
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bpfohio

Post by Bpfohio »

I'm glad someone chimed in and explained things. I have the blurple and cruwear para 3 and they both have this feature. The lock stick when I get it is from flicking the knife hard vs a smooth engagement with my thumb as I believe you are supposed to. No defect and a pretty cool feature to me
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydersense wrote:Yikes, does that ramp have corrosion on it?
That pic was taken minutes after I received the knife. It's definitely not corrosion but it does have a bit of bronze tint to it for some reason.

Here's a pic that I took a few minutes ago. The pic is a little too bright. It's actually more bronze than it appears.

Ti Rod Tactical

Looks a little like Color Case Hardening I had on an old Ruger 22LR Revolver :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ti Rod Tactical wrote:Looks a little like Color Case Hardening I had on an old Ruger 22LR Revolver :)
I was thinking the same. I figure it's probably from the heat treating process. I'll get a better look at the whole tang area when I take the knife apart to dye the scales.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Wow!!! How long till a consumer advocating You Toooober makes a CONSUMER ALERT video??
Return all Para 3s.....if you spine whack on concrete with a 14 lb sledge hammer the knife will explode!!
And Spydie won't fix it under warranty!!
:D :D
Ti Rod Tactical

You know, it just occurred to me that subjecting a folding cutting tool to a spine wack "test", just to see if the lock can hold up to the abuse,...is akin to driving your new car into a tree just to see if the bumper can hold up!

Instead, save the tree,.... and wack yourself in the head 3X with the knife's spine to see what happens? I got money on the lock working just fine, although you might come out a little wackier! :D
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

the notch I already knew as CQI but that line/rim/ramp in the tang in the picture THAT I haven't seen before....