I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carl3989

I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Post by carl3989 »

Is it just me or do you also pass on a purchase of a Spyderco knife made in Taiwan? Am I wrong to think that the quality of the knife is inferior to one made in the USA or Japan. Please explain to me why I may be wrong.
Larry_Mott

Re: I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Post by Larry_Mott »

You're wrong because it is not inferior, quite the contrary in this case. I see where you're coming from so to speak, i had a hard time accepting that the best bass guitar i have ever played was a MIJ Fender and for decades Harleys were inferior to Japanese motorcycles. I used to laugh at Korean cars, but today i drive a KIA C'eed SW.
A wiser person than me once said, "people, not countries make things" :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

The fit and finish on my Taiwanese knives is very good. I like my Golden models the best still, but there is no reason to not buy a Taiwanese Spyderco, the quality in my experience is very good.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As long as it also says Taichung on the tang I'm OK with it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Not buying a Taichung spyderco would be the biggest mistake of your spyderco buying life.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Afterman

Post by Afterman »

Taiwan is a 1st world nation, a Democracy, and a powerhouse in the tech industry. China thinks they own them, but don't let that blur the vision of a fine country. Add in the fact Spyderco tracks down only the best factories and hounds them until they meet their standards, and there should be no reservations about a Taichung knife.

USA and Japan can be preferred, sure, but if you love a Taiwan-made design, don't let it stop you.
nick800

Post by nick800 »

You be wrong
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

The fit and finish on the Taichung models in my experience is usually on par or better than the Golden models. Would I prefer my knives be made in US? Sure! But most of my favorite knives come from Taiwan. You'll be missing out on some amazing knives if you skip the Taiwan produced ones.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Afterman wrote:Taiwan is a 1st world nation, a Democracy, and a powerhouse in the tech industry. China thinks they own them, but don't let that blur the vision of a fine country. Add in the fact Spyderco tracks down only the best factories and hounds them until they meet their standards, and there should be no reservations about a Taichung knife.

USA and Japan can be preferred, sure, but if you love a Taiwan-made design, don't let it stop you.
^^Nailed it :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

To do so would be to rule out owning the Chaparral, which is one of the finest Spyderco 's ever produced.

The Spyderco's made in Taiwan are on par with Golden and I believe they are a step above any I've owned out of Japan.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Your money, your choice. However, as others have said, you're missing out on some excellent Spydercos with first class fit and finish if you ignore the models from Taichung. Personally, if I like a knife, country of manufacture is pretty much irrelevant. I wish Spyderco made a model in the USA that I really liked, but they've yet to do that. The Native comes close, but the Chaparral feels so much better in my hand.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

You are missing out!! Need to rethink that thought!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I drive a Swedish car to work for my American employer making parts for French aeroplanes in England. I'll drive home, burning Saudi Arabian diesel, to play my Chinese made games console (A Dutch produced game, I might add) on my Korean TV while I sit on my Vietnamese made sofa and maybe order an Indian curry on my Taiwanese mobile phone while I pop the cap on an Irish stout.....At some point I might have a play with a fine Spyderco product made in Japan, USA or indeed Taiwan.

At no point will I be looking at the label. I will be looking at the relative quality

In short: Buy the Taichung Spyderco product- it supports Spyderco (and thereby US employees) and those models in the range are unbelievable.

Addendum: I frequently have cause to comment on Facebook (when this topic all too frequent comes up)- "Hmm. So how's that American made iPhone working out for you?...That you just posted from about you won't buy a Taichung made knife."....And then I wait for the Irony-O-Meter to overload :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Also: most of the cool custom collaborations come out of Taichung.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Taichung makes the best models. The fit and finish on the ones I've bought are fantastic. Don't let the tang stamp deter you.
remnar

Post by remnar »

"Am I wrong to think that the quality of the knife is inferior to one made in the USA or Japan?"

Yes, you are wrong. I don't know how to explain it any other way. I think you need to find some Taichung knives and take a look for yourself. :) :spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

My Taichungs are my nicest knives! Your defintly missing out!!
Josh
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Everybody Taichung tonight.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cheddarnut wrote:Everybody Taichung tonight.
Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050