I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xplorer

Re: I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Post by Xplorer »

Without question the finest quality Spyderco knives come from the Taiwan factory. Their tolerances seem to be tighter than the rest. This is not uncommon as Taiwanese machines and machined parts are often of superior quality in all sorts of industries.
I am one who would very much love to say the best Spydercos are the American made knives but as awesome as the knives coming from Golden may be, the Taichung knives are consistently the best.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Taiwan has a unique history of quality manufacturing, dating back decades before most of the rest of Asia became industrialized.

After China surrendered Formosa to the Japanese as part of the cease-fire that ended the Cino-Japanese War, the Japanese used the island as an industrial region.

Later during WW2, Taiwan had a large role in manufacturing Japan's military hardware. If I remember correctly, even airplane manufacturing took place there.

My brother has often praised the quality of Taiwanese made goods. He remembers that they were making high quality bike parts even back in the 70s and 80s.

Modern Taiwan also has more Western influenced worker protections and laws. Unlike China, that has regional minimum wages as opposed to a national minimum wage, Taiwan has a countrywide minimum wage of ~$4.50 an hour.

And if the current Spydercos coming out of Taichung are an indication, Taiwan is still a smart choice for balancing production costs and quality.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
timlara

Post by timlara »

Some excellent responses here and I don't really have anything to add that wasn't already stated, just one more opinion that the Taichung made Spydercos are overall my best fit and finish models in my experience.

Taichung seems to kind of be the "premium" maker for Spyderco these days, whereas the USA made models are more of the "workhorse" models. Not to say that the Golden made models aren't of excellent quality, as they certainly are, just that it seems that all the really "fancy" stuff is currently made in Taichung for whatever reason. Golden on occasion does do some fancy stuff too, so I imagine the main reason is a question of who has capacity to take on the workload. Golden is pretty darn busy making Para3's and PM2's I'm guessing!
Tim
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

My Gayle Bradleys are a testament to the supremacy of Taichung knives that Spyderco manufactures. They are worth much more than their price point suggests..
vivi

Post by vivi »

carl3989 wrote:Is it just me or do you also pass on a purchase of a Spyderco knife made in Taiwan? Am I wrong to think that the quality of the knife is inferior to one made in the USA or Japan. Please explain to me why I may be wrong.
Country of origin does not influence my Spyderco purchases at all. I have been pleased with the build quality of all of their knives, whether from USA, Japan, Taiwan, Italy or even China. In fact one of my favorites is from Taiwan (Szabo folder).

Every good I have purchased that was built in Taiwan has been high quality. I am not sure how you developed the views that you did?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

There is a reason why the very difficult Spyderco knives come from Taichung. None of the other makers are probably able and willing to make them. Nirvana, Tighe Stick, Rubicon, Magnitude, Mamba, Ti Chaparral, ALL of the flippers actually, EuroEdge, .
Then you also have the fact that Taichung can do just about anything in terms of materials (G10, CF, CF laminate, Ti, etc.), locks (entire Sage series), and steel (it's all imported so you can get just about anything not Japanese).
You need a Taichung knife. First, quality is at the very pinnacle of production knife makers. Second, there are some very, very excellent designs out of there: Techno, Sage, Chaparral, GB Folder, Slysz Bowie, many of the Spyderco flippers, Nirvana, etc.

And third: there is no reason to only buy American, because that encourages American companies to be lazy. Competition is healthy. Spyderco uses makers in Italy, Taiwan, Japan, China, and their own factory in Golden, CO. If you buy knives from any of them, you still support an American company. Buy a good product because it's a good product. And remember, a lot of "foreign" companies are making stuff here now. Buying a Ford built in Mexico vs. a Honda built in Alabama doesn't really seem to have any difference to it, in my opinion.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
jdw

Post by jdw »

mrtodd777 wrote:My Gayle Bradleys are a testament to the supremacy of Taichung knives that Spyderco manufactures. They are worth much more than their price point suggests..
+1
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

It's been said and implied already, but I'll weigh in. Unless you're avoiding Taichung as part of a globalization protest (but search for Sal's reasons for Spyderco's locations), you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. Taichung's fit-and-finish is becoming legendary (but follow the bearing-race controversy, so that you approach flippers with eyes wide open).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:(but search for Sal's reasons for Spyderco's locations)
If you, or anyone else, has links to these posts, I would enjoy reading them.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I love all my Taichung Taiwan made knives. They are first class knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I had a USA only policy for a long time when it comes to guns and knives. A lot of that has to do with supporting the diminishing number of businesses that still manufacture in the US, a little national pride, and the idea right or wrong that the best are still made here. Part of what inspired the shift to American made knives was the abundance of cheap $4 Taiwan knives like the one I was carrying in the 90's. They were flimsy, took a lousy edge, and were rust magnets. Because of this I definitely developed a very negative attitude about knives from Taiwan..... 20 years later, Spyderco has inspired me to branch out and I now own several quality knives from seki. And by buying Seki made knives from Spyderco I am still supporting an American company if not US manufacturing. I still prefer knives from Golden, but I really like Japanese steel, and though I dont own any yet from taiwan, based on what I have seen and heard from other forum members I think you would be very happy with the quality. I understand where you are coming from though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

^^^ Haha, oh I always seem to find a good laugh on the forum someplace.
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still own some non Spyderco Taiwan knives from my youth that aren't worth their weight in tin foil. When Sal explained that the reason their knives have "Taichung, Taiwan" on them and not just Taiwan was because the maker wanted to be set apart from the rest, I got the sense that they take pride in what they do. That's something I can respect no matter what country is doing it. It doesn't hurt that fit and finish have been on par or better than any other production knife I've ever handled. Like everyone else, of course I would love it if they were all made in Golden, but I respect the work those folks are doing over there with these knives. Seeing really is believing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Vivi wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:(but search for Sal's reasons for Spyderco's locations)
If you, or anyone else, has links to these posts, I would enjoy reading them.
Wish I did, Vivi. But I know his various statements on the matter are here and on BF. They're off-handed, like his bombshells.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just wanted to add to the group of folks saying "do not discount the QC from Taiwan". The fit and finish and QC of the knives coming from Taichung are freaking awesome. With the Para 3 and the Native 5 Spyderco is quickly approaching the Taiwan level of fit and finish. In fact, after carrying the Native 5 G10 for 2 weeks now I think it's probably on par with Taichung Taiwan.

Great knives. Do not hesitate to buy a Spyderco from Taiwan. They are amazing. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

zacmangray wrote:^^^ Haha, oh I always seem to find a good laugh on the forum someplace.
I assume you were referring to the "Everybody Taichung Tonight" joke on the first page, and not to my comment. ;)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

carl3989 wrote:Is it just me or do you also pass on a purchase of a Spyderco knife made in Taiwan? Am I wrong to think that the quality of the knife is inferior to one made in the USA or Japan. Please explain to me why I may be wrong.
Remember:
Spyderco is a US company and Taiwan is an ally to the US so it's good to support them. I have a US first buying policy, not a US only buying policy. In order: US, allies, other.
My experience has been excellent with Spyderco knives made in Taiwan, FWIW.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I love Taiwan made knives. Now China, that is a different story. No matter what I might be missing, I just can't buy knives made there.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Flipping Addict wrote:I love Taiwan made knives. Now China, that is a different story. No matter what I might be missing, I just can't buy knives made there.

Exactly! Taichung Spydies are the best, the Golden models are getting better all the time though. :)
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

I have a "made in USA" policy, which I try to keep but, it has nothing to do with a lack of quality kives produced in other countries. Those Taiwanese Spydercos are well made.