What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite lock type?

Backlock or Midlock
33%
Liner/Frame lock
25%
BBL/CBBL
8%
Compression lock
33%

Total votes: 205

TheKnifeCollector

Re: What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I very much prefer frame locks, and that is pretty much all I own.
I also think liner lock & frame lock should their own category, as they ARE different.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:Sometimes I feel like the backlock gets overlooked or doesn't get quite the credit it deserves because it lacks a bit of the "cool factor". I'm happy to see it holding its own quite well in the poll.
You said it Lance. What the heck... I like back locks AND VG10!
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I chose the compression lock, but I hear you, Lance, on the back lock being more secure in hand when one-hand closing. I try to grasp my PM2 with my palm flesh and last two fingers when closing it with my thumb and index finger, and haven't dropped it yet. Then again, I'm not covered in fish blood, either, while doing this.

I think that proficiency grows by doing a task frequently in real world use. As a result, we become experts with the tools we use the most. I don't open and close my knife when I'm not using it, but I open and close it dozens of times a day when working.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Backlock.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I voted compression for favorite but my most used is backlock/midlock. Most of my favorite spyderco designs are midlocks. I'm glad spyderco did them right because you can easily close them one handed. Just need more large compression lock knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Last night I was hanging up my short pants. My Millie was in the pocket. It fell out and when it hit the floor, it flew open within a 1/4 inch of my foot. Liner locks, frame locks, and etc. that rely upon a detent will do this. This is only one reason why I prefer mid back locks as they have a strong bias towards staying closed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

Having no compression or ball bearing locks yet, I don't how I will like them.

I absolutely adore the axis lock, so I think I'll like the ball bearing lock.

My most used, however is the lockback delica and endura, but they aren't as smooth as other mechanisms.

I have liner locks and frame locks, but ever since a liner lock closed on and severely cut a finger (admittedly operator error in my younger days), I don't trust them as much as other locks.

Thus, i am undecided and though I answered the question, I won't cast a vote.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
PM1

Post by PM1 »

As a lefty, I'll choose backlock. It is very secure and easy to use one-handed with either hand. The worst are liner/frame locks. I am, however, looking forward to the left-hand PM2 and Military and will give them a try.
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

My favorite would be the liner lock, I loved how my sage felt closing it. With the finger choil I could let it drop into my thumb when closing and my fingers would be safe. My second favorite would be backlock, like others have said, it feels solid and secure. Miss my Caly 3.5, looking forward to trying compression lock for the first time when I get my hands on the Rhino, and RIL with the Techno 2. That will be my first Titanium Framelock, can’t wait :D
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Voted for Backlock and Compression Lock.
Getting more into backlocks again. Compression lock is fun to play with. This "R" locks up strong with a lot of confidence. We need more backlocks like this + an "R" sprint poll.
C
Attachments
2018-06-13 14.43.44.jpg
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Compression lock, Tri-Ad lock, Frame lock.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Compression lock, and it's not close.
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

I voted compression and CBBL because they are both easy to use one handed and the CBBL has a very satisfying snap as that spring moves the ball bearing into place.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Linerlock and backlock for me.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
attila

Post by attila »

In the 16 months since my last response, I carried a Manix LW every day for a year and got some compression locks. I still have more lockbacks than all others combined.

My most used is the compression lock (Para 3).
My favorite by far is the CBBL.

I don't carry a CBBL the most because the Manix is a tad too large for general carry for me. This is why I want a lil Manix more than any other knife.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

For me it would have to be the backlock followed closely by the compression lock.
The backlock is, as many have already said, the equivalent of an old friend, reliable and trustworthy. Especially in the Spyderco iteration.
I recently received a Sliverax, my first compression lock knife, and in my uneducated opinion the lock is phenomenal. This may go to the top of my list after more carry time.
Framelocks offend my sense of symmetry ;) (I'm a touch OCD)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I voted back/mid lock and compression lock. I used to be all about the compression lock until I had a Yo2 swing open when I was carrying it inside the waist band. Yikes! It poked a hole in my underwear, but lucky for me that was the only damage that was caused. I've thought about how the blade came open and I'm just not sure. The knife does have a Casey Lynch deep carry clip, but I'm not sure how that would effect things? To be perfectly honestly I'm still surprised this happened.

Since then I keep compression locks clipped to my pocket and I carry a tasman salt IWB. It seems like the more I use knives the more I'm getting away from tactical features and getting back to basics, midlocks and slipjoints have been a lot of what I carry lately.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It may be old and it may not be the state of the art, but for a lock that keeps the blade open and keeps it closed, you can’t beat the back/mid-lock. That what locks are for so why settle for anything less than optimal? It is ambidexterous and easily operable with one hand. Second would be a well engineered and executed liner lock.

I found BB and compression locks non-intuitive and requiring a change in grip and hand position that is more cumbersome.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

back lock for the reasons stated above by Michael ^^^`
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess it's really fair to say that I actually have two favorite types of locking systems for Spyderco folders. I have a sentimental favorite which is the ball bearing lock like the one used on the Spyderco Dodo model>> now I do think that the BBL is also a very fucntional, dependable lock as well. But my overall favorite from Spyderco is the compression lock. Even since the GUNTING model I've always had a special fascination about that type of locking sytem.

Albeit I'm not really hung up on any type of locking system per se because even Spyderco's "liner-lock" that most people tend to talk negative about has never failed me at all. Even their "lock-back" like the one on the Spyderhawk model has always served me very well. I can't say that I've ever had any of Spyderco's locking systems ever disappoint me at all.