Sal: C04 Sprint Run? (or a new C09 CoPilot Sprint Run)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The CoPilot

Sal: C04 Sprint Run? (or a new C09 CoPilot Sprint Run)

Post by The CoPilot »

Sal:

Is there any particular reason why the model C04 Executive has never had a Sprint Run? It was such a great design and size for EDC use.

It would love to see it comeback for a Sprint.

Photos: Top knife C04 Executive, bottom knife C32 Spur (2005 Sprint Run)
Attachments
RenderedContent-6F12A251-2435-4321-BDFE-08004A747178.JPG
RenderedContent-B0D5ACBC-16F1-425A-AB90-8E4A8A022542.JPG
Last edited by The CoPilot on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
sal

Re: Sal: C04 Sprint Run?

Post by sal »

We made one with Kraton inserts. Didn't go over so well. I'd rather do a CoPilot revision.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'll buy a copilot sprint. Bonus points if you use any steel but vg10
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Copilot sprint please :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Well, if the popularity of the Super Blue and HAP40 sprints of other models are any indication, I'd think Spyderco would have no problem selling out the entire sprint run of CoPilots in either of those steels.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

sal wrote:We made one with Kraton inserts. Didn't go over so well. I'd rather do a CoPilot revision.

sal
Sal:

You must be talking about the C32 Spur as a reissue of the C04 Executive? People were crazy not to receive that c32 very well, and I'm one of those weirdos who totally LOVED that model and own six of them (2 in the original partly serrated blade with black Kraton as well as two PEs and two SEs from the later Sprint Run with the gray Kraton). A C32 Spur is with me on every pheasant hunt as I have found them to be a perfect bird knife. I also think I could field-dress big game with that knife but have never attempted it. I know that the C32 Spur shared a handle with the C04 Executive, but with the Spur's different blade profile I have always considered it to be a sibling to the Executive rather than a reissue. One thing I love the most about the original C04 Executive was its amazing blade profile. Very unique, practical and recognizable. I would love to see a Sprint of the Executive with that original blade profile.

All that aside, there seems to solid and growing support for a new Sprint Run of the amazing C09 CoPilot (or perhaps a redesigned CoPilot 2?), and I can totally get behind that! There have been a whole lot of new blade steels introduced since I was last active in the market in 2010 when my daughter was born. I would love to see another CoPilot and if there is anything I can do to assist with making that a reality, just let me know (forum polls on blade steels and handle materials, etc.). I would be glad to do whatever I can to help the newest generation of Spyderco AFIs have a chance to experience the great design of the C09 CoPilot!

And speaking of C09 CoPilots, Sal, if you read this in time, pop over to W&R and ask Charlynn if they still have my brass-lined PE and SE from the original run in 1987. I sent them in a few weeks ago for touch ups at the "Sypdie Spa" and thought you might get a kick out of seeing these old pocket warriors. :spyder:

Just realized that since it's 2017 now, we can all wish the C09 CoPilot a very happy 30th birthday!! :D
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
bob7

Post by bob7 »

A Co-Pilot sprint would be awesome. The co-pilot is a favorite of mine, and in today's large knife phobia times the cutting ability of the smaller blade combined with the comfortable handle of the co-pilot would hit the spot.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I will definitely get a couple if they are made. I've said it before in another thread, but I'd like to see one of the super steels in a small knife, like Cruwear.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree a Spur would be nice and so would a Navigator.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

+ 1 on Navigator!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Whether a Sprint for the Spur, Navigator, Co-Pilot, or Executive, count me in! Of these, I'd especially like to see a Co-Pilot Sprint. FFG VG-10, TI-scales, lanyard hole with a wire clip = perfection.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

SpyderNut wrote:Of these, I'd especially like to see a Co-Pilot Sprint. FFG VG-10, TI-scales, lanyard hole with a wire clip = perfection.
That would be sweet. Personally, I'd love a CoPilot with titanium scales for EDC. But that handle material would drive up the price and might keep it out of the reach of lots of folks who might otherwise get a chance to experience the CoPIlot this time around. We've got a whole new generation of Spyderco fans who have never had a chance to get a CoPilot in their hands.

We might was well start the discussion. If Spyderco were to do another Sprint Run of the C09 CoPilot, what handle materials and blade steel would you like to see? Where would you like to see the price point of the knife land? I have some thoughts but would love to hear yours first. Post 'em up!
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

Larry_Mott wrote:+ 1 on Navigator!
+2! Navigator = slimmed down Meerkat with a good ol' back lock. I love both but Navigator is so thin it just disappears in pocket 'til it's needed & is very discrete even in lightweight dress/work pants.

(I'm a sucker for all of those <2.5" ones with the choil and 3 finger grooves, though. Navigator, Meerkat and Salsa were sorta pre-Sage Sages - same general shape and ergos but different scale mats and locks.)
(Sent from iPod)
Northglenn500

Re: Sal: C04 Sprint Run? (or a new C09 CoPilot Sprint Run)

Post by Northglenn500 »

I think it would definitely have to have a metal handle. A G10 or FRN handle would change the personality of the knife - IMHO. It's been a while since we've had an aluminum handled knife. That could be fun, and maybe cut down the cost?
bob7

Post by bob7 »

How about a vg-10 blade with metal frame with copper scales on the outside????????? Spyderco could sell different metal scales like brass or titanium or steel plating.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

These are all great ideas! Keep them coming!!
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Old style metal clip or wire clip?
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Northglenn500 wrote:Old style metal clip or wire clip?
Depends on the scale material, right? Metal handles = metal clip, FRN or G10 etc could be either wire clip or metal clip.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It would be great if they used an Aluminum + Scandium handle. Lighter and stronger than Titanium.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Doc Dan wrote:It would be great if they used an Aluminum + Scandium handle. Lighter and stronger than Titanium.
That is an interesting concept! Any idea how expensive it would be to use Scandium aluminum for the scales? Has Spyderco ever done a Scandium handle scale before? If I understand it correctly the Scandium is combined with the aluminum when the metal sheets are created so the product is a homogenous metal alloy rather than a coating on the aluminum. I assume the product can then be cut and milled to shape? Love the concept but I fear the price point associated with AlSc handle scales.