Super Blue??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Super Blue??

Post by jdw »

I am thinking of paying far more than original pricing for some Super Blue.
For those of you who use it, do you think that it would be worth the the price gouge
to grab some? I know this is a subjective question but I am neither rich nor poor so cost is relative.
I use knives but I also like messing around with unique steels and I currently
don't own any Super Blue. I am thinking Dfly or Delica. Thanks yet again for your knowledge
and perspective.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SG89

Re: Super Blue??

Post by SG89 »

If you can find Hap40 Delica or dfly cheaper than get it instead. I prefer Hap40 to Superblue.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Go on, then, I'll be the one to tell you what you want to hear ...

.... you HAVE to have some SuperBlue!!
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

It's a good steel but I wouldn't pay a bunch extra for it over VG10.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I really like superblue, the way it sharpens, the way it cuts, the way it patinas. It has a unique character.

If you like playing with steels, I'd say you definitely need some.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Love me some super blue, easy to sharpen and gets... Well super sharp. How about a little push.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Nate

Post by Nate »

These two do it for me, sorry the pic isn't great:

Had a couple of the frn SB sprints too, but moved them on after a while. Victims of too many other knives in the rotation.
:spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's a great steel that sharpens easily and likes sharp, thin edges. It does need more maintenance than VG10, for instance. If you like these attributes get it. Only you know if it fits your idea of good value though. Good luck.

Joe
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Nate's pic shows G10, not FRN, but no matter. What it also shows is uncladded SB. I do wish cladding did not predominate Spyderco's SB and HAP40 offerings. Takes away the patina fun, and the softish cladding scratches badly. But, whatever, you'll like SB if you're steel-curious.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Donut

Post by Donut »

If I were you, I would probably try to wait for a reasonable price on one. I think I traded away my extras.

It's a pretty special steel and it's worth having something that you will use in it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dman62

Post by dman62 »

The Delica Super Blue is riding in my pocket right now. Cut up some boxes to put in the recycling bin tonight. Scary sharp slicer. Don't overpay, be patient . You might consider the stretch as well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the steel, but I would not over pay for it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Super blue is interesting. You can tell that it is a really hard steel when you sharpen it, and the edge definitely doesn't roll so it's high on the edge stability. When you get it really sharp, it doesn't cut aggressively, but more like a razor blade; really smooth.

The cladding shows scratches, but is very functional. I don't regret buying a SB delica or stretch, even though I don't use or carry the stretch ever. I bought both used and I carry the delica all the time.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
BTG

Post by BTG »

Donut wrote:If I were you, I would probably try to wait for a reasonable price on one. I think I traded away my extras.

It's a pretty special steel and it's worth having something that you will use in it.
Traded....or maybe you felt sorry for some poor slob and let him have an extra Endura you had laying around at Cost...possibly like a measly 80 bucks...very much appreciated...have them all but the D2....still kicking myself about that....
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If the wharncliffe Delica sells well then I wouldn't be surprised if it gets the Super Blue and HAP40 treatment, so my advice would be to just be patient.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
harronek

Post by harronek »

I own a SB Delica and I'm super happy I do , but mainly for the reason of steel diversity , not because the steel is anything amazing .
It does take a scary sharp edge , but how sharp do you actually need on a EDC knife , my Hap40 , ZDP189 and VG10 Delicas all shave hair easily .
I have an old Carbon Steel Tradional slipjoint that sharpens up and performs in a similar way to Superblue and it was made in the 1920's so its not like SB has delivered truly ground breaking performance .
I live in a tropical enviroment and of all my Spydercos my SB is the first to show rust/corrosion if I dont clean and protect it regularly.
So my conclusion is that I really like it , but a lot of that love comes from it being different , not because of any great attributes or performance .

If you look closely at this pic you will see how rust is developing inside the Spydie hole , this developed over a 24 hour period after opening the knife with sweaty hands in a summertime tropical enviroment , none of my other Spydercos have ever done this , even my ones made from M4 which is supposed to be rust prone .

Ken
Donut

Post by Donut »

BTG wrote:
Donut wrote:If I were you, I would probably try to wait for a reasonable price on one. I think I traded away my extras.

Traded....or maybe you felt sorry for some poor slob and let him have an extra Endura you had laying around at Cost...possibly like a measly 80 bucks...very much appreciated...have them all but the D2....still kicking myself about that....
Hey, no problem at all. I hope you're getting good use out of it.

The Dragonfly? That's a pretty sweet one if you ask me. The Dragonfly is a good one to have in Super Blue because the Dragonfly is good to have when it is super sharp.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Depends on your budget. Personally I have regretted selling my Super Blue Caly 3 for years now, but never enough to pay the price hike. Its my favorite steel in the patina category and takes an amazing edge very easily. Great for light use.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I hate how all the sprints have become "instant collectibles"

Guess I'll get a Super Blue kitchen knife
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

GarageBoy wrote:I hate how all the sprints have become "instant collectibles"
Maybe I shouldn't ask, but how come?
*edit, I just noticed, anything to do with NY knife law?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal