2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Re: 2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Post by this_is_nascar »

Sharp Guy wrote:
this_is_nascar wrote:In that 2nd picture, if you place the liner on top and in place, does that depict this knife using the stop-pin? I'd be disappointed to learn the FRN version does not use a stop pin.
See the first pic. The liner is in place and is used as a stop for the pin.
Thanks, I missed that viewing on my phone. Glad to see this. It is different than the other versions, as the pin rides in a milled channel, not along an edge as in this FRN version.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

this_is_nascar wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
this_is_nascar wrote:In that 2nd picture, if you place the liner on top and in place, does that depict this knife using the stop-pin? I'd be disappointed to learn the FRN version does not use a stop pin.
See the first pic. The liner is in place and is used as a stop for the pin.
Thanks, I missed that viewing on my phone. Glad to see this. It is different than the other versions, as the pin rides in a milled channel, not along an edge as in this FRN version.
No prob! On the new LW it's implemented a little differently but accomplishing the same thing. They just changed the location of the pin and where it stops on the liners. This way they could remove material from the liners to reduce weight.

Sorry for the poor pic. I took that for reference when I took my CF Chap apart to clean it awhile ago. It wasn't really intended for anyone else to see.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

So really when you get down to it, the FRN Chaparral is quite a bit different than the other Chaparral offerings. It's just not "a Chaparral with FRN scales"

There's quite a few differences under the covers. I'm not saying that a good or bad thing, just different.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharp Guy wrote:In case anyone's curious....

EDIT: Knife has PB washers. Not shown in pic.

EDIT #2: I replicated the pic that I took last night and the washer was actually on the knife. It didn't show due to the glare from the task lighting overhead. I reshot the pic from a different angle so the washer now shows.
Where is the stop pin track?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:Where is the stop pin track?
It's invisible! :D

More seriously, the stop pin rides outside the front of the liner around the pivot.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This is a huge design change from the stop pin in a cut out track that other Chaparral models have.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:This is a huge design change from the stop pin in a cut out track that other Chaparral models have.
I don't see it as a huge design change. The stop pin on the new FRN/LW model is doing the same thing it is on the other Chaparrals. What you're calling a "track" is nothing more than an opening in the liners to allow the stop pin to travel freely and stop on the liner at the top and bottom of it's travel. Just like it's doing on the new model. It's not really a track at all since it's not actually guiding the pin. The pivot controls the arc of the pin. On the new model the only real difference is that they relocated the pin on the blade so they can reduce the size of the liners. I think the new design is more efficient than the other Chaparral models.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, looking at it, it does look more efficient. I was surprised that the cutout was not there any longer. This is a really interesting knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Got mine today as a gift from the family. It's laser sharp and I'm liking the new grip pattern. As others have said, the lock bar tension is quite high. I love how thin it is. Overall, an excellent Chapparal.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

:) Got my Chap LW today, what a delightful little knife. I like my Chap carbon fiber S30V, but I think this one is going to be in my pocket more. XHP is one of my top steels, just the super sharp edge and ease of sharpening, make it so. The FRP traction is great. The gray color is quite pleasing, most of all the thin scales send it into my pocket. ;)
Pictures later.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SG89

Post by SG89 »

after carrying this knife 3 weeks the lock has broken in nicely and this has become my go to knife for edc. if you like small knives and you need a light duty office knife don't hesitate to buy this knife. price is nice and it's a slicey little gem. also wire clip ftw.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Here are a few pictures of the gray knives. The old Calypso Jr is a bit darker.

Nice.
Etched the shine off the clip, not so flashy.

This Chap was really hard to unlock, weakened the spring a tiny bit, works great. Came in super sharp. The scale is aggressive on my pants, so I lightly sanded.......better.
Love this knife!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Man gull wing, that Calypso Jr. is like a grail for me.......... lucky dog! ;)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

T_MAC686 wrote:Man gull wing, that Calypso Jr. is like a grail for me.......... lucky dog! ;)
You'll have opportunity at one in 2018. There is going to be a sprint run.
Justin
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

crazywednesday wrote:You'll have opportunity at one in 2018. There is going to be a sprint run.
Yea I know but I was hoping that it would be in VG-10, Super Blue sounds fun and I debated pre-ordering one but I prefer the minimal maintenance that VG-10 requires..
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

T_MAC686 wrote: Yea I know but I was hoping that it would be in VG-10.... I prefer the minimal maintenance that VG-10 requires..
Biggest disappointment in the new catalog. I would have EDC'd the heck out of a stainless steel.
- best wishes, Jazz.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Jazz wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote: Yea I know but I was hoping that it would be in VG-10.... I prefer the minimal maintenance that VG-10 requires..
Biggest disappointment in the new catalog. I would have EDC'd the heck out of a stainless steel.
I'm with you man.. Hopefully this model will be received well and we may see another run in VG-10, XHP, or some other similar cost effective stainless steel.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A little Vaseline, a coating so light you cannot feel it or see it, is all it takes to keep Super Blue looking good.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Doc Dan wrote:A little Vaseline, a coating so light you cannot feel it or see it, is all it takes to keep Super Blue looking good.
I just wish I could get to the pivot to maintain the steel there too but since this is pinned construction I’ll just keep my fingers crossed for a VG-10 version ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Vaseline in the pivot/works. Never an issue and I live in the jungle.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050