2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sonarsessions

Re: 2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Post by sonarsessions »

Personally the current Chaparral in CF/CTS-XHP is a steal at the price range, and pretty lightweight at 2.5
I'd be interested in seeing what the weight difference is when switched to FRN with what I assume will be milled liners like the Delica.

I really enjoy the pocket clip, which is similar in style to the Dragonfly 2 too - will definitely consider this come release time.
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

sal wrote:We've got production in-house. I carried one today. It was one of my "baby's so I've been on it. I know it's a first run piece, and I'm certainly biased, but I think it's a winner.

sal
Fantastic! I am sooooo hoping I can request this as my Christmas gift this year!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sweet, looking forward to pics/details.
:spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ooooh Sweeeettt! I am clearing my cart waiting on this one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Excellent news! I'm really looking forward to the FRN Chaparral
carrot

Post by carrot »

I know for sure that the FRN Chaparral will become a favorite EDC. The other Chaparrals are so good, but there's nothing like FRN when you want something nice and simple that can also take some hard knocks.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

What color are the scales?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

sal wrote:We've got production in-house. I carried one today. It was one of my "baby's so I've been on it. I know it's a first run piece, and I'm certainly biased, but I think it's a winner.

sal

At last, A Golden frn Chappie!

thanks, Sal
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'm assuming it will be liner less, like the Native-5.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

nicked.onaut wrote:

sal

thanks, Sal
What's wrong with the Taiwan made ones ? :o
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

nicked.onaut wrote:

sal

thanks, Sal
I think this may just be referring to them having production samples in-house and not necessarily "in-house production". Either way I'm looking forward to it. Maybe Dark Green FRN!?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Having seen no photos I am wondering if this FRN version will have the same blade configuration and lock as the present version but have lighter weight FRN without liners and if the handle configuration will remain the same or be re-shaped for the FRN material?

And, finally, will it cost less than the current CF model?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If it uses the same internal stop pin as the other Chaps I would guess that it needs liners. I am curious about this one as well.

If this comes in at the same price as the Delica it will be a winner for sure and may be my standard knife that I give for gifts. I am a Chap fan already!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I can answer definitively about the liners, as long as nothing changes from the sample at Blade Show 2017. There are definitely liners. They are skeletonized, and they're inset further into the handles than the previous models. I'd guess they're somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the height of the scale as a whole.
But, my guess is that nothing will have changed with the internal construction otherwise.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

oh sweet... need to rearrange my shopping plans the chappy is one awesome edc knife and the thin blade stock is a plus as well...
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

MichaelScott wrote:Having seen no photos I am wondering if this FRN version will have the same blade configuration and lock as the present version but have lighter weight FRN without liners and if the handle configuration will remain the same or be re-shaped for the FRN material?

And, finally, will it cost less than the current CF model?
My expectations to what the FRN/Lightweight Chaparral was going to be was a linerless, FRN scaled knife that otherwise mirrors the CF Chaparral exactly.

Anything less than that makes this not a Chaparral and thus a huge dissappointment to me. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

dplafoll wrote:I can answer definitively about the liners, as long as nothing changes from the sample at Blade Show 2017. There are definitely liners. They are skeletonized, and they're inset further into the handles than the previous models. I'd guess they're somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the height of the scale as a whole.
But, my guess is that nothing will have changed with the internal construction otherwise.
I could live with this. I forget about the presence of the stop pin, requiring liners.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

This might be my first Chaparral! But I'd want FRN in something other than black.
A lifetime ago I did buy a couple Chaparrals for a girlfriend. Very well made, thin and lightweight.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

this_is_nascar wrote:
dplafoll wrote:I can answer definitively about the liners, as long as nothing changes from the sample at Blade Show 2017. There are definitely liners. They are skeletonized, and they're inset further into the handles than the previous models. I'd guess they're somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the height of the scale as a whole.
I could live with this. I forget about the presence of the stop pin, requiring liners.
My Chapparal was my second Spyderco, and I still love it just as much now. I have a Raffir Noble in my future for sure and I've handled every other version of it. I can tell you that the FRN version is just as thin, just as ergonomic, and feels lighter in the hand. The CF version is 2.5oz, and I would be shocked if the FRN version is not less than 2oz, and maybe more like 1.75. I can't remember for sure, but I could swear I remember the one I handled didn't have a metal backspacer, but don't quote me on that.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2